Fajardo Area

I'm a sponge right now, looking to absorb everything I can of this area.
I'm seriously looking at it a base for further experiences in the SVI and USVI.

I'm headed down this March to do a walk-about. Check out the Marina's and basic layout of the town.

Let's start with how to get there from the US?
Assuming San Juan is where I'll land...
Car rental?
Place to stay? Not cheap, but real Fajardo. Somewhere close to the water (doesn't have to be on).

You know of a Live-aboard sailboat I could rent for part of the stay. Very interested.
You know of a good charter sailboat.. very interested.

Good God Mon.. Stop.. You'll drive these people crazy with your questions.
You're right.. I'll stop know..
Things I deal with in my head... LOL

Looking forward to meeting you and any responses.

OK. First, you will fly to SJU. Yes, you need to rent a car. The Fajardo Inn is nice.   Also look at Air BnB.  Yes you can go sailing. Charters are big bucks, but there are some nice day sails: Captains who have a six-pack so there are a limited number of folks on the boat. You can help sail, or not help.  I recommend Erin Go Bragh.  Remember to bring your passport in case you get to sail to the BVIs.  When do you plan on coming?

Land in San Juan, take 66 south I think, on to PR3 which will take you right to Fajardo.
There are several car rentals right at the airport and several around the airport that send a van every 5 minutes or so. Get the best price you can online is my best recommendation. Check with your insurance to see if they cover you.

Check AirBnB and others like it or stay at the Fajardo Inn which is not bad.

SVi boat club with Capt'n Pap is awesome...
sviboatclub.com
They also have a boat on the marina for overnight stays ...search Comfy 37' Sailboat at the Marina on Airbnb

ReyP wrote:

Land in San Juan, take 66 south I think, on to PR3 which will take you right to Fajardo.
There are several car rentals right at the airport and several around the airport that send a van every 5 minutes or so. Get the best price you can online is my best recommendation. Check with your insurance to see if they cover you.

Check AirBnB and others like it or stay at the Fajardo Inn which is not bad.

Well now, out of Worcester I see. I'm out of New Hampshire so probably flying out of Boston (assuming as you do). I see Jet Blue does a non-stop at a decent price. What airlines has worked best for you?

Thank you folks!

I hear cell service is good down there. Most seem to be using AT&T.. I'm a Verizon guy..
Any issues with that??

Also told that Internet is good down there, but Wifi can be sketchy. One actually recommended hot spotting my phone vs. Wifi.
Your thoughts on this??

Check with Verizon to see if your plan includes Puerto Rico. 
There are some car rental companies that are located inside SJU and some where you take a free shuttle bus.  I do not remember which is which. 
There is an EZ Pass system here. The rental companies will charge you a flat daily fee or some other way of charging you.  TAKE THE DEAL, whatever it is.  You cannot pull up to a toll booth and give them cash for the exact amount of that toll, and toll booths do not give change.
Speed limits are in miles per hour, distance signage is in kilometers, gas is sold by the liter. And you can purchase rum at the gas station min-marts.

Bad news. Verizon does not exist in PR, you are roming there and what service you get sucks big time. All other work fine. With Verizon expect nothing but trouble.

I mostly use Jet Blue out of Boston.

Not many places have wifi so you are using data most of of the time and will have issues if using Verizon.

A non Verizon MiFi will work fine for phone, tablet or computer. You could use WiFi calling if available on your phone and there is a wifi or MiFi you can connect to.

frogrock wrote:

And you can purchase rum at the gas station min-marts.

You can purchase it by the pint, liter, and gallon.  :lol:

Another option that may work well for you if your phone is unlocked, contact T-mobile, ATT, or Sprint about getting a SIM card and service from them for a month or less but you will get a new phone number with the SIM card. After the trip remove the SIM card and replace it with the Verizon one and call to terminate the temporary SIM card plan to make sure you are not renewed.

AT&T - works well in PR

frogrock wrote:

Check with Verizon to see if your plan includes Puerto Rico. 
There are some car rental companies that are located inside SJU and some where you take a free shuttle bus.  I do not remember which is which. 
There is an EZ Pass system here. The rental companies will charge you a flat daily fee or some other way of charging you.  TAKE THE DEAL, whatever it is.  You cannot pull up to a toll booth and give them cash for the exact amount of that toll, and toll booths do not give change.
Speed limits are in miles per hour, distance signage is in kilometers, gas is sold by the liter. And you can purchase rum at the gas station min-marts.

