Should i go for it?!

Hi,
I'm an Egyptian 37 yrs professional working woman.
I was offered a position in Kuwait as a PA for the MD of an international banking services company.
I have a family of three members and they'll be living with me.
I am reluctant about taking the position.
and i have no idea if the salary is enough for a decent westernized upper middle class way of living.
They have started the negotiations by offering 600 KD + housing.
- Do companies have housing ready for foreign employees or will it be an allowance?
- I hear getting a decent apartment costs around 300 KD and food, dining out and laundry costs about 200 KD...is that accurate?
- I have a 10 year old and an 8 year old kids, how much does it cost for an good English school?
- do landlord specify certain nationalities to rent their apartments? i have seen ads online and i want to make sure i can choose any nice apartment regardless of having to be in an Egyptian neighborhood.
- Is it hard to bring on family members...is it allowed freely?
- Is the offered salary fair?? how much should i negotiate?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions but i really need help here as i have visited many countries but never LIVED outside of Egypt...I'm scared of that new experience :S
I would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you and best regards,

Hi there & welcome!

With a family of 3 that income will be rough for Western standards of living PLUS school.
I have no kids, but I know that decent schools are quite expensive.
Good apartments start at 300KD.
Groceries for two cost me almost (if not more) 200KD a month, eating out with 3 will be more, I guess.
Let alone, a car and the laundry.
Yes, some landlords / rental companies specify who they rent to.
In most cases the ad says 'Foreigners only' (which is hilarious in a way,...), but they mean Westerners.
I don't know what to tell you about the negotiations.
I am sure someone will chime in with more Info.
In the meanwhile you could check older posts, there are some about the cost of living here.

Best wishes,
Nicole

Hi,

I dont think the offer will be enough for a decent westernized upper middle class way of living especially with 2 kids. I dont have kids but I also heard that schools are expensive here. I'd suggest you to ask for double. If I were you I would not move here with that offer, granted I dont know your living standards and income in Egypt but I'd think Kuwait's cost of living is higher.

Wish you the best for yourself and your kids.

Good luck
Jda

I've lived in Sharm el Sheikh for 10 months and yes, Kuwait is more expensive than Egypt.
Everything as far as I can tell is at least 10 to 20% more expensive.

I'd agree with most comments, not sure about school costs but a decent apartment is at least 300, my food including eating out is around 250 and thats for one!! Add in club membership or you'll be bored witless and thats another 30-?? a month including the kids.

NicoleB,
Thank you for your great feedback, as you have lived here in Egypt for sometime gave you a good idea about the prices and comparison is what i was looking to know.
Best regards,

holdcardsdown,
No, i meant 3 other than me, well...i think they have offered quite less than they should've.
Thank you for the info.

Jda,
I think you are absolutely right, thank you so very much.

Rob G,
Thank you for your club tip...Yes, without activities it will be HARD on my family big time especially that i live in a country that never sleeps!

600KD with housing is not enough for what you are looking for-- English schools are expensive here-- easily 1000 KD and up per student depending on the school and the age of your child.

Upper middle Western lifestyle -- serviced apartments are about 550 KD and up especially if you plan on living in Salmiya with 2-3 bedrooms.

Laundry and drycleaning is not expensive here-- a man's suit is 1.5 KD, business shirts (400 fils), woman's blouse (750 fils), etc......

Eating out? Depends -- breakfast buffet is around 4.5 KD a person, lunch buffet (8KD and up) , dinner more.

Shisha,
I guess you're right, supporting a family will never be enough with such small pay.
I think they will have to double it or i will have to forget it!
Thank you for your elaboration.
regards.