Zug or Zurich? Where is better to live?

Dear expat community,

I will be moving to Switzerland next year to work in Zug and I am consumed with the dilemma on where to live.
I am looking for a 2 bedroom flat to rent and I m not sure where it would be better to do so, either in Zug (that I am concerned might be quite boring being a small town) or in Zurich (where I am afraid the renting cost would be very high and, i understood, tax would be higher as well).
Could you please share your experience/opinion and let me know plus/minuses and any advice? Would appreciate also some rough cost estimates (looking to understand if feasible to rent a nice 2 bedroom non furnished flat for less than 2000CHF per month in both cities).
Thanks

Alessandro

Hi Allesandro,
First of all: Zug and Zürich are not that far apart. It's half an hour by train, trains run every 30 minutes at least.
Both Zürich and Zug boast in accomodation prices. For accomodation, you can check www.immoscout24.ch. Search for "3-Zimmer" and up if you're looking for a 2 bedroom flat. 2'000 CHF/month will not be easy in Zug but should be possible with some patience and effort. In Zürich, you will have difficulties to find anything in or near the city center at all, particularly if you are on a budget. In other words: it may take quite some time to travel to Zürich city center from your Zurich appartment as well and travel time from Zug may be even shorter or comparable...

Offers mentionning "WG" mean, that the offer is *one* room in such a flat; you share kitchen, bath, and living room with other inhabitants of the same appartment. The price is accordingly, of course.

May be you should consider Thalwil as a compromise. It will be easier to find accomodation there, train travel time to Zürich is 8-15 Minutes (with up to 8 departures per hour) and to Zug it is 15 Minutes (two departures every 30 minutes per hour).