Hallo alle im Freiburg und Südschwarzwald

Ja, ich bin's - der neuste Newbie. Ich will mich hier kurz vorstellen. Mein Profil erklärt die Grundsätze, aber ein Forum-Eintrag ist etwas freundlicher. Ich hoffe hier einige Leute zu finden, mit denen ich Kontakt aufnehmen kann, and vielleicht auch Auskunft über Möglichkeiten in der Region erfahren.

Seit fast 20 Jahren habe ich beabsichtigt, nach Deutschland zu emigrieren. Ich bin schon in der IT-Branche sehr gut ausgebildet, und arbeite zur Zeit als IT-System-Administrator beim 120-köpfigen Startup. Herbst 2011 macht die ganze Familie Urlaub in St. Georgen im Schwarzwald, was schon jetzt in der Planung ist.

Besonders interessant fände ich Eindrücke und Erfahrungen aus dem Alltag im und in der Nähe vom Schwarzwald-Baar-Kreis, wenn es dort einige Amis geben sollte.

Guten Rutsch! - Mike

Hi,

could you also please post in English ? Thanks

Hi. Yes, it is I, the newest newbie, and I want to introduce myself briefly. My profile provides the basics, but posting on the forum seemed a bit friendlier. I'm hoping to connect with a few people here, and also learn about opportunities in the southern Black Forest area.

I've wanted to migrate to Germany since my first experiences there 20 years ago. I have substantial experience in Information Technology, and currently work as an IT System Administrator at a 120-employee startup. This fall the whole family will be vacationing in St. Georgen im Schwarzwald, which I am currently planning.

I'm especially interested in impressions and experiences from everyday life in and around the Schwarzwald-Baar-Kreis, particularly from any Americans living there.

Happy New Year! - Mike

Hey Mike,

I live in Freiburg and have been here for 3 years. There are a fair number of English speakers here, though American isn't the biggest group. I tend to stick to the city rather than go up into the villages, but do you have any specific questions.

Fall will be nice but could be cold especially at night. There won't likely be snow yet depending on exactly when in the fall you come. Hiking and mountain biking are the big things.

Stuff to see:  Schluchsee - alpine style lake
St. Peter - Small town with a neat little church/monastery
Feldberg - tallest mountain in the area
Baden Baden - closer to the Rhine, but has some neat spas and a roman bath ruin
Triberg - touristy kitsch place with the tallest waterfall in the forest
Freiburg - of course a wonderful place.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tips! We'll be there in August, and from what I've gathered, it will be cool but not yet cold.

I noticed you listed 'databases' as an interest - are you a DBA? Regardless of that, what's work like?

thanks - Mike

Not a DBA per se. I do really like data architecture and such. I'm a software guy with a penchant for DBs.

Yeah August is usually really nice. It won't be cold.