Go Dilma!

Am I the only person in Brazil rooting for Dilma? She vetoed a bill that would give "public servants in the judiciary" a salary increase of 78% and that veto was ratified by Brazilian lawmakers. At least Dilma is trying to prevent the situation from getting worse...

Why does any public servant (i.e. government employee) need a salary increase of 78%? And how does a bill like this even come up for consideration? That is, what kind of stupid, selfish people are introducing these bills?   :mad:

For the record, I have a friend who is a "public servant in the judiciary" department of my city. I don't know what her exact position is, but I do know that she works for a judge. She is young and hungry...but in the short time that she has been at her job (almost 2 years), she has been beaten down for "working too hard" and for "knowing too much."  Only in Brazil do they reward the lazy and incompetent! This same friend told me that currently, there are over 2,000 cases in her department that haven't been entered into the system. I don't understand why they don't hire some interns or put in some paid/unpaid overtime to get this sh*t done. Maybe they are too busy planning their 3-week paid vacation in December? Yes, on top of the mandatory 1-month vacation that these public servants in her department get, they also get 3 weeks of paid vacation in December. Unbelievable.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brazils-pre … 1447840239

I think you are the only one...she needs to go and the rest of corrupt government. I am however enjoying her failures with the high Real to the dollar though.

She vetoed the salary increase because of two main reasons: first she knew that in the midst of an economic crisis that was her only option; second that since she can't be re-elected it doesn't really matter what she does. Had it happened during her first term in office she would most certainly have approved the bill.

I too think you're the only one rooting for her. Most of us, just like the majority of Brazilians,,are hoping that she'll come to her senses and resign for the good of the country, or will get impeached before much more damage is done. At least that would have the effect of, at least for the time-being, help restore international confidence in Brazil, until they understand that nothing will change because no matter who is elected to replace her they're all the same.

I love the saying that Brazilians have for it... "farinha do mesmo saco" = flour from the same sack

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

You are not alone rooting for Dilma !

So far nobody has been able to pin any corruption on her or her family. Without her i think that the lava jato investigation would have been stopped a long time ago. How can the country regain international confidence if that happens ?

What is the alternative ? First in line is Temer, the leader of the biggest party, PMDB and the vice president. That party is already distancing themselves from Dilma. He has been in congress most of his adult life and has been under investigation several times - always manages to get off the hook. The worst grease ball there is around and his only interest is himself.

3rd in line is Cunha - well ??? You can write a whole book about this creep - an evangelic radio preacher who managed to manipulate and corrupt himself all the way up to be the speaker of the lower house of the congress.
By now everyone knows that he has been caught with his pants down and has been receiving several million dollars in bribes from the lava jato - let us just hope that they finally throw him in jail. Former president Cardoso has written about him in his latest book and it is not flattering.

Any of these would be a disaster and in my opinion the best would be to let Dilma finish her term - she was elected and Brazil is still a democracy. Then we can just hope that some miracle candidate who is competent and clean will emerge. (Brazil is a catholic contry - they still beleives in miracles)

CraigF wrote:

I think you are the only one...she needs to go and the rest of corrupt government. I am however enjoying her failures with the high Real to the dollar though.

I think you might be right...on both accounts. (edit:  Actually, Cabo Frio seems to be sorta kinda rooting for Dilma as well because she's currently "the lesser of three evils.") But if Dilma goes, who will replace her? There is not a single, viable candidate in sight!

My mother in-law is one...😳

Cabo Frio wrote:

You are not alone rooting for Dilma !

So far nobody has been able to pin any corruption on her or her family. Without her i think that the lava jato investigation would have been stopped a long time ago. How can the country regain international confidence if that happens ?

What is the alternative ? First in line is Temer, the leader of the biggest party, PMDB and the vice president. That party is already distancing themselves from Dilma. He has been in congress most of his adult life and has been under investigation several times - always manages to get off the hook. The worst grease ball there is around and his only interest is himself.

3rd in line is Cunha - well ??? You can write a whole book about this creep - an evangelic radio preacher who managed to manipulate and corrupt himself all the way up to be the speaker of the lower house of the congress.
By now everyone knows that he has been caught with his pants down and has been receiving several million dollars in bribes from the lava jato - let us just hope that they finally throw him in jail. Former president Cardoso has written about him in his latest book and it is not flattering.

Any of these would be a disaster and in my opinion the best would be to let Dilma finish her term - she was elected and Brazil is still a democracy. Then we can just hope that some miracle candidate who is competent and clean will emerge. (Brazil is a catholic contry - they still beleives in miracles)

Good points, Cabo Frio! Dilma may be incompetent, but there's a difference between being incompetent and corrupt. (Actually, I don't know whether she is or isn't corrupt - after all, she's a Brazilian politician - however, as of today, there's still no evidence of any real wrongdoing on her part.) And yeah, the alternatives, Temer and Cunha, are much worse.

CraigF wrote:

My mother in-law is one...😳

Your mother-in-law is a viable candidate? Why? Because she's Brazilian?  :lol: