At what elevation in PR do mosquitos cease to exist?

At what elevation in PR do mosquitos cease to exist?  Ive heard that at a certain level in the mountains it is too cold for them

hmmm...I lived in both Minnesota and Alaska in years past, seems like those darn things were everywhere I went - doubt that it gets too cold for them anywhere in PR???

I'd imagine that rainfall/standing water has a big impact.  This past summer with the drought they weren't bad at all (SJ Metro area).  Last summer, with the normal rainfall, about 50% of the people living in our development contracted Chikungunya.

I am not aware of any threshold at which moskitos can not fly within PR, as they tend not to file a flight plan.

The main control is removing stagnant water. A lot of people have cans, tires, etc in their yard that collect water and allow mosquitos to thrive.

No blood to suck also limits them, so less populated areas will have less mosquitos.

Spraying affect other bugs and animals like the coqui, if one can not remove a water collecting container, a thin film of oil will cause them to die also small fish like the guppies help control the population.

I think at about 10 meters below sea level.

Good luck!

The mosquitos in Puerto Rico will fly as high as the top of your head and as low as your toes.

The steady trade winds should offer some relief in keeping the bugs down in the windy areas.   Are any parts of the island noted for exceptionally bad infestations of mosquitos?

Sitka wrote:

Are any parts of the island noted for exceptionally bad infestations of mosquitos?

Our bedroom when there's no electricity to run a couple of fans. :)

Loiza is bad and anywhere were marches are due to the amount of vegetation and lots of places for stagnated water.

Matin PeNa area in Santurce is pretty bad also (marches). I assume around Fajardo may also be bad.

Not too familiar with the west side of the island.

This is a topic that was talked about for several days of a face book site . Where we lived in arecibo .We had no mosquitos and we were in the mountains. Currently I live in the mountain area cruces in Rincon .I have none here either. But there are people who live in cruces that complain of mosquitos. When we lived in joyuda Cabo rojo we had mosquitos for 2 hrs we had ocean front property.  We never allow stagnant water at any of our places . The natives say to use certain plants like Citronella plants and lemon grass .Also I was told if certain fruit is on your property you will also have mosquitos .Any remedy that people swear by is taking 1 b complex daily and the mosquitos won't bother you

Sandra, you mentioned 1 b complex daily. I assume you mean a vitamin or supplement?

My wife attracts the mosquitos, she always gets several bites when she visits the island, I rarely get bitten. At the last trip I visited Loiza without her but with another Puerto Rican family member, the mosquitos in Loiza went after my legs and I wound up with several bites in my legs, my family member with me did not get a single bite and we were sitting together at the same table.

It seems some of us smell more delicious than others, maybe the B vitamins do the trick, LOL.

Here is an article in WebMD about that: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features … ito-magnet

Besides people mosquitos also like sugary stuff, see this article: http://www.mosquitoreviews.com/mosquitoes-eat.html

There not bad in Sabana Grande, with the winds we are getting it seams they fly away. We will see tonight when we are outside celebrating.

my wife said she read somewhere that mosquitoes don't fly higher than about 15' above the ground.   If so, sitting on the second story pourch outside should be mosquito free right?

I'll test this theory in a few days.   Give you all a report after the data is in.

Hi Sitka,
Lets say they can not fly on their own more than 15 feet high, however that is 15 feet from the ground or some other surface. As land slopes up or down, that is a changing base. Mosquitos like trees, they stay cool under the tree leaves, if you get too close they swarm at you. those tree leaves are also base level fro start the 15 feet height. Not only that, but the breeze will carry them even higher. Check with people living in apartments 3 or more floors up.

When there is a way I think mosquitos will find a way to grab a meal out of you.

By the way, there is a report in PR of the first confirmed Zika virus victim which is carried by mosquitos. http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/01/health/zi … index.html