Making phone calls in Sweden

Hi,

When settling in Sweden, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Sweden?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Sweden's phone suppliers/providers are all useless, with absolutely no concern for their customers, or their rights. Telia offers an overpriced near monopoly service of poor value. They demanded a substantial interest-free deposit before providing a laughable service and had to be chased for deposit refund after three years had elapsed. On the mobile front, we had the misfortune to deal with a company that kept changing its name. God knows what it now is but it started out as ICE or ICE Net or something like that, eventually becoming Net1. Their service was equally dreadful. They refused to provide some services because we were 'not Swedish', a clear breach of international/EU discrimination law. As they do not subscribe to the Telecomms Ombudsman service, they, too, could take no action - a totally toothless/useless organisation. When we were about to leave the country and demanded a sum to pay for the duration of the contract till it closed, they failed/refused to do so - presumably so they could try charging their absurd monthly avgift. I eventually calculated it myself and paid in advance. They then had problems finding the payment in their system cause I'd used an old payment slip rather than a special one provided for the payment. As far as I know, three years after leaving the country, they are still trying to bill me for a service they were told to stop and is now presumably being used by the new owner of our old house in Vasternorrland. Be warned. It's the Swedish way.

Landline you can get if the apartment ot house have already installed. Same with interned by fiberglass. Alternatively you can use 4 G that is not good but decent.( it depends where you come from).

Cost of mobile is quite high and internet is not unlimited, but with a proper plan works pretty well

While you will be tempted to go with Telia, I recommend buying the phone first then doing a Sim card number/service. We use WiFi at home but the unlimited data plans are expensive!  ;) . The kids save their minutes for real talking and use an app for free texting. Always have a land line.

Hi,

I was in Stockholm for a year and used lyca mobile prepaid connection. As I need to make international calls so much during office hours so I found lyca has better option.
But along with lyca, you get comviq, telenor, 3 etc a lot of other options.
For prepaid connection my expense was 100-200 SEK max. Rest I was managed by Skype calls.