US citizen wants to live one month in Bucarest.

Hello felllows,
I hope I can live up to my own introduction. Am looking for a challenge at this stage in my life. I should say for all acounts and purposes and having reached my fifty first birthday that new quest(s) are being considered by yours truly. I feel I could simply venture out but this is not my nature when considering the high cost of one way flight from Los Angeles to Bucuresti plus all the amenities of actually arriving from door to door. Ideal scenario if such option is viable is renting my own private room in with native or english speaking Romanians which would be actually my preference. If I can find work without to much hassle am game just for about anything that I can do that will complement my savings. Am not afriad of hard work, however fall and winter are coming up... How are winters in Bucuresti.???

Anyone here interested in english or spanish proficiency in exchange of: [...you name it as long as it is legal...]
Cheers

xLoG2x wrote:

Hello felllows,
I hope I can live up to my own introduction. Am looking for a challenge at this stage in my life. I should say for all acounts and purposes and having reached my fifty first birthday that new quest(s) are being considered by yours truly. I feel I could simply venture out but this is not my nature when considering the high cost of one way flight from Los Angeles to Bucuresti plus all the amenities of actually arriving from door to door. Ideal scenario if such option is viable is renting my own private room in with native or english speaking Romanians which would be actually my preference. If I can find work without to much hassle am game just for about anything that I can do that will complement my savings. Am not afriad of hard work, however fall and winter are coming up... How are winters in Bucuresti.???

Anyone here interested in english or spanish proficiency in exchange of: [...you name it as long as it is legal...]
Cheers

Hello,

If I understand correct from the title of this topic, you want to stay in Bucharest for a month? In this time, you want to rent a room with Romanians that speak fluent English (not likely you'll find a Romanian that speaks it natively, as Romanian is the native language of Romanians :) ), and work also?

Well, as far as renting a room for one month, your chances are virtually none.  Maybe you could try couchsurfing for this amount of time, or another option is a lower priced hotel/pension.  Whether or not you'll find some thats really fluent in English, well there are enough people in Bucharest that know varying levels of English :) As far as working goes, you cannot work in Romania on a tourist visa, just as Romanians cannot visit the US and work on tourist visa.  There's work visas for that purpose.

As for the winters, they're nasty in general.  Mud everywhere, uncleared sidewalks and roads which are both crowded, quite cold temperatures....pretty much a polar opposite of LA.

I also saw you noted the high cost of a one-way flight?  :/  Are you going somewhere else after your Romanian experiment?  Keep in mind that when leaving USA, the airlines will often ask you why you don't have a roundtrip ticket, or an onward ticket to another destination.  If you cannot show them a residence permit, a long-stay visa or onward travel, they won't let you board.  Also, remember, a one-way ticket is much more expensive that a RT.

Romaniac
Romania Expat Advisor
Expat-Blog

Romaniac,  that's what I was afriad of... work visa which makes perfect sense now that you mention this... and yes ur right on native Romanias speak RO. small syntax glitch after midnight. I was thinking along the lines of someone with some reasonable amount of english which as you clearified is feasible. All that aside, winters are not my forte and never have been even in LA. Great point on that one-way ticket. Indeed RT is less expensive but I have to commit to a definite return date. Meaning if all goes well am on my way back around the 30 day mark or sooner should things not be quite snug i'll be paying a fee to change my return date. but if then turns into a "... sorry sir we need to see that you are coming back..." then no-thing is further requiered than to consider this more of a see for myself exploration. Althought I must admit the work thing is perhaps reasonable if I comply with whatever it is and am afriad that it is not going to be worth or even doable. Remarkable site and reply.

Cheers mate !