LOL! Speed in MPH, but all else Euro... and you can buy Rum while filling up! LOL!
Toll Booths??? Really?? Wasn't expecting that.. What's the cost at a Toll?
Currency is US right? Have to ask now with the US/Euro thing going on..

ReyP wrote:

Bad news. Verizon does not exist in PR, you are roming there and what service you get sucks big time. All other work fine. With Verizon expect nothing but trouble.

I mostly use Jet Blue out of Boston.

Not many places have wifi so you are using data most of of the time and will have issues if using Verizon.

A non Verizon MiFi will work fine for phone, tablet or computer. You could use WiFi calling if available on your phone and there is a wifi or MiFi you can connect to.

Have a feeling you're on AT&T then...
May have a switch coming.
Something better than AT&T? Especially since you're in my area (so to speak) you may have found?

ReyP wrote:

Another option that may work well for you if your phone is unlocked, contact T-mobile, ATT, or Sprint about getting a SIM card and service from them for a month or less but you will get a new phone number with the SIM card. After the trip remove the SIM card and replace it with the Verizon one and call to terminate the temporary SIM card plan to make sure you are not renewed.

Well, I should have read further.
I'll look into that deeper. Have this feeling my wife's Android may have some use after all.. Sorry to all you Android users.. I'm an IPhone guy, have been for years. Don't take it personal.

Sitka wrote:

AT&T - works well in PR

So I'm hearing from my Boating forum. Thank you for confirming.
Can you confirm that you can get a signal through the SVI's?
Then of course, into the USVI's..

Everyone swears by att, t-mobile and sprint. All good.
I plan to switch to T-mobile by January while still in the states.

Yes US dollars are god in PR, we no longer use Reales or Pesetas (old Spain money).

Yes it is weird, lucky my maps application can handle it. But GPS address finding sucks in the island because a town may have several roads with the same name or number as each is in a different community or Urbanización which GPS apps do not account for. I find it easier to just drop a pin in the general area and have it take me there instead of entering a street address. Also country side you have many roads with no name on the maps and in others address is like PR167 kilometer 11.3.

olddawgsrule wrote:
ReyP wrote:

Well, I should have read further.
I'll look into that deeper. Have this feeling my wife's Android may have some use after all.. Sorry to all you Android users.. I'm an IPhone guy, have been for years. Don't take it personal.

All Apple at my house including stock

Dawndoro wrote:

SVi boat club with Capt'n Pap is awesome...
sviboatclub.com
They also have a boat on the marina for overnight stays ...search Comfy 37' Sailboat at the Marina on Airbnb

Capt'n Pap is expensive for what he's offering. 3.5k!!! Not including meals or drinks..
And I've seen Comfy's posting..
Have a feeling there's some better priced down there.
I can do the course here for $1500, for both of us.. Or 1st mate twice (registered) and I have it.
Or just buy and I don't have to go through any of this.. I've owned up to 20ft, and have a Power Boat certificate up to 150hp.

There has to be something better locally.

ReyP wrote:

Everyone swears by att, t-mobile and sprint. All good.
I plan to switch to T-mobile by January while still in the states.

Yes US dollars are god in PR, we no longer use Reales or Pesetas (old Spain money).

Yes it is weird, lucky my maps application can handle it. But GPS address finding sucks in the island because a town may have several roads with the same name or number as each is in a different community or Urbanización which GPS apps do not account for. I find it easier to just drop a pin in the general area and have it take me there instead of entering a street address. Also country side you have many roads with no name on the maps and in others address is like PR167 kilometer 11.3.

LOL! Sounds like Maine!!!

Property seems to still be a reasonable buy down there.
Our question is to buy as a land-lubber or buy a 37ft sailboat and do a live-aboard.
Then comes, be a land-lubber with a smaller sailboat.

Salt water fills my veins and not being on is not an option for me.
One way or another, I need my salt fix.
Yes, I have a Jones and not willing to do the 12 steps to cure it..
I love it too much!

Buying a place on land there makes sense due to I can buy a sailboat locally and re-build on my property.
Since I would need a Land-lubber spot no matter what (storage and work shop), it makes sense.

How tough are the property taxes down there?
Yes, it would be a second home.

