What's new in Rincon

Since I've been coming to Rincon (2002) it has grown and is quite different now. In 2002 one couldn't find a place to have breakfast or a decent cup of coffee around the town plaza. Now there are many places to dine and drink.

Okay, so what's new:
1. Across from the town plaza a hostel is being constructed.

2. A short walk from the plaza at 10 Comerio a new health food and Asian fusion restaurant, named the Green Thumb, has just opened. It has Vegan and Vegetarian menu items.

3. Across from the town plaza an excellent coffee (read: espresso for me) and eatery, named Cafe 413,  has just opened. Mannie is the barista - he used to be the barista at the old Banana Dang, (run by Tahn Tahn and Mario who have transported BD to Ocean Side, California) - Mannie makes superb expresso and espresso drinks.

4. Behind Cafe 413 a boutique hotel is being constructed.

5. Much open land is for sale including two large swaths in Puntas and a large piece in Ensenada right on the Tres Palmas Marine Preserve. I hope they are not sold and if they are then I hope that the lands are used responsibly.

6. A bicycle path is slated to be built between Domes Beach and The Balneario (public beach). There was an attempt to do this last year but the Surfriders organization reviewed the plans, found man y flaws, and threatened to bring Rincon to Federal court. This year the modified plan may go through and is being examined again by Surfriders and others. Rincon actually has the money in escrow, it will cost approximately one million dollars per kilometer. And believe it or not, I've heard that some of the funding is coming from Rails And Trails whose mission is to convert old railroad tracks to bike paths.

That's all for now.

Thanks Victor for your great info. We are in Quebradilla, but have been to the Farmers Market in Rincon and recently visited the Balneario there. They were both great.  When we went to the beach it was a stopover when coming back from San German on St. Valentines Day and the concession there was hopping with people and karioke.  Is it always hopping like that or was it just because of the day?

I love the vibe in Rincon and will visit it more often now that we know where the beach is.

Take care and enjoy life in Rincon,

Tonie

We had dinner at the Green Thumb restaurant and it is recommended. The food is tasty, healthy, good presentation, and different. The atmosphere is quiet and conducive to having a conversation. The owner is Clay who owned the Ode To The Elephants in Puntas which is now closed (I believe). He says he is looking for a new venue and then will open Ode again.

As I mentioned before more than half of the menu is either vegetarian or vegan. Also served are pork and chicken dishes. Clay will have a liquor license soon.

Green Thumb is located at 10 Comercio in downtown Rincon. If you try it please post your experience.

Thank you, Victor!

I was just reading that there is a protest in Rincon about some Giant Rocks and a fence that were erected and are blocking access to part of a beach. Apparently the issue is in Puntas. They want the government to enforce the free access to the beach.

ReyP - using boulders as sea walls has been an issue in Rincon. Some time ago the property next to the Tamboo restaurant (Puntas) started to put large boulders in from of their property. There was a protest, people camping out 24/7 to impede the progress. Eventually the boulders were removed and a wooden bulkhead erected.

Aside from being ugly, water will undermine boulders and they will become an eyesore on the beach or even worse will be swept into the water during a storm and change the nature of the break.

By the way the organization that keeps and eye out for this type of stuff is the Surfriders, spearheaded by Jim Crotty and Steve Tamar. Surfriders is currently studying Rincon's proposal to build a bike path from Domes beach to the Balneario (public beach); they blocked last years proposal by threatening to bring Rincon to Federal court due to problems in the plan including limiting beach access (and Rincon wanted to spend 17 million dollars on it; the current proposal is for four million dollars).

Surfriders also tests water at various points along the coastline for bacteria on a weekly basis and posts the results on their site and emails same  to anyone who provides their email address. If there is a high bacteria count they investigate to find the source. The website for Surfriders is: https://rincon.surfrider.org/

ReyP - where did you read this? I'd like to take a look.

Here is the link, it is in Spanish.
http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/pue … n-1140130/

A lot of the lack in progress in the island is due to people's issues. Look at solar power.....

Check out this phenomenal rainbow in Rincon!  I filmed it Saturday as we were waiting for an art opening at Exodo Art Gallery
Rincon Rainbow

Awesome, we missed that one!

The rainbow was gorgeous!

That truly is beautiful!!!!

super!

You remember I said a boutique hotel is going up off the plaza in Rincon? I just discovered that that the builder (and owner) is the municipality of Rincon and the money to build it is a GRANT from the DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE with the purpose being RURAL development. Now, I think this relatively small hotel, just off the town square is a good idea. However in the past Rincon has built things with Federal money and then done nothing with them, i.e. they have remained unused and not maintained. It appears that after the money for construction has been delved out interest in a project wains.

Anyway I find it remarkable that the Department Of Agriculture is paying Rincon to build a hotel. Just think about that.

El Coqui  Of Rincon is a monthly magazine that contains articles and advertisements relevant to Rincon. It is free with hard copies available around town and an online version at: http://www.elcoquiofrincon.com/

The March issue has a very interesting article entitiled "The Continuing Story Of The Paseo Bike Path" by Steve Tamar, Vice President of the Rincon Surfrider Foundation. Steve discusses the history of this project, potential environmental impacts, and the many questions that should be answered before the project proceeds. It is an interesting read. The article is here:
https://issuu.com/elcoqui823/docs/coqui … 2/33992069

An educational and scientific event sponsored by Surfrider regarding humpback whales, at the hotel Rincon Of The Seas (in Rincon) on March 20th:

The chapter is very pleased to announce that we will be having a fundraising activity to help support the research about our local humpback whales being conducted for the past 6 years by Dr. Mithriel MacKay.  The details of the event "Wine, Whales and Song" are as follows:
IN THE AFTERNOON:  As you probably know, the chapter depends on community support and donations for our day to day operation, and we are always looking for ways to express our thanks!  This is a little difficult to do for a fundraising event, however Dr. MacKay and her team have generously agreed to provide a free educational and interactive activity for young people, from 2 - 4 pm on the beach in front of the hotel ballroom!  They have a very complete program that is suitable for teenagers as well as children, and we encourage parents to take advantage of this opportunity!  And of course to return for the evening activity...
IN THE EVENING: The ballroom doors will open at 6 pm, with tickets for sale @$10.  The ticket price for the evening activity will include: a free wine and food 'cocktail hour' (until 7:30 pm) so you can meet the research team; presentations by Dr. MacKay regarding her research, and how the community can get actively involved, and the history of whales in northwest Puerto Rico; a discount for the dinner menu of the Rincón of the Seas; and your ticket will be entered into the drawing for the grand door prize:  a large coffee table book of gorgeous photos of marine life created by Dr. MacKay with CDs of the best of whale songs she has recorded. 
Of course, there will also be raffle tickets for sale for some great prizes donated by our local artists and artisans!

Sounds like a great event for all ages and with a wonderful organization!

Victor.   Do you have the information on the day time event on a different platform that I could present to the local home school group . This educational event would benefit many children
Thank you