Cost of living in Peru

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Peru.

Don't forget to mention where in Peru you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Peru?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

It's always seemed to me that most of the blogs in Peru are based in Lima and Cusco - international, touristic cities that are as far removed from ordinary peruvian life as they can possibly be.  Nobody in my city has ever heard of muesli, or toast, or bacon. 
I live in Amazonas, in the north eastern sierra of Perú.  Life's pretty cheap here, especially compared to the 'low' prices of Lima.  I think you probably have to go to Bolivia to get cheaper.

Having skimmed through the prices of other SA countries in the expat forum, it seems I underestimated 'pretty cheap'.  It seems a war-torn, Sudanese level of cheap would be more appropriate a term.  Here, look ...

> accommodation prices
Our staff (I run a language school) rent rooms locally for $20 a month. They're pretty basic.
If you want a luxury furnished apartment, you'd be paying $60 a month.  But the concept of 'luxury' is somewhat different than back home. For instance, pretty much nobody in the city has an apartment with a kitchen, so eating out is the norm, and therefore cheapísimo.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
Well, we're remote.  No, I mean remote.  It's 12 hours bus to the nearest city with bookshops supermarkets or cinemas.  That would cost you around $12.
Anywhere within the city costs you $0.80c in a taxi.  But as only six roads are paved, it's actually more comfortable to forget the hurry and just walk.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
If you eat in a restaurant daily, a two course lunch and refreshment would cost you $1 on average.  I'm a rare creature with a kitchen, so it's a little less.  I share the cost of cooking with my staff, and we all dig in.  It costs us around $28 a month.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
I have medical insurance, but as it only covers doctors who practise in the cities on the coast, around 200 miles from here, I've never used it.  The public hospital charges $1.10 per consultation, and a private hospital charges around $11 for a consultation.  That could rise as far as $13 if you get any work done.

> education prices (if you need to pay)
Most people don't need to pay, and can attend state schools, but private education is expensive, and largely religious.  As many kids study in cities far from their families, offsetting the guilt by slamming them in a religious school is popular (so that families don't need to worry so much about what discos the teens are working in over the weekends, it seems.  Average age of bar staff seems to be 15). 
You can study for 90 minutes a day at the school I run for around $32 per month.  Mind you, the private university only charges $7 per month for the same thing, but with poor teaching, no materials and added insults when you fail, burro.

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Water is around $8 per month for a household of four, and a school, too, and electricity a little over that.  Gasoline I don't know about, because nobody in their right mind would run a car on unsealed Andean roads.  You need an experienced driver to escape the potholes, flash floods, avalanches, and the 12 hour dark stretches of road, so you would be suicidal not to employ a taxi or passenger bus for that purpose.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
Nobody uses personal internet, because there's quite enough web cafes dotted around the city, who all charge $0.30 per hour.
TV costs nothing, if you like 3 blurry channels - or if you want cable, you can pay $35 a month, or do what most people do - go to a pollería with cable and spend the duration of the movie you want to see gently nursing a cup of tea - $0.20 for as long as you can stretch it.
Pay as you go, or prepaid mobiles are the rage here.  In a room full of 60 people, generally nobody will have credit.  The cheapest PAYG phone costs about $10 from Claro.

A trad local restaurant will offer the 'menu' or almuerzo (2 course lunch) for $1.  You can go ritzy, and pay $1.50 if you want silverware and a tablecloth, though.
Typical regional food is pricier - a plate of cecina  - beef jerky, but oh ... moist, tasty, different - will cost you anything from $1.80 to $3. 
The most expensive dish you could order is $12 - a whole roast cuy, or guinea pig.

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub
A beer is $1.20 for a big stein of Pilsen.  The local custom of 'one beer' is that you share one bottle, and one glass, between all of your party.
A Pisco Sour would come in at $2 and is for impressing girls.  A coffee is $0.30 for a good one, a cafe pasado.  But you could pay less if you prefer instant. 
The favourite weekend brain maasher is to round off a night of beer drinking, with a jug of coffee with six piscos in it.  But that's for the government workers, not the ordinary guy.

> price of the cinema
A twelve hour night bus to a city with a cinema costs around $12.  I don't know the price of entry, I usually just fall asleep as soon as I get there.  :)

Price Index for Arequipa, Peru (based on Nov 19 exchange rate, USD 1 : PEN 3.1070)

Taxi, anywhere in city: $0.97 - 1.61
Combi (public buses): $0.23
Lunch at a menu: $0.97 - 1.93
Ceviche at a nice cevicheria: $4.83
Chicken kebab at El Turko: $1.93
Beer (620ml / 21oz) in most bars: $1.93
Heineken at Deja Vu (the most expensive bar): $2.57
Hostel, per night: $6.44 - 16.09
My monthly rent in Cayma: $100
My monthly wireless service, unlimited RPC: $11.26
Santa Catalina: $9.66
Ice Princess: $4.83

The monthly rent, does that include furniture?

Someone from Lima or Cuzco please post those prices. 
This info is very nice, thanks guys.

jessi330 wrote:

The monthly rent, does that include furniture?

Not usually.  But you can buy a mattress, a table, and a stool for $50.

In Lima you can find apartments for @ 500 per month, By the way,I am renting my furnished apartment in La Molina, Lima, contact me at [email protected]
Roberto

For Lima:

> accommodation prices - My apartment is $430 a month, plus roughly $65 a month building fee... I live in a very nice part of Lima (San Borja - near the Pentagonito) and my apartment is unfurnished, but large (2 stories, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and a living room / dining room).  It is older, but well-kept.  I have seen apt. as cheap as $120 a month and as expensive as $3000 a month.  IŽm sure you can find both more and less expensive apartments - furnished or unfurnished. 

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...) combis... they are around 30 - 60 cents to most parts of the city.  The combi system is kind of messed up though - and you might want to look into taxis or a private driver...  I take taxis, because the combis donŽt pass by where I live.  Taxis cost anywhere between 4 soles ($1.30) and 25 soles ($8.30) (to the airport...)... you negociate the price with the driver before getting in!

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?) Depends what you want.  You can eat at inexpensive restaurants for 5 or 6 soles... (less than $3)...but I donŽt anymore after I got sick.  There are a plethora of American restaurants which cost similar to the States.  If you want to eat cheap...you can.  I spend about 300 soles a month... or $100 on groceries... and then more eating out.  I am 1 person, though my boyfriend often eats with me...

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)... not sure... i get this through my job...

> eduction prices (schools if you need to pay)... public are free, but not good.  private schools can be expensive.  The school I teach at is about 2000 soles ($630) a month i believe

> energy prices (oil, electricity) My electric bill is about $15 a month.  I keep everything unplugged besides the fridge, and I turn the water heater on a half hour before I need it.  I also use energy efficient bulbs.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) Telmex 260 soles a month (about $85) includes high speed wireless internet, cable, and phone with 350 international minutes... cell phones are a bit pricey... me and my friends just text usually...

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant - at a good restaurant...like la biseteca... 60 soles ($20) or a little more... per person with no alcohol.

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub  hmmm not sure.  starbucks has normal prices, and I donŽt drink beer...

> price of the cinema... depends on the day... tuesday is half priced cinema day... and costs about 9 soles ($3).  most expensive i think is on saturday and its about 18 soles ($6)

hope this helps!

I wonder if anyone knows how to obtain a legal residency (preferably permanent)in Peru? What does it take to be able to live in Peru and how complicated to get it?

Thanks...!!

I think prices in lima are not so expesive, not that much. But there are those who likes tricking people, especially folks from other countries I mean english or german speaking people.

Regards

Lima in general is getting a lot more expensive.  Part of the issue is that the dollar is falling against the sol (peruvian money).  Most ppl I know live in Miraflores (which is pricey... per say...) and pay between $600 and $1000 a month (furnished).  I live in San Borja, but on the nice side.  You can live in a POC and pay a LOT less. 

I personally want to have an American standard of living here, so my costs are according to having a decent life style and not living in an unsafe area and taking combis.  If you want to take the unsafe little buses, it costs about 1.50 soles per trip. 

Lima IS expensive for a 3rd world city, but not for a huge capital city.... regardless if you are a spanish speaker or not.  And, BTW, I am a fluent Spanish speaker, and my boyfriend is Peruvian, so.

As for residency... get your carnet de extranjeria, live here for 2 years and apply for your citizenship.  the end ;)  lol

any update regarding the cost of living in Peru ?

Sarsparilla wrote:

It's always seemed to me that most of the blogs in Peru are based in Lima and Cusco - international, touristic cities that are as far removed from ordinary peruvian life as they can possibly be.  Nobody in my city has ever heard of muesli, or toast, or bacon.

I hear you....

> price of the cinema
A twelve hour night bus to a city with a cinema costs around $12.  I don't know the price of entry, I usually just fall asleep as soon as I get there.  :)

You forgot to add that you get a FREE movie on the bus :D

Great rundown, by the way, and we will be there for a visit when we get the time, energy, and plata.

Is smokeless tobacco available in Peru?

Thanks

How much does it cost to live in Peru? Don't forget to mention where in Peru you are living.

Los Organos, Dept of Piura. Northern Beach near Mancora.

*Food is more expensive here because nothing is grown in the area. Other costs can be higher because of tourism.

> accommodation prices - Large 2 bd 1 bath upstairs half of house S/450 soles.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)Mototaxi anywhere in town S/ 1-2 soles.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)Two people $220.00 USD

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)NA

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)NA

> energy prices and utilities Electric and water S/. 90.00 soles

> common bills (Internet, mobile phone)
internet S/. 99.00 soles. Cel phone around $29.00 USD month.

S/. 25.00. soles

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
No pubs here.

> price of the cinema - What's that?

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Yes, it is smokless cigarretes in Jockey Plaza Mall.
I think that not all of expat wants to live in the edge of prices. if you want to leave in Miraflores, all depends if the apartment has or not an ocean view. for example, you could like to skeem the classifieds of the newspaper elcomercio.pe to have an idea.
An vergage apartment furnished and equipped ranges from US$650 to US$1,200 or US$2,000.(1 dollar = 2.78 soles) For Health, it could be an insurance in the Clinica Americana or Good Hope Clinic. Both re on internet.
Food for a week in Wong or Plaza Vea can be US$64. Wong has delivery.
Taxi from Miraflores to Lima downtown is US$5 to US$6, to the airport, is US$11.
Metrpolitano new buses is US$0.84 (S/.1.50)
A hamburger in Mac Donalds US$4.68 (cobo: french fries and drink)

This is for Sarsparilla, this Amazonas is a area yes?(as in canton)I could not find the name of your town? village? please if you would be so kind as to share. thank you, lee

CHEAP

Cold Chill wrote:

This is for Sarsparilla, this Amazonas is a area yes?(as in canton)I could not find the name of your town? village? please if you would be so kind as to share. thank you, lee

Amazonas is a region, (or a department) - look for Kuelap fortress or Gocta waterfalls on the tourist sites to find it.  My city is the largest city in the region.  It's sierra, not selva.  (mountain, not jungle)

What we think of in English as the Amazon would be San Martin, or Loreto regions, and referred to (if at all) as Amazonia.

Hey guys , i'm planning to travel to iquitos this November ,does any one have and idea about prices there ?

Thanks,

Cost of living in Lima is rising surprisingly ! Those who are earning in Dollar are loosing in currency conversion as dollar is weakening against local currency ,The rent of aprtments in Miraflores is goining up , Education and medical service are costly as compared to other monthly expenses,without medical insurance the health problem may be a big financial burden ,American and British schools have comparatively higher cost.

Thanks upmansingh. But do you know how would it be in iquitos ?

I currently live in the United States and am looking to move to South America in the near future.  Peru seems like a very interesting and hospitable country.  I want to live in a rural area, or a town that is far off from the big cities.  I also want to make a living doing something to help my small community out or just having my own shop.  Where do you all suggest that has a cheap cost of living?

Thank you!

Tyler, I'm wanting to know the same thing.  I'm in Louisiana in the States and am looking forward to heading to South America.  A simple life in a rural area is where it's at.  I just haven't figured out how I'm going to support myself in one of these areas.  I am also wondering what one can do to survive in an area like this.  I am ready to go, just unsure what will happen once I get there.  Don't want to find myself broke and living on the streets...  If anyone has any advice, please speak up :)

Hello all here en this foro,Im Edu I'been long time working in the cruiselines around the world,I'm a Peruvian and I feel proud that all of You wants to come here.
Peru has one of best climates of the world, I mean if you want cold, you can go to the mountain or if you want heat, you have the coast-north or the Selva.

Tylervsmith and helichrysum if you want to live in the rural area,you can live anywhere of the coast or the mountains, where the life costs are cheap than the tourist places or capital Lima, where you can invest in some business that serves You to live calmly, the business can be some store of clothes, or many people buys cars and they rent the taxi drivers, also some buy lands they rent and them cultivate of rice, sugar or asparagi, or also they can buy an apartment and to rent it and to live on the rent… Recently a Peruvian friend that who live many years in California  USA, put all her money in a financial organization and only lives on the interests that they pay to her,people are many ideas of businesses is only necessary to cheer up and to put it,but also is recommendable it is when arriving to change to all the money in local currency SOL, because Euro is low and the Dollar was also coming down 1Dollar=2.68 soles but the life cost is cheap.

Ok I hope You decided to came here in Peru,if You wants to know more things this is my mail [email protected] o just write in this page so everyone can knows.

Ahhh sorry for my english but long time that I dont write jejej

I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with this site but it may be something worth looking into for you...
http://www.wwoof.org/

Helichrysum wrote:

Tyler, I'm wanting to know the same thing.  I'm in Louisiana in the States and am looking forward to heading to South America.  A simple life in a rural area is where it's at.  I just haven't figured out how I'm going to support myself in one of these areas.  I am also wondering what one can do to survive in an area like this.  I am ready to go, just unsure what will happen once I get there.  Don't want to find myself broke and living on the streets...  If anyone has any advice, please speak up :)

Everything is a matter of attitude, perseverance and much positivism .. live in another country, another reality and lifestyle is difficult but not impossible, so a lot of spirit and great faith, luck

Everything is a matter of attitude, perseverance and much positivism .. live in another country, another reality and lifestyle is difficult but not impossible, so a lot of spirit and great faith, good luck

Everythigs are cheap here.!
Accomodation prices: S/500
Public transportation: On a bus: S/1.20 depend what place you want.
Food: Your entrance & main dish. If you like you buy a soda. but Always the restaurant give you one. It costs S/10.00
Cinema: Between S/5.00 and S/. 18.00 outside your popcorn and soda. They are other price.

One dollar.......here is S/2.86  Imagine!

Good Luck!
Jocie♥

Hi everyone,

I will not be as exhaustive as everyone else, but it will give you an idea of what i pay as a student in Lima. All of the prices are in soles.

Renting: living in Miraflores, in a "casa de estudiantes", i paye 950 per month, which is pretty high
transportation: well, the best is to ask to a peruvian (in your restaurant, hostel or in the street) to have an idea of the price. If you don't have this possibility, i would advise you to stop a cab, say your destination with a really low price (no less than 5 i think) and look the reaction. You have enough taxi drivers in Lima to be able to ask to 5 taxis in less than 5 minutes... Concerning combi, the prices can go from 0.5 to 1.8 i think. Most of the time, you should pay 1 or 1.20

cost of living: i live with 200 per week. I can allow me do spent 50 in surfing, 70 for groceries, 40 to go out and i have 40 more to spent to wash my clothes (4 per kilos), go to restaurants (6 to 8, or around 15 to 20 for a pizza or a burger)...

other things of what i can think of:
     - cigarettes: 6 (i think... i don't smode but you souldn't pay more than 8)
     - tips: 10% of the bill (not necessary)
     - hostel: you can find (out of lima) at 15 to 20 (backpacker's hostels)
     - price of imported goods: same as in Europe or more expensive (no more nutella if you have a restricted budget)

and a last indication: my university asked me to show that i had at least 3000€ before going to Lima for my expenses.

Cusco

My wife and I moved here August of last year and actually live in a small town just outside of Cusco called Huarocondo. We operate a Bed and Breakfast so some of our costs vary depending on how many guests we have at the time, so here are some rough figures, using a conversion of 2.55 from Soles to US Dollars.

accommodation prices - Our rooms go from $7.85 to $29.41 per night, including breakfast

public transportation fares - To get from here to Cusco by colectivo (45min-1hr) costs $1.56 pp

food prices - $120 per month, includes food for the guests

health prices - unknown

education prices - unknown

energy prices - water $3.14/mo flat, Elect $40-$70/mo, Gas (propane) $15.70 every 3 months

common bills - Internet $19.60/mo, Satellite with 4-TV's $39.22/mo, Home Phone $7.85/mo, cell phones about $50/mo

prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant, one of our favorites in Cusco is only $2.35, but the average is $3.92

prices of a beer in a regular pub - $196/lt.

price of the cinema - no cinema, but we get new DVD's for $1.56

My husband and I are planning to move from Washington, DC to Lima, Peru this summer. We are currently looking for jobs. I am a teacher with a lot of experience in teacher professional development and he is a nurse who has also worked in public health projects and in clinic administration.

We really appreciated the info on this blog regarding the cost of living in Lima, Peru, but since that info was posted back in 2009, we wanted to know if someone living in Lima could provide updated info re the cost of living in Lima. We are looking for info on the following:
- Cost for 3 room apartment (furnished, if possible) in safe family-friendly neighborhood (we were looking at San Borja, Miraflores, Barranco and the like, but are open to other recommendations)
- Cost of private schools (we have two kids)
- Cost of utilities (electricity, internet, water)
- Groceries, per week, month at supermarket and street markets.

Also, if anyone has any good leads on good schools, non-profits, or international organizations that would be interested in hiring folks with tons of experience in education and healthcare, let us know.

Thanks a ton!

Hi Cost of living in Peru based on the american dolar: to day 1 us $=2.55 soles. 1 eur =3.30 soles.This rate is the one offered in the street,not at the bank which is paying less(2,45 and 3).
The prices in Lima are getting higher and higher,at the same speed than the growth of the economy.If you plan buying a home,itŽs more violent(about 20% from last year to now).Petrol cost 13 soles a gallon up to 16 for the best quality.Supermarket is expensive,not really cheaper than in the States or Europe.
You will understand that if you want to keep your ocidental standing of life ,you will spend the same,but if you want to live at a lower cost,it will be possible(a lot of popular restaurantes offer lunch or diner quiet good for 6 soles.Urban transportes are cheap too (bus 1 sole a ticket and taxi for from 5 to ten soles).
The best way to learn about this may be have a first information turistic travel before you live definitivly your home country.

https://www.expat.com/en/nationalities/ … rica/peru/

Hi! this might be useful for you here you can find the info you need. its for dutch people but i think is for all countries from EU citizen also canada and australia! where are u from? this might help you.

greetings!

Bren and Jordy

I am planing to move to Lima next october. I want to live in Chorrillos. I am looking for an apartament no more than 400 US. Dollars month. Thank you!!!

That  will be very difficuld with 400$-you will not get one in Miraflores-I and my wife are looking for a apartment too-you must get it out of town people told me
i hope you get luck-pray for you-bacause its dammed difficult

Hi Heli & Tyler, My name's Ellie and hopefully I can help with info about living in a rural area. I've lived in Peru for a couple of years, one year in Arequipa which is a lovely city & the other year in Zorritos.

Zorritos is a small fishing and surfing town in the far north of Peru, the closest city is Tumbes which is half an hour away and very close to the border with Ecuador.
Life is nice and simple in Zorritos and it has a low cost of living, it's all the beach (warm water & weather all year round), fresh seafood and cold beer.

Furnished apartment or house - S/200-S/500 depending on size etc
A good menu (soup, main, drink & dessert) - S/6
Electricity & water are cheap and usually included in rental price
Transport is cheap, a mototaxi is S/1-S/1.50 and a shared taxi to Tumbes is S/3.50.
Sorry, all prices in soles as thats the currency I think in these days. I can't remember what the other points were :)

As far as making a living goes, these rural areas are poorer and my background is English teaching so thats what I know the most about. I've taught English for many years and now I've opened a TEFL training institute where we train people for a month to become qualified English teachers & we find them a job in Peru or abroad. English teaching can pay well, approximately S/1,500 per month.

Please feel free to private message me if you'd like more info :)

Cheers

hello other danish people.im going to transfer my pension from International denmark to Lima.Are there some who knows which bank you use to tranfer money your danish pension to Lima Peru.Im going to live in Lime now with  my wife-but i need a bank name who does that-so pleae help me.

hello again snuske.....

I cannot tell you which bank in Peru has a relationship with your country for automatic deposits.

For the US it is Interbank at the branch near the US Embassy.

That aside, my point is that no matter what,,,,

you will need to have your funds sent as a direct deposit to a Peruvian Bank, right!

that means you have to have an Account in your name at a Peruvian bank,