Property taxes are currently dirt cheap they are based on the property value back in the 50's. But that may change.
If the property is under 150k I believe it pays zero tax if your primary residence, but check. There is also a d al where you don't pay property tax for 5 years but I have no details.

My brother has 10 acres which he leases to a dairy farm and the dairy pays the taxes for him to the grand total of 800 a year.

Absolutely you can get a signal in the USVIs and is all over the place.   You are hardly ever out of sight of land.  If I know I am sailing outside of the USVI,  I add one month of out-of-the-country charge to my AT&T account for $40.

You really need to get the feel of what sailing is like here in the Caribbean.  The bigger the boat, the better.  When I sailed in the northeast it was usually a day trip. Here you sail from island to island, pick up a mooring or drop the anchor, spend the night and then sail to another island.

frogrock wrote:

You really need to get the feel of what sailing is like here in the Caribbean.  The bigger the boat, the better.  When I sailed in the northeast it was usually a day trip. Here you sail from island to island, pick up a mooring or drop the anchor, spend the night and then sail to another island.

That's what I like about it.

Since you sail.. What do you see as smallest?
For me the J24 I've sailed for years up here would be if not a live-a-board. I'm in the market for a 34ft. Small enough to single hand, large enough for extended stay..

Your thoughts??

Definitely not a J24.  Not sure about a 34ft. Remember, here you will be sailing all year round and from island to island.  Also, since the wind is always from the east and from Puerto Rico you would be heading east to get to the closest islands, you won't think twice about putting on the engine.   Single-handed depends on the rigging, the layout of the lines, etc.  You will see what I mean when you get here.  A 34 foot boat can get small very fast.

frogrock wrote:

Definitely not a J24.  Not sure about a 34ft. Remember, here you will be sailing all year round and from island to island.  Also, since the wind is always from the east and from Puerto Rico you would be heading east to get to the closest islands, you won't think twice about putting on the engine.   Single-handed depends on the rigging, the layout of the lines, etc.  You will see what I mean when you get here.  A 34 foot boat can get small very fast.

Now I have to ask.. What do you sail?

You seem to be implying the passage through SVI can be BIG (Caps to emphasize waves only).
I researched a bit and have more to do. I see the trench on both sides and understand what that can mean.
Need to see currents now to understand further.

My time will be winter only. Sept-March. Summers will be in Northern area closer to family.

So, what do you sail?
How BIG is the water in this time period?
Easterly, being true or slightly North or South Easterly.
I thinking Southeasterly due to temp, but haven't looked at currents yet.

Looking mainly at sailing the SVI's to USVI's.

Oh ya, Love the J24! Had her in 12ft seas in the Nor-east and she ran well.
But then again I'm nut's.. Also put the 18ft Hobie in the same, jumping waves..
So, please others, don't go by what I do!
I'm nuts...
LOL!

Listen to others here...

I do not own a boat here and am happy to be backup crew.  Last trip out of Tortola was on a 48 foot Beneteau and we had the rail in the water, with the main reefed.  At this stage of the game I am happy to pitch in when necessary but enjoy being on the second string.

frogrock wrote:

I do not own a boat here and am happy to be backup crew.  Last trip out of Tortola was on a 48 foot Beneteau and we had the rail in the water, with the main reefed.  At this stage of the game I am happy to pitch in when necessary but enjoy being on the second string.

Hear ya there!
48ft Beneteau.. nice! A little over my budget..

I'll push 22 degrees of heel, which will splash to the rail.. Good day, right conditions.. Well, earlier in life more, but then that sudden blow bothers me more now with age.. I've been through a few that I've been reefed in too tight. Really don't like it much..
Real comfortable now in 10-15's. You can walk around and not spill a beer/glass of wine.

Been researching charts, like what I see.
Temps and currents look good.
Winds seem pretty consistent through out. Slight change in direction, but mainly the same.

Weather seems to be Sunny to partly cloudy to the late afternoon shower, everyday.
That seems about right for what I expect.
Remember, I looking at Sept-March..
Of course the occasional days/week of all rain.
Curious how close I am to this???

Coming down mid-late March to walk about Fajardo and points south. I'm hoping to have enough time to see the Selinas area.

Fajardo vs. Selina/Jobos/Guayama area for an Expat??
Have some input on this?

Fajardo, Luquillo, Ceiba, Naguabo all on east side and close to each other.

