Move to Philippines? Cost?

I'm thinking of moving to the Philippines by the end of 2017. I have a military pension. I am 54. Is the political situation overblown? Or is it really that bad? If it worsens - I may go to Spain... I was stationed at Clark in the 1980s and would settle in Angeles City for at least a year until I decide upon a permanent residence somewhere on Luzon.

I think if you dont read the rhetoric, there is no situation. I don't spend time in Manila,but the people im around in Luzon seem even more friendly to me (as an obvious American).

I've lived in other countries that had governments that went through anti-forieghner phases and  I'm not feeling any hardship from the political rhetoric. Besides that, I'd choose here over Europe.... No Filipino ever feels obligated to tell me whats wrong with America... but many Europeans have mistaken me for the president or someone who is responsible for everything that happens there.

Also, the exchange rate is at a 5 year high.

Good luck and congratulations on your retirement.

i am a local and have been to quite a few places due to my travelling profession. in my own point of view, your idea of settling in the philippines would be more logical if you visit the country first and then decide after some time...yeah, you've been here but that was more than three decaded ago. stop googling and asking around on the internet. life should be experienced not just told. reality should be experienced unvirtually. just find some good people who wont take advantage of you when you get here.

Very well said.
I agree.

glennrussellm1 wrote:

I'm thinking of moving to the Philippines by the end of 2017. I have a military pension. I am 54. Is the political situation overblown? Or is it really that bad? If it worsens - I may go to Spain... I was stationed at Clark in the 1980s and would settle in Angeles City for at least a year until I decide upon a permanent residence somewhere on Luzon.

With regard to the current political situation I can only say that we have had no violence in our area near Tagaytay or any that I have heard of in the surrounding areas from family members, though obviously it exists and mostly in heavily populated urban areas where as elsewhere in this world you find more drugs, poverty and violence simply because of the landscape.

You mention staying in Angeles City, why?  The area does not have a great reputation, though if you are looking for bars and girls it may be the place for you, but you also increase your exposure to criminal activity.  Subic has a large community of expats and military retirees, have you given it any thought?  You could mostly likely establishment some dialogue with local expats while swapping war stories   :)  who could give you some first hand insight into the do's and don't s of living in the Philippines. I might also be a good place to test the waters and see if this is the place for you.

The anti American rhetoric is in part due to comments made by the U.S. Ambassador and Obama regarding not only the drug wars, but also Obama criticizing plans for coal fired power plants and scolding Duterte in his usual arrogant condescending tones that his country signed the Paris climate change agreements to which Duterte replied, I didn't sign it.  The relationship has only soured from that point. Just another in a long line of foreign policy blunders by the current U.S. admin. 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With regard to the cost of living here. I will refer you to a thread that discussed it a length a short time ago.

Cost of living in the Philippines:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 49#2444407

Regards,

TeeJay

I will go to Angeles City for a short time  - as I know the area. Visiting for two months is not necessarily going to introduce me to anyone. I was stationed at Clark. I know the area. I feel comfortable there. I do not want to live at Subic. I will be at Angeles - temporarily. Eventually, I will travel around Luzon - and find a suitable city to reside in - maybe it will be Subic--- I want to be near the old base of Clark, as I know the base and I would be allowed on there as a veteran. I am not going to stay there permanently. I was stationed at Clark and I was never a victim of crime.   Thanks.

glennrussellm1 wrote:

I will go to Angeles City for a short time  - as I know the area. Visiting for two months is not necessarily going to introduce me to anyone. I was stationed at Clark. I know the area. I feel comfortable there. I do not want to live at Subic. I will be at Angeles - temporarily. Eventually, I will travel around Luzon - and find a suitable city to reside in - maybe it will be Subic--- I want to be near the old base of Clark, as I know the base and I would be allowed on there as a veteran. I am not going to stay there permanently. I was stationed at Clark and I was never a victim of crime.   Thanks.

If you want stats and news about the war on drugs in the Philippines the internet can provide the answers you seem to be looking for through news sources and personal stories.

