Buenos Aires Expats

Hello, I am an undergraduate student researching expatriates in South American cities, including Buenos Aires. I would absolutely love if anyone out there could answer a few questions/be willing to talk to me about your expat experience, it would go a long way to help my thesis- and be completely anonymous! 

Even just a few basic answers to any of these questions would be extremely appreciated.

What neighborhood do you live in?
Why did you choose to live there?
In your impression, what types of people live there?
What areas do you feel like most expats live in?
Do you interact with mainly other expatriates or do you have many Argentinean friends? Was it difficult to make friends outside the expatriate community?
Do you speak Spanish?
Do you work, and if so what do you do?
Any other info about why you came to Buenos Aires?

Please help and thanks!

Hi SMSA14,

What neighborhood do you live in? Rosario

Why did you choose to live there? My wife is Argentine. We moved here with our two (now three) year old for him to visit my wife's family.

In your impression, what types of people live there? Not sure what you mean by, types? There people of many races, religions and cultures in Argentina.

What areas do you feel like most expats live in? Buenos Aires

Do you interact with mainly other expatriates or do you have many Argentinean friends? Was it difficult to make friends outside the expatriate community? Rosario is a great place to live. The people are very friendly and helpful (contrary to what I was told). We have many friends here in Rosario. We are Jehovah's Witnesses so, of course, we have our brothers and sisters in our congregation, but we have also made many other friends quite easily. We are leaving to return to the U.S. in May 2016. I'm really going to miss Rosario.

Do you speak Spanish? I can speak enough to "get by," but I rely on my wife for complicated discussions...lol

Do you work, and if so what do you do? Finding work can be challenging. I've talked to some who were able to find work in six to nine months, and others (like us) who were not able to find work in a year. There are a lot of things to take into consideration when you consider finding work here; the city you live in, your age, (unfortunately) you skin color, etc. Argentina is not shy about "discriminating." We started a group on FB called English Conversations with Friends (where you can find a number of people to ask questions). We tutor students who are learning English. It's been a fun way to keep busy, help the local community and earn some spending money.   

Any other info about why you came to Buenos Aires? We live in Rosario, but we've visited BA.

We hope that helps. There is so much more to tell, but it would read like a graduate thesis.....;)

To your success,
George & Gaby
English Conversations with Friends