I will take you on a tour and would love to arrange a sail with you.  I have a friend who has a sailboat in Fajardo. My brother keeps his boat in Salinas. 45foot TC ketch. that ooks like a pirate ship.  My real name is Carroll Kxxx. My email is xxx.  I live in Palmas del Mar in Humacao.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

We have spent time at Puerto del Mar marina.  Not cheap but a well run facility.  There are homes for rent in the area on AirBnB (including a boat at the marina, as I recall).  Friends also use VRBO for rentals closer to Sun Bay Marina.

We have a 36 ft catamaran.  It can be some salty sailing on the southern coast of Puerto Rico & across to USVI.  It's only 20 miles from Fajardo to Culebra.  Another 20 from Culebra to St Thomas but you have to wait for a weather window.  We currently have Christmas winds which means it could be 2 weeks before we can move.  9-11 ft seas out there today!

We've used Thrifty or Enterprise from San Juan based on the drop charge (returned in Fajardo).  Others have tried renting from San Juan then returning & re-renting while in Fajardo but I couldn't get a deal on that when I tried it.

I used AT&T last year.  Worked great in PR & USVI.  Extra international in BVI.  We switched to T-Mobile this year.  Streaming video in Culebra :-)

OdinTheWanderer wrote:

We have spent time at Puerto del Mar marina.  Not cheap but a well run facility.  There are homes for rent in the area on AirBnB (including a boat at the marina, as I recall).  Friends also use VRBO for rentals closer to Sun Bay Marina.

We have a 36 ft catamaran.  It can be some salty sailing on the southern coast of Puerto Rico & across to USVI.  It's only 20 miles from Fajardo to Culebra.  Another 20 from Culebra to St Thomas but you have to wait for a weather window.  We currently have Christmas winds which means it could be 2 weeks before we can move.  9-11 ft seas out there today!

We've used Thrifty or Enterprise from San Juan based on the drop charge (returned in Fajardo).  Others have tried renting from San Juan then returning & re-renting while in Fajardo but I couldn't get a deal on that when I tried it.

I used AT&T last year.  Worked great in PR & USVI.  Extra international in BVI.  We switched to T-Mobile this year.  Streaming video in Culebra :-)

Thank you! Great post!
I was just checking winds & seas and found just what you're talking of..
How long or what's the duration of the 'Christmas Winds' may I ask?
I've yet to find a 'good' internet source of wind/sea history for sailing.

As I understand it AT&T owns TMobile.. or at least they merged.. 39 billion dollar deal I heard.. Pretty wild if I'm right and you got a better deal with TMobile..

36ft Cat you say.. Never been on one that big! 18ft is what I sailed in the younger days..
You Charter?

They are blocking the T-Mobile/At&t merger for now, otherwise T-Mobile would have better coverage  (There are T-Mobile & AT&T stores in Fajardo).

We're on a private boat.  Sorry, no charters.  Retired!  We did meet some of the Sail Caribe folks but they have bigger boats.

We follow NOAA Offshore reports & subscribe to mxwc.com.  Here's an article on the Christmas winds Dec-Jan.  Varies in intensity.  You also have to learn about ocean swell & wind driven waves.  We are one of the smaller boats--most monohulls are in the 40s!  Although the local fishermen aren't bashful about being pretty far from shore in tin, single-engine powerboats.  They be loco!

moorings.com/destinations/caribbean/puerto-rico-yacht-charters/cruising-conditions

Looks like a lot of science, but people made it before there were all those charts and warnings.

I seen a tv show of Alaskan crab fishermen in very tough waters and they make it home most of the time, their boats don't look that big to me but in TV it is hard to tell.

True, but it's a lot less fun & the boat takes a beating.  Modern technology is amazing.  It makes life aboard a boat much safer (and making decisions with more information easier).

And some people didn't make it.  We monitor Channel 16 & there are numerous calls to the Coast Guard daily.  A very experienced local sailor on a 40+ ft boat went up on deck last week to adjust a sail and was knocked overboard.  The other two people couldn't get him back on board.  He drowned. 

You have to respect the ocean & use your head.  There are rip current warnings here almost daily.  He asked.  I answered.  Be smart.

Now they need to keep it from ever sinking. But yes a lot more pleasurable if the boat sails smoothly and slides across the water instead of being battered.

One day I may be able to get a boat, hope I am not too feble to handle it by the time I can afford it.