Schools

Hi all.  We have just received news that we will be moving to Perth in 2012.  I am concerned about schooling - private or government?  Please can you let me know which schools your children are in and what the costs are for the year.  My children are in Reddam House in Johannesburg.  I would like them in a Christian based school.  My daughter will be 7 and my son 4.  I also run a morning only playgroup in South Africa, is there anything the same in Perth?  Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Herewego, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi there... we live in Shenton Park... Excellent public school Rosalie Primary.  I can't really say about other areas.  LOTS of play groups for toddlers around.  Good luck!

We're living in Port Kennedy/Warnbro area and have a daughter who is almost ready to begin high school.  Can anyone give me feed back on state schools in the area please?  I've looked up the government sites etc. but would like to hear from students or parents.  Thanks Heaps :)

Thanks for your post/response mumof3qts!  We are moving to Perth from Singapore next month.  Hubby is aussie (melb) and I'm Canadian/Australian.  We're in the midst of searching for good primary schools too, including public now, so I appreciate you comment about Rosalie.  Thanks!
Happy school hunting to us all!
Cheers

Hi, I am a teacher in Perth and there are many South African families living here. I am also a Christian. I attend Riverview Church which has a Christian school attached to it. There is also Kingsway Christian College and many other church-based schools. The government school system is good and you also need to be aware that some schools are better than others simply because of the socio-economic status of the area. The good schools with good funding are in the western suburbs. They don't cost any more to attend but there are no behaviour problems and the parents are usually professionals with high expectations for their children's learning. I work in a school close to the city with dedicated teachers and our school always gets great results academically. However, there is some pressure on the kids to learn and this is stressful for the,. Go to the 'My School' website to have a look and key in Department of Education in Western Australia and you may be able to find out more. Hope this helps.

Suzanne