Kitchens

This might sound silly but.....
I have heard people talk about buying washers and dryers and fridges and how they are expensive. What about small appliances?
Can I get a blender similar to a vita mix? What about a mixer good enough to use dough hooks with? 
Here's a biggy for me. Cast iron. I cook with cast iron mainly, they are heavy to bring into country, but if I don't will I be able to purchase good quality cast iron? 
Thanks

TracieB wrote:

I have heard people talk about buying washers and dryers and fridges and how they are expensive. What about small appliances?  Can I get a blender similar to a vita mix?

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Tracie B. of Utah....

Figure on imported electronics and small appliances being more expensive due to tariffs and shipping costs fronted by the vendor. 

I have a 40-inch Tekno flatscreen TV made in Ecuador .. plus a dishwasher and a refrigerator bought here (about $700 each) that are all just fine.  My simple, efficient microwave cost about $129.  All of these were bought new at El Recreo shopping center in Quito in July 2013.  Prices included delivery and set-up .. a free DVD player and a free blender.

The fluff 'n fold laundry one block from my condo does all my clothes washing and drying.  If I did my own laundry, it would create problems....

-- Upfront expense of $1,500 to $2,000 for the machines.

-- I'd need to hire an electrician to re-do the wall plugs and deal with any electrical issues.

-- The machines would take up space I use for other things.

-- More time dealing with laundry.

I had a fancy juicer that I brought with me from the U.S. in my luggage.  You could do the same.

cccmedia in Quito

TracieB wrote:

Here's a biggy for me. Cast iron. I cook with cast iron mainly, they are heavy to bring into country, but if I don't will I be able to purchase good quality cast iron?

Who knows if you'd find what you'd need in Ecuador....

I'd select two or three of your favorites and bring them with you in a box or in standard luggage.

The weight might trigger an excess charge, but it'll be worth it:  it solves your problem without needing to hunt high and low for the same quality you're used to.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks for input.
So I think we will buy the big things and bring the smaller things :-)

Right.

Blender, laptop, iPhone or similar -- all good to bring one per person.

cccmedia in Quito

TB,

I agree with c3m, one of the biggest shocks coming to Ec is the cost of anything with a plug. If you have a certain preference or a must have item. Bring it. The overage price will be of little concern for having what you want.

This is something I would recommend you think about concerning everything you use on a daily basis. What seems like a small thing there, could be a frustrating endeavor here. While many things are available, they can be at a cost your not used to. Not to mention the fact that Walmart, Home Depot etc. do not exist here.

This means looking for a simple item can become an adventure. Think of life back in the 30's. If you needed a light bulb, you went to the light bulb shop, linens, the linen shop etc. A shop for each need. Nowadays, one stop shopping has made life much easier. Ecuador has a few "Mega" stores, but they are not like what you have now.

Keep in mind that once you obtain your residency visa, you will have 6 months to bring your house hold goods without incurring the full wrath of customs. You may want to bring essential items, at first. Then plan your HH goods bill of lading. You will find there will be certain items you simply cannot find or replicate here, so you will want to have a reasonable stock of them, for future use.

When I came I thought I had brought a lot; Six Military duffle bags, four medium suitcases, plus as many carry ons as I could get away with. I quickly found, I should have brought more. But that was for me and my life style, you very well may need less, or more. It was something I wish I had given more thought to prior to moving.