The natives of Ecuador use Whatsapp. Why not Skype?

I created this thread after seeing an article on New York Times Spanish website today. There is a link at the start of the first paragraph to an English version.

http://www.nytimes.com/es/2016/12/27/wh … migrantes.

I guess the answer to my question may be because when you buy minutes with Movistar you get free minutes with whatsapp.  The other day when I put $3 on my account, I got a certain quantity of megs (I think 10 megs that expire in 5 days.  So if I was in a non-wifi zone I could call another person who has Whatsapp on their for phone for free.   

And for the big money expats with monthly plans with Movistar and maybe Claro, their plans often allow them to make unlimited calls with Whatsapp or unlimited use of Facebook.

Skype also has its advantages, but it is a phone-centric world for many.

The free megas are definitely a way to maintain market dominance. I think WhatsApp strategy was brilliant in the manner they entered markets in developing countries, they made deals with phone makers, cellular service providers, distributers to get their app to as many people as possible. So, they're smart and it's not a surprise WhattsApp is second to none in number of users worldwide or over 1 billion.

Their technology is also great, the sheer simplicity of it, simply download the app if it's not pre-installed and you are good to go, you don't have to sign up for an account. It's also flawless with new faster phones as well as cheaper models that are used widely in Ecuador. And of course, they always continue to upgrade and introduce new features, for example video call is now available.

Lastly, everyone uses it here, even many businesses. What good is a app if no one else uses it.

If Whatsapp died tomorrow morning, Indonesia would go into meltdown.
Lots use Line, but WA is king.

Video calls just locked it into the number 1 slot for a long time to come.

Lol, the same would happen in Mexico. I remember a couple of years ago when there are problems with WhatsApp for a few days and people suddenly forgot how to communicate.

WhatsApp is by far the most popular app for communication in Latin America and probably the world. Many carriers usually include unlimited WhatsApp and Facebook messenger in their cell plans.

Instant Messenger works from an Amazon Kindle Fire.
WhatsApp still needs to work out the nks.
But it's great to be able to easily VOIP someone without getting cut off when your minutes run out!

Skype can be a pain. Every time you sign in from a new device the daft software claims you've been hacked and locks you out.
I only keep it so I can keep in touch with my technophobe mum.

We've found that ooVoo is better quality than Skype and easier to use.  You can have video calls with at least 4 people at once, that's the max we've used, but I think it allows up to 12 at once.  From the US to Colombia it has worked well, the limitation of course being the quality and speed of your internet connection.

Whatsap is awesome and allows you to be in contact all over the world and with people here since most have it.

My only complaint with WhatsApp is the inconsistent call quality. In that regard, Skype is tends to be better. However, as was mentioned earlier, with WhatsApp recently adding video calling, it has secured it's place as the number one messaging app for the foreseeable future.

Whether we agree or not, texting is the primary mode of communication nowadays. And it's not limited to kids or millennials it's the norm worldwide. For example, I was texting my wife back and forth about an hour this morning and we text throughout the day when she's not here. Earlier this afternoon I had a text session of about 30 minutes with a friend in Ecuador. And WhatsApp is number one in this regard. Phone calls are for really important stuff imho, and video calls are absolutely necessary when you want to see friends and loved ones, but in general the primary mode of communication is texting.

I use Skype for a grand total of three people, and because I have to. My mom doesn't even use it anymore as we communicate through iMessage (FaceTime), same with my kids because for whatever reason they prefer it and I think because their friends communicate with them that way.

Seriously, open whatsapp and your contacts are there with their profile pic and latest text. Click on a contact and in the same screen you can text, call, or video call. It doesn't get easier than that.

Nothing compares, and obviously more than a billion other people agree.

Skype has the advantage of a skype local number so my mum can call at a local rate.
I don't think the others do that, but I'm open to correction.

My university students introduced me to Whatsapp.  It is great, very convenient, hip,  as you say.
Just don't talk dirty or say anything you want to keep private.

