Volunteering in Hungary

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Hungary?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Hungary?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

There is this one.  http://www.wwoof.net/

Maximilien wrote:

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Hungary?

Many international NGOs have offices in Hungary and many accept volunteers. One can look up these organization's local offices in Hungary online.

Local religious communities (churches, etc) also may be grateful for offers to volunteer.

For those up to 30, one option is: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ed … dex_en.htm

Maximilien wrote:

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Volunteering for a charitable organization simply requires one to go to that organization and ask to help.

But language barriers will be the biggest hurdle. Many of the smallest and most in need real community level organizations that need volunteers may not speak the expat's language.

Actually "joining" a charitable organization may be a bit more complicated. There are different type of legally defined structures for charitable or civil organizations in Hungary and each has different rules about its structure and membership.

Mercurien wrote:

There is this one.  http://www.wwoof.net/

One should be aware that Wwoof is not a charity organization. It simply links up those who have an organic or environmentally managed farm with those who want to volunteer to work on such a farm in exchange for food and lodging, and to possibly learn organic or environmental farming techniques.

I am not criticizing the Wwoof system or concept. Simply pointing out that many Wwoof host-volunteer arrangements are a one-to-one barter arrangement to help a local business (even if that business is a good one).

klsallee wrote:

But language barriers will be the biggest hurdle. Many of the smallest and most in need real community level organizations that need volunteers may not speak the expat's language.

Judging by the news, I can see an increase in volunteers with multiple language skills would be useful at Bicske, Keleti and Szeged railway stations. Probably language pairs: Hungarian - Arabic, Arabic - English and of course, Hungarian - English.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Judging by the news, I can see an increase in volunteers with multiple language skills would be useful at Bicske, Keleti and Szeged railway stations. Probably language pairs: Hungarian - Arabic, Arabic - English and of course, Hungarian - English.

Additionally, speakers of Dari, Pashtun, and even Urdu would be needed, as these are languages spoken in Afghanistan, where a large group of those transiting are form.

Facebook has several pet fostering groups in Hungary.  There are groups that help in senior homes. 

Regarding the massive migration, although there are official cleaners, it gets filthy quickly.  Last weekend I went to Keleti, distributed coloring books, bubble, and soccer ball.  I saw two problems. Each wave of refugees has gotten donated food, toys, clothes, shoes, but nothing to carry them in.  So I bought dozens of the sturdiest trash bags and gave them out in twos.  One for donations, one for garbage.  It gave the people a little power, cleaning up their area, and the ability to take all the generous Hungarian donations with them.  Migration Aid is very loosey goosey, but they just tell you to hand out things, give kids a lesson in art or English, just talk to people to calm them does wonders.  Migration Aid also recommends using gloves if you help with cleaning. 

I know tomorrow new laws go into effect, so that may change the flow.  But there is always something to do in Hungary for others.

missustoad wrote:

I know tomorrow new laws go into effect, so that may change the flow.  But there is always something to do in Hungary for others.

Since I read reports of the laws being brought in from tomorrow and the state of emergency declaration, I begin to wonder where I am living. Seems like Orban has taken note of Putin's model.  I doubt very much the laws will pass any kind of ECHR test and if one migrant gets shot dead by a Hungarian soldier or police officer, then Orban is going to face even more dissent on the street. He could not survive that politically.

Well, perhaps that will be an area of volunteering. Human rights observers.  Fluffy you always keep me in reality here.

missustoad wrote:

Well, perhaps that will be an area of volunteering. Human rights observers.  Fluffy you always keep me in reality here.

According to Mrs Fluffy, this afternoon's protests down at the Parliament was not widely reported in the Hungarian press (for some reason).

Protests downtown

I live very close to a hospital, actually think it is more of a mental disorder-drunk-drug tank.
They have ambulances coming and going there at all hours, can sometimes see people( often naked men) strapped down to beds with guards standing close by.Not that I am looking for a free show or anything but at night when our lights are off and their's are on, it is hard not to notice since our flat looks down into the rooms.
Last summer I heard a women screaming off and on for a few mornings in clear English.
Sounded like she was in a panic, think she may of been a casualty of one of those summer Island concerts, having way to much fun and found herself locked up.
It made me think about how many ex-pats are in hospitals all over Hungary by accident and in need of a bit of aid.
Anything from picking up supplies, checking their flat, pets, getting them a cell phone to call home whatever.
Even just someone to be a  go between with the medical staff.
Not sure if the embassies do such volunteer services or not.
I felt terrible hearing her screaming to be let go every morning in a panic. It went on for a few days time then nothing. Started hearing her a week later so something big had happened to her.
We often hear screamers at the hospital when the windows are open, usually they "put them out" after a bit.
Never know when you may break a leg or worst and be alone in a strange country, nice if there was someone to help  out even if it was just to visit for a few mins and make sure you were still breathing.

Marilyn:
Why not walk over and ask them who she is and if you can help.  You probably will get nowhere, but who knows?  Sometimes the adventure is in the asking.   I am thinking of a couple of people that I know in my area who probably one day will be regular customers at the mental ward.  In English.  Any idea of the accent?   

This week, I taught my students about "granny dumping" during the holidays (dropping off the senile and demented so that the family can have a quiet Christmas holiday).  Hungarian kids were horrified. 

My brother works at a senior facility in a cold climate.  One winter he got to work and an old lady in a wheelchair was tied to the door of his office. 

Another memory:  a few years ago, I was taking some students (in the US) to a mental hospital as a potential job shadow and one of the women there that they claimed was speaking "word salad" was speaking Hungarian.  I went over to the desk and clued them in.  Sigh.  I don't even speak much Hungarian and I figured that one out.  Poor lady.

Heard that lady over a year ago.
Sad stuff, my neighbor says most of the ambulances coming to that hospital are drug over does.Still get a large amount of over drinking cases sent there.
She said there is some sort of "new" drug that people are taking for recreational purposes and it is making them going crazy.
Women has lived her entire 69 years in this house, her family has been in the building since it was built in 1900.
The hospital is about that old too. She has many stories about the house, 2 world wars, a revolution and this old building is still standing .Tales of the jumpers in the house( people throwing themselves off the rails, literally)
She told us once when she was 11 or so during the 1956 revolution that the smells coming from the hospital were just the worst. The morgue was overflowing.
I wonder if embassies  in Budapest actually send out people to check on ex pats in hospitals if the staff lets them know they are alone or not mentally able to fend for themselves. Do we just get lost in the system if we are single without family or alone?
I heard years ago about a man who only spoke Hungarian and was captured by the Russians in WW11. Some small outpost in Russia. They thought he was speaking "Salad " too, his own insane language. He was locked in a mental ward for decades until someone realized he was sane but never learned any Russian. Sounds like a tall tale but wouldn't doubt if it's true or not.