Moving to Ethiopia with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to Ethiopia with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in Ethiopia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Hi
have lived in Addis for total of 17 years.
difficult to generalise but if you have specific queztions feel free to email me on

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

@ adisadvisor > If you can reply to the questions asked by Bhavna would be a good start.

Do note that Bhavna is a member of the Expat.com team.

Thanks,

Priscilla

Factors
Salary
Age of kids
Housing arrangements
Can you survive eithout a car
Can you cope with Ethiopian bureaucracy?

Ethiopia is the land of the 3 Fs

First you will find it Fascinating
Then. Frustrating
Finall inFuriating

So Addis advisor, what makes you to stay in Ethiopia?

I lived in Ethiopia for more then two years. I experienced the insane Ethiopian bureaucracy (for example, filling out the form to transfer Ethiopian birr to my account in Europe took me three days). I experienced the Christmas light internet connection and the Xmas light electricity supply.  I got to know many Ethiopians who were only interested in my money and a ticket out of this Ethiopian hellhole.

But still, I guess I might be back one day. You won't find any friendlier people on the planet than in Ethiopia. Usually when I feel depressed and lonely in my own country, I spend some months in Ethiopia. And usually I return from Ethiopia as a stronger person with more life energy.