The fact remains that crime is simply higher in urban areas and being in one of those areas  increases your chances regardless of whether you have been a victim in the past or not.

Are the reports overblown? Well let's see, before the war on drugs the deaths, beatings and arrests were not occurring at the rate they are now, so yes you should be aware and no the sky is not falling. Criminals will introduce themselves to you even if you do not wish for the introduction. 

It would appear you already had your answers before the questions were posed.

Good luck, be safe.

Thanks

I lived there before. I am not going to live in metro Manila. I am not worried about my safety there. I was stationed there before. In the USA I was almost killed twice in Los Angeles, California due to crime. I am sure I would be OK. I am not one who is going out to look for trouble. I felt safer in the Philippines than many places in the USA. Crime can happen anywhere in the world, even in a safe village - and Americans can be targets - but I will try to live in a gated community.

glennrussellm1

You seem to have the common sense it takes to take care yourself. Having lived here before you no doubt know that things are much different in the Phil.

Best wishes for a safe, secure and happy visit to the Philippines.

Mabuhay,

TeeJay

I know a real estate near Clark, visit http://www.pueblodeoro.com/location/vie … -pampanga. The location is in San Fernando, Pampanga. Are you familiar in the place? You may consider it, :) Have a great stay in the Philippines!:)

The link doesn't show. Its Pueblo de Oro Pampanga. Have a great day!

When doing your budget, don't forget to forecast in future inflation cost / increase, and that exchange rates may change.

Yes, OK. I have been stationed at  Clark. I remember the area around the base well. I feel OK there and all. My income is very good for an expat. I am not rich here in the USA - but for even an average retiree in the USA - I am doing better than just people on Social Security. I am not broke. I know Angeles City. I lived there 1980s. I traveled around the island of Luzon at night on buses by myself from Subic to Clark - trikes, Jeepneys, all that alone - I would be more careful now.

I just talked to one former resident there - he was in Cebu City. He left with is Filipina wife. He said inflation was very bad. The standard of living with American money is going down. However, I am sure it is better than what I have in Massachusetts now. I am doing OK - I could stay here - but I am NOT meeting women here in any way. It is very difficult with dating in the USA. I am 6 foot 2 - decent looking, OK, etc. but nothing is going on for me. I am not that picky either. I am living the life of a monk as I am sure most single men my age are in the USA.

glennrussellm1 wrote:

I just talked to one former resident there - he was in Cebu City. He left with is Filipina wife. He said inflation was very bad. The standard of living with American money is going down. However, I am sure it is better than what I have in Massachusetts now. I am doing OK - I could stay here - but I am NOT meeting women here in any way. It is very difficult with dating in the USA. I am 6 foot 2 - decent looking, OK, etc. but nothing is going on for me. I am not that picky either. I am living the life of a monk as I am sure most single men my age are in the USA.

My understanding is that the Federal Bank in the Philippines, foretaste (hope for) a CPI of between 2% and 4%.  Education has being going up at around 7% PA

The other consideration is the currency exchange rate, if the PHP goes up against the country you are living in then this will decrease the number of PHP you can by.

In my calculations the biggest risk to my savings is CPI increasing.

There are so many financial, as well as lifestyle things to consider before moving here.

cost corruption included or without ?? Good live in city you will need about 1,400 USD monthly .. in countryside about 600 USD with own garden

My income is much more than that. How much is it to buy into some sort of healthcare plan for expats?

Don't forget to consider, if you want, flight back home, holidays.  And if you have kids education costs.  WIFI, Cable TV, medical.

It is very hard to get health care here, that will match a 1st world country.  Also as you get older health insurance companies do not want to deal with you.  Plane on paying for it out of your own pocket.

You should really take a look at Dumaguete lots of expats and typhoon free zone. Very friendly and laid back which is why I moved here over a year ago. If anything you should at least visit and see for yourself. Good luck 🌴

Thanks for the info. I have the V.A. for minor stuff. I can go to Guam for major stuff or Hawaii. I have no kids, no wife.

Thanks, Raysncane. I can afford many hundreds in healthcare policy - if there is one - like they have in Costa Rica, Panama, etc. for expats.