What things are hard or impossible to get in Montenegro

Hi, I'm planning a possible move to Montenegro with my family of 4. My in-laws were ex-pats in Spain for a few years and when we visited we always had a shopping list of things they couldn't find in Spain, stuff like maple syrup, canned pumpkin, nicorrette gum etc.

What creature comforts do you miss and can't find in Montenegro? I saw a video that someone complained that good quality vegetables were difficult to find in the coastal towns? Is this true?

KimExPat wrote:

Hi, I'm planning a possible move to Montenegro with my family of 4. My in-laws were ex-pats in Spain for a few years and when we visited we always had a shopping list of things they couldn't find in Spain, stuff like maple syrup, canned pumpkin, nicorrette gum etc.

What creature comforts do you miss and can't find in Montenegro? I saw a video that someone complained that good quality vegetables were difficult to find in the coastal towns? Is this true?

Hey Kim :)
When I moved to Montenegro 7 years ago, there was a LOT of foreign supplies missing... Each year you see more and more coming on the market which is great. There was no Heinz Ketchup, or Soja Sauce, or Sushi Supplies, Coconut milk... Now you can find these...
Each nationality of course has their own "needs" and for us French people, I would say that what is missing the most is French "Saucisson" (despite the huge selection of dry meet they have here, but they tend to smoke and salt (too much) absolutely everything.....) and Cheese (they have cheese, but a very small selection, and usually very young).

So I don't recall seing any canned pumkin (pretty sure you can't find it) or nicorette gum (everyone smokes here) ;) but Maple syrup I think there is.... A US expat would be better placed to give you more info :) Gary maybe: https://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php … mp;lang=en
Cheers!

KimExPat wrote:

I saw a video that someone complained that good quality vegetables were difficult to find in the coastal towns? Is this true?

By the way I am very surprised to read this, as this is one of the things expats enjoy the most in Montenegro: the quality of vegetables, fruits, meat etc. You can find very good organic locally grown vegetables and fruits year round on the coast, especially super tasty tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers etc. in the summer, and all sorts of winter vegetables in the winter. Also the meat is extremely tasty and tender, and there's a good selection of fresh fish as well....
I would say that the restaurants are a bit "boring" after a few years as there is little variety (mostly National Cuisine, which is delicious by the way, and Italian Cuisine). So until some new types of restaurants open, if you like to cook you can make amazing dishes with the local supplies because the ingredients are so good.

Just to add on to what Tsarine said...Whatever you don't find in Montenegro just stop by neighboring Albania and shop at Conad (Italian supermarket) or Carrefour (French) and you can find it easily there.....at a fraction of the cost ;-)

Things that are impossible to get in Montenegro?

Plastic zip-lock bags.

A Starlink subscription. The Powers That Be want the ability to pull the plug on all Internet service should it suit their political needs. (Note: most Internet service passes through routers in Serbia, so Serbia can also pull the plug.) The government has created very high barriers to offering Starlink service subscriptions.

Clean breathable air in Podgorica in November through February. The area has the worst air in Europe in the winter, mostly because there is no natural gas (methane) infrastructure and wood burning for heat and cooking is widespread. They are also burning cheap high-sulfur ignite coal for power. The bad air is estimated to take 1 to 2 years off your life expectancy (and make you sick long before you die).

And yes, as answered above: Nicorette gum (or any other brand of the same). If you try to import it, you'll have serious issues with Customs. It may be easier to import  weapons-grade uranium ;-) The tax authorities want you to continue paying tobacco taxes, and the pension funds want you to die sooner. Combine tobacco smoking with the bad air and the pension funds have a much lower payout.

FYI  when we  moved here,  my roommate brought about  eight  boxes of nicotine gum.   So I would suggest you bring them when you move!

@nicholerodich ... and don't declare the nicotine gum or you'll likely be treated like a drug smuggler.