I have Skype on my phone, and it works just as well as when using it on my computer.  I prefer Wechat to What'sApp, tho.

Absolutely everyone in the world uses WhatsApp, except in the US. Facebook, owners of Whatsapp, subsidies its and all Facebook's products with free cell minutes, as has been mentioned.

We were shocked by its popularity, but as we have circumnavigated the globe over the last 9 years or so, it became obvious it was the messaging app of choice. It also has the advantage of transferring your account no matter what your phone number is, so we have managed to stay in touch as we move from country to country, and prepaid chip to prepaid chip.

Skype, now owned by Microsoft, is, and always has been, for me,, one of the lesser alternatives for video or voice conferencing (although it is better than the quality of  Whatsapp or Messanger).

Apple's FaceTime is far superior in quality, but both ends must have an Apple product to use it. If you use FaceTime for video, don't forget it can do voice only as well, which comes in perfectly even with the worst connections.

I now carry my Amazon Kindle Fire, a tablet, as my communications device.  Everyone knows to try me on Instant Messenger first.

I have a very basic cell phone for receiving my Claro calls but the Tablet (which I got for about $75 in the USA and had someone bring in to Ecuado for me) completes my communication needs.

HI,
Ok, I understand using Whatsapp and basic Claro for phone.  Would  you explain more what basic Claro is?  We still need a skype account to stay in touch with family in the USA. How much is that in Ecuador?
Thanks,
Robin

Claro and Movistar are top providers of cell phone service / minutes in major cities in Ecuador.

I've had both in Quito at different times and haven't noticed a difference.

cccmedia

RobinJoel wrote:

HI,
Ok, I understand using Whatsapp and basic Claro for phone.  Would  you explain more what basic Claro is?  We still need a skype account to stay in touch with family in the USA. How much is that in Ecuador?
Thanks,
Robin

I understood "basic claro" to mean a crappy cellphone with a Claro sim chip that has limited functionality similar to the model owned by our expert in the historical district of Quito.

Skype to Skype calls are free, while Skype to  landlines or cellphones are not.

Despite unhinged support for WhatsApp in some circles, Skype is still superior in many respects. I have Skype installed on my PC, laptop, tablets and cellphones.  If I get a text message via skype at home, I know I will hear its notication and can easily retrieve and respond. If I get a text message on WhatsApp, my cellphone may be in another part of the house, it may be buried in my backpack or the battery may be completely dischaged.

Skype is much better for video/voice calls not to mention interoperability, as in you can use it on a tablet, phone, pc...etc. WhatsApp is mainly limited to phones although they now have a desktop client. I would prefer to not use WhatsApp if it weren't for the fact everyone I communicate with uses it.

Andrew242 wrote:

Skype is much better for video/voice calls not to mention interoperability, as in you can use it on a tablet, phone, pc...etc. WhatsApp is mainly limited to phones although they now have a desktop client. I would prefer to not use WhatsApp if it weren't for the fact everyone I communicate with uses it.

I do  like the desktop app for WhatsApp, but since it requires that the cellphone be turned on and in the vicinity  of my computer to use ,  it still isn't as convenient as using Skype when at home.

RobinJoel wrote:

HI,
Thanks,
Robin

If you're going to use a smartphone, I recommend Movistar over Claro because the plans, data will be cheaper. Initially I had Claro a choice I made and simply bought a SIM card and placed it in my smartphone. But as expats we learn and for value Movistar is will give you the most for your dollar.

There is a good thread about wireless providers which is informative. At present there is a weekly prepaid Movistar package for $3 that Nards posted about, and if we're talking dollar and data value then it's comparable to entry level postpaid data plans. So it's a good place to start before committing to postpaid plans if you decide to go that way.

Whatsapp and Skype are used for social and casual interactions. But for business video calling and conferences, apps like webex, gomeetnow, gotomeeting, R-HUB HD video conferencing servers etc. are widely used by businesses gobally. They work well.