Ola Pessoas Amigas- Hi Friends

My name is helen p.  I currently live in the USA, but am of Portuguese descent.  I speak Portuguese but was born in USA.  I am thinking of visiting/living in Portugal. 

Firstly, the area that I am interested is Beja (Alentejo), however I would consider the Algarve area. 

Secondly, I would truly like to live in an area that has British or Americans close by. 

Thirdly, my son lives in the north of Portugal and is paying $200 euros monthly for rent.  He is also considering moving south to where it is warmer and perhaps has an English speaking community. I bring up the rent here because on-line I might not get a cheap price and we are both looking for this price range. If it went to $300 we would be ok too.  Someone who is living in these areas might be able to help or steer me in the right direction. 

Are there major supermarkets in these areas?  Any bookstores with English literature?

If anyone can give me some information regarding the above I would truly appreciate it. 
Kindest regards,  helen p.

I hope my questions are within bounds.

Regarding bookstores with English literature, any major bookstore chain in a big mall have usually one dedicated shelf, or sometimes one entire area - not all about "English literature", but "English language", that is. Sometimes other languages are around too. There can be a lost bookstore somewhere selling only that particular market, but that is outside my knowledge. Of course big malls are mostly in urban areas.

Anyway, since online retail is an evergrowing activity, ANY major online store will sell books written in Portuguese (duh), Spanish, French and English, not counting those big ones selling from abroad, so that is the least of your problem.

“The areas i'm interested” – Well, let me tell you something. Beja is pretty big. It's the largest district in Portugal, and it's largest than 30 countries, and would be within the top-100 US counties (sources differ a little, but that's not important right now). It's also the least densily populated by sq./mil., so that means things are more spread.
Regarding major supermarkets, you will not find many in the district. Only in its capital (The city of Beja), there are all the major brands, and a few others in some other cities or villages. In the district of Beja, considering all the places, food retail is mostly a type of business of small markets.

In the Algarve, things are different, according to your words, you will be closer to the beach, so don't worry. In the Algarve there are close to 100 major supermarkets.
About the English speaking community, that's not my department. Of course there are  few around, but i have the feeling that foreign communities in some areas can be very seasonal.

Why are you interested living in Portugal and only concerned about foreign communities, even more if you speak Portuguese? I know that's none of my business, but it's strange.

Thanks so much for replying.  I really appreciate all the information you gave me.

With regards to my move, I have a son who is there and likes it.  If possible, he would like to me to join him.  He is considering a bigger city with a lot more available.  Smaller cities have less food then we are used to although healthier.   I must admit that I, as well as my son, enjoy browsing through a bookstore rather than sitting at a computer all day --that's where everybodies at right now.  It seems like we are all just sitting in a waiting room.  English speaking community would be nice for both of us but having said that I was always fascinated by the gypsies.

I am trying to find a place with variety in many areas -- if possible.

My biggest problem is probably the rent for both of us.  We do lead separate lives.  If you have any knowledge in this area let me know.

Thanks so much.  Kindest regards, H.

just wondering, with the Brexit will the british expat community leave South of Portugal ?
There was some movement reported due to the currency exchange meltdown.
Maybe some great housing opportunity will be available ?
What do you think ?