ESL teaching

Hey I am just asking is it hard to get a job teaching English in Ho Chi Minh.I have just arrived here and needing work.Is it necessary to get the Tefl course  - it seems quite expensive -$1500 for 4 weeks training is a lot.I already have a Bachelors degree.Is that enough?.

Hi da bengal lancer, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advice you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

The schools in Vietnam need their teachers to have any of these certificate TEFL, TESOL, CELTA or any other certificate that will allow you to teach ESL. Any of these certificate is needed to apply for work permit.The government is very strict now,checking schools employing foreign teachers.If the teacher has no work permit , she or he will be fine and the school will pay a big amount.

What other requirements are needed aside from tefl, tesol, celta, etc in order for a foreigner to teach in Vietnam schools? Are they different for primary, secondary and tertiary schools? Thanks!

Try contacting Tom Hazan,, [email protected]
Tom has been here many years teaching, and past few years he coordinates jobs for other expat teachers, He knows what is required and where jobs might be. Nice chap.

Hello members,

A post in this thread has been moved to a private forum for analysis.