Papi

Papi

Part 01

Asi Es (that's the way it is)

Away from the eyes of the occasional visitor or even expat, the elements of survival are ever present in the Dominican Republic. Not from my observations, or those of the 10, 20 or even 30 year expat, however from a man of 93 years, who has lived, survived and endured the many stated observations, comes a refreshing and truthful testimonial, from a native of this incredible island. This is a man who played professional baseball. This is a man who paralleled his dream of becoming famous with the workmanship of a construction maestro. His prime of life came and went just before the acceptance of ethnical inclusion into the professional game of baseball in the United States. The tribute to this man, this silent legend, and the heritage of pride and understanding he has passed on to his children, this is what I will attempt to portray as my pen lends a humbled effort to somehow unite the unknowing soul, and the life of “papi”.

For the most part, this man's life was formed in the parameters of Santiago de los Caballeros. From a man with youthful vision to later dealing with compulsive affliction, he stood solid and proud as he formed a silent position, away from the eyes of many, and formed an alliance with his barrio and the many others that existed, and even today with the many that do exist. Often traveling the unimproved road to Puerto Plata, and heading north to the area of Cabrera, or as he referred, “Tres Amarras”, he tells of the two day journey it took to make this journey.

He has seen the rise of the “touristic influence” that has graciously tried to keep the integrity of the island intact and preserved. His respect to those who have contributed both financially and environmentally, to the island is acknowledged when listening to him speak of the attraction this island appears to have, to the many who seek to leave their own native land, and bask in the opportunity and tranquility this paradise can provide.

With a cautious tone, he will tell me that not all is as first perceived, yet with a smile of a notable facetiousness, there is a sense that he would opt to forgo any attempt at issuing a commentary of warning and advisory, and instead choose to invite and court the “extranjero”, the one who will without provocation, contribute to the continued survival of the Republica Dominicana.

No matter when and where our paths do cross, Papi and I greet with a handshake and a hug. This is his story, not mine. As his life becomes a visible portrait, there will be an attempt to once again, relive and revive some of the color, and then the pain, disappointments and also the many triumphs of this family. The task of translation from his native tongue to my pen will not compare to the legend he will leave with the many who know of him, and then again the many who in a short while, will know of him. As his first cup of coffee now emptied, transferred from his hand to mine, he put his hand on my shoulder looked me in the eyes and said, “asi es”.

What a great post. Reminds me of the hours spent talking to my grandfather - in -law when I first moved to Colorado. He was dying of colon cancer and was told he had 6 months to live. Well he told the docs that he was moving to Colorado (from New York City) city to live with his grand kids.  Well 8 months later he moved with me to Colorado and we would spend hours talking about his life and life in general.  Hours of playing checkers with him and taking long walks in the neighborhood.  He survived for another 6 months (so much for what the doctors said).  It was a wonderful experience for me and hopefully for him.  Oh, he was 95 at the time of his death.

Bob K

There is so much to be learned from those with real life experience.  Great post!