Customer care in Germany

Hello everyone,

The way customer services are handled can greatly affect your views on certain brands, products, companies or stores. As a consumer, it is important to get familiar with local practices regarding client assistance in Germany and try to understand how things work in the country.

How would you describe your customer service experiences in Germany?

Do you feel welcome when you enter a store? Do you get useful tips and advice?

Are after-sales services available in Germany?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Customer service in Germany is traditionally bad.
Many major stores and chains (including their customers) care about cut-price only and if you need any service beyond choosing on your own and paying at the cashier, you are often lost.
That said, many smaller shops nowadays offer better (and sometimes very good) customer service to differentiate themselves (and justify their higher prices) from the big chains and Internet merchants.
Restaurants often have good service, because the waiters want your tips (which, contrary to USA and some other places, are only given if one is satisfied).
Some of the worst service in Germany is at government offices (incl. the dreaded Auslaenderamt), where you often feel like you're begging for favours from arrogant and unsympathetic buerocrats.

Service is terrible - almost non-existent!  Coming from country where service is everything i have found this to be one of hardest things to come to terms with here.  I commented to my husband that it is almost like they don't need your patronage in some places.  I have often tried to use services and been told, sorry i am too busy or I cannot help... whether or not i was prepared to pay additional for the service.

Hope it improves