Billionaire sentenced to 19+ years in Lavajato probe

WOW!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ … rwash-case

This kind of stuff is legal in the US now after the Supreme Court ruled that money in politics is to be considered as speech thus allowing billionaires to openly buy politicians donating limitless sums. Before this ruling, the most an individual could donate to one politician was $2,300. The ruling is known as "Citizens United" (what a joke).

Then, when the politician who has been bought wins an election, they work to pass tax and other laws favoring the businesses of the billionaires who were so generous.

ndfansince53,

These were not campaign contributions, they were kickbacks and bribes on government contracts that were way overbid.

As far as I understand that's still conduct which is considered a crime in the USA too.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/C … -0055.html

The plot thickens!  Just sharing!

It's getting better and better!
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/brazi … WB2V5?il=0
Lula offer/ kkkkk

James:

Yes, I realize one is a crime (in the US also) and the other has been sanctioned by the Supreme Court, however, the way I see it both are equally corrupt. Making the buying of politicians legal, does make it morally correct.

This (the USA) used to be based on the notion of "one man, one vote". That meant the pauper had as much to say politically as the rich guy. Then the corrupt Supreme Court ruled that money is speech, and that after more than 200 years. It is a kick to the groin of the principles on which a democracy was founded.

I realize that this will fall on deaf ears, but I wanted to post these events to illuminate that we are witnessing a historic time. One in which a country is fighting to change it's world image by improving it's fundamental identity.

When I first came to Brasil 20 years ago, I could not understand how this country could be so far behind. Over time it became clear that corruption and the acceptance of corruption was the open "secret" at the root of the problem. Any expat living here will understand my position.

Again I expect a negative response to my following request, but please do not compare Brasil to other countries. Try to see these events and those involved as historic events and courageous individuals who are more patriotic than afraid of the consequences of their fight for a better Brasil.

Let's not cheapen this time in history with non-sequitur detours and personal attacks.

Good luck with that!!! Brazilians will take great offense at the statement, no matter how true it clearly is. Go figure?

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

I have to disagree with your observation. I speak often with Brasilians at all levels who, understandably, want Lavajato to be "Real."

The people have had a taste of foreign respect and trust in the form of investments of the past decade or so and they have seen those gains lost by corruption.

Brasilians have a bitter sweet saying: Brasil is the land of the future and always will be.

Even as this seems a hopeless attitude, I see a pandora like sign of hope. Let's keep the box open long enough for the hope to have a chance.

Thanks for the thumbs up, Alascana

No problem Ex, I look at it from a far place and the Challenge is crazy, as we say " It is What it Is" . I try to stay abreast all things Brasil and enjoy the forum as it can provide a laugh and a smile for we know that we can only Hope for the best.
Now will Dilma make Lula apart of the cabinet for I see the pardon from here also.!/ kkkk/ lol. Chang is Inevitable!

"Loyalty among thieves" might apply here ie: "if I go down,you go down" . This is why the supreme court decision is so key. By facing the criminals with real jail time, Lavajato probers can offer talk to walk deals. This has already brought out the finger pointers.  Lula is VERY POWERFUL here. but Dilma recently tried to make a political appointment that would have helped her position that was soundly slapped down.

Another move like that-even for Lula- would most assuredly bring impeachment, in my humble view.

Ex, I agree with your post for the power of Lula is known, the power of uncertainty is the unknown. As I see the turmoil as it unfolds. I see distraction from the importance of people the economy,as even the VP is questionable and Cunha man what a mess, instead of calling it car wash it should be a Full Detail with a oil change and put some Armor All on the gear knob,steering wheel, brake pedal, door handle and lock maybe the road can be oiled by  Petrobras, as it is a major oil spill. We need to alert the Environmental Folks and report this hazard!/ lol

It's so sad, it's almost funny SMH.

Exnyer, I'm hopeful as well. I hope that these changes that we're witnessing do lead to more substantial changes. But in my opinion, the problem is cultural. (I've discussed what I think are the real problems facing Brazil and her people at length in my previous posts, so I won't go into detail again here.) Unless there is a cultural revolution alongside the political changes that reflect a change in the mindset of the people, unfortunately, nothing will change - we'll just have another set of corrupt politicians replace the current set. Sure, maybe they'll think twice before they steal from their people, but more than likely, they'll just get smarter and find sneakier ways to hide their criminal activities (like American politicians).

I do hope I'm wrong. The following is a popular saying here in Brazil.   "Every country has the government it deserves." Well, I hope that Brazil and her people are ready to embrace change on a massive scale, both politically and culturally, because much needs to change if Brazilians want respectable leaders who care about their country and their people.

Victoria, Hi!

I don't expect a Game Change with Lavajato but It is a strong move to a better Brasil. It is Easter here and I was visiting with friends and we got to talking about this issue. Some were gleeful that Dilma is "out" some stood blindly behind Lula. The unifying opinion however was that ALL wanted the corruption to end as a result.

I pointed out that it must begin at the grass roots. An end to Jeitino brasilero would be an excellent start. To those who are unfamiliar, Jeitino brasilero is the term given to any act that is designed to bypass rules, regulations and a lot of generally antisocial behavior.

This socially accepted behavior moves up the chain and finds it's ultimate expression in corruption. Today however it is harder to contain the wrongdoings due to how connected even the poorest of us are. 

I hope the Hon. Judge Mouro keeps chipping away at the mountain of corruption and that the people are ready to stop the small stones of Jeitino brasilero because.

"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones"

I sympathise with your comment! And I am Brazilian thrugh and thrugh.

Valeo Marco!