Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Mauritius can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Mauritius?

What are the most common clichés about life in Mauritius in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

I hate expats that say it is so nice to live here but they hide in their "prison resedential compounds with high walls and barbed wire on top.  Where do they think they are living this is not South Africa etc.  I don't have high walls or barbed wire on top of them and I have never had any problems .  Please don't build these compounds they really are not needed I think

None of my friends had an idea about Mauritius.
They were thinking if you are hungry you go fishing or cut a mango or papaya from the tree.
About jobs they were thinking that people are working in bamboo todis with palm tree roofs.
Little do they know. When I showed them pictures for example about Cybercity they were very surprised.

Hi there i disagree and people should not all be put in the same category..  i live in a normal house have embraced the way of living in Mauritius & most certainly do not want to live in a compound as that is the life I have left behind. I love the island its kind people & way of life.

Hi, I expected life to be much cheaper. Of course certain goods/services are cheaper here but others are quite pricey. It still shocks me how much I pay for my weekly shopping compared to London. And that's even though we shop our fruit & veg from the local market. But on the contrary, when I receive my water bill, I smile...

Is think it is the local resorts that build these compounds as expats are not allowed to buy land for building - are they?

-

CesarFinies wrote:

None of my friends had an idea about Mauritius.
They were thinking if you are hungry you go fishing or cut a mango or papaya from the tree.
About jobs they were thinking that people are working in bamboo todis with palm tree roofs.
Little do they know. When I showed them pictures for example about Cybercity they were very surprised.

Now this is disturbing!  :D

Only the bows and arrows missing!