Help please

I am planning a move to Thailand before next summer. I would appreciate some information about being able to stay for a long time(years). I have read conflicting info online so would like to hear from someone who has hammered this out on the anvil of experience.

thank you,
Wombli

It would be real helpful if you stated your age because it will affect type of visa best for you.

thanks straydog, I will be 62 when i come there. How long have you been there? are you married to a Thai? what areas are you knowlegeable with? My plan is,

arrive on a 60 day multip;e entry tourist visa. travel around some areas around Phuket and near by islands in hopes of finding a nice {cheap} place to stay awhile. I will have a thai lady with me and am considering marriage fairly quickly. She is working in Udon thani and her home town is in sisaket. I prefer salt water with all the adtivities asscociated so she will meet me in Bkk upon arrival. We will travel to sisaket to visit her family at some point.

If in fact we marry would it be better to stay with her family as our residence? until the 1 year visa is in place? After that visa is in place we can move to the coast. I understand i will need to leave the country every 90 days to arrange the paperwork properly? is this true with all visa"s?

i appreciate your time and information. thank you.
Rick

If you meet all the requirements I would suggest you obtain a Non-Immigrant Visa Type O-A for purpose of retirement.  It will be good for one year. You can obtain at Thai Consulate in your home country.

You didn't say which country you are from but here is link for requirements posted on Royal Thailand Consulate in LA, USA.  It should be same for all countries but you never know.

I have been in Thailand 7+ years and have been through the school of hard knocks if you have more questions.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_ … link_id=48