Car service

My colleague's cousin owns some taxi's in Manila. He is quoting me Ph500 per day to pick me up in the Fort Bonafacio area and take me to my office in Ortigas and return in the evening. He says this is a public taxi so assume its the normal small Toyota or similar. I am ok as long as it has aircon and they pick me up on time.

Is ph500 (or ph 250 each way) reasonable?  I cant remember how much a normal taxi cost, I thought somethine like 150 or so. I am willing to pay a premium if they pick up on time.

Thanks,
Don

fron the fort to ortigas .. yeah .. its abit over, but if you are guaranteed to be picked up, its a good driver and  no hassle, then it could be worth it .. HOWEVER . if you calculate it, ( 500/day * 20days/mo * 11mo = 143.000 ... ) ... its a LOT of money ... so ... its reallly up to you....

The price with a metered taxi is about 100 pesos when there is no traffic and maximum 150 during peak hours.

Thanks. I remember taking a taxi and getting rates from 150 to 200. So am thinking of using them for a few weeks until I get settled. I just remember its a PIA to get a taxi from Ortigas in the afternoon so would be more than happy to pay a little more for guaranteed pick up.  Wish me luck.

Don

taxis look out mate thay will rip u off i will never for get the first time i was there andi had to pay a taxi  au$100 so look out some of them are out to get u no matter what metter or not......

Yeah, I know. The first taxi I got in at the Ortigas Mega mall would not go on meter and said P300 as it was rush hour and all taxis would charge that. Got out and next taxi charged about 150 on the meter.  Its a PIA.

Also, funny story. I just arrived at NAIA for the first time and went to the rest toom acrodd from the hotel area pick up. As was crossing the street, the guard ran up to me and said "fine fine" illegal to cross. I called my colleague, a filippina and she gave him a piece of her mind. Never the leas, I did not pay and she was so embarrassed for the poor condition of her country that they harass people just coming in from the airport.

Cei la vie.
Don

Bro, I use Basic Taxi all the time when I'm in Makati City and here's their tel # Basic Taxi dispatcher 029001447. Their cars are white with red logos. Their cars are usually decent but I've riden in a few older toyotas, but all had running AC. They are always on time, sometimes even too early for pick ups. They charge a flat rate from Makati city to Ninoy international airport, Php 340 last year, I think, it may have change to PhP 400. From my experience, they are an honest company and their drivers courteous as well. If you befriend 2 drivers you trust, get their cell #'s so you have a dependable driver on any day of the week regardless of their shifts. From where u are going I would say Php 100-115 with no traffic and ~150 with heavy traffic one way. Demand using the meter in any taxi you ride, even if it's a 5 min ride, unless of course you've made a flat rate arrangement. Stick to the flat rate agreement even if the driver is trying to hustle you for more money.(Note:It's the younger punk drivers the are usually the bad apples among
taxi drivers in general trying to hustle for more money, I noticed drivers on Sunday are senior citizens and are a bit more honest. Never pay more than Php 300 in any trip in metro manila, I made that mistake the first time I was there. Here's why, I went on a 2hr trip outside Manila to Dasmarinas,Civite which is a 2hr trip with even with light traffic and it barely passed the Php 300 mark on the meter, so there's no way in hell one could run up a taxi bill of Php 300 in metro manila even if the cars are moving as fast as your grandma can walk.
Oh ya, there's a Yellow taxi as well. All their cars look nice and new but they charge a bit more off the bat, I think they start at Php70 on the meter. So far, i think they are the most expensive taxis I've seen in Manila. From what I hear it's an Australian owned company. Remember, if you don't know where you're going, demand using the meter and stick to it, don't pay anymore than the meter even if the driver demands more, but if you do decide to give him more money, throw the coins in his face and shove the bills down his throat. (I'm kidding about the last part, my NY and NJ temper just came out, it just pisses me off that I ended up doing that the first time I was there :) Good luck. If u need anymore help just post away and ask, i'll try to help you as much as I can. Good Luck

Hi Don,

Is this a regular/everyday drop-off and pick-up?

Or just a one-time deal?

Cheers,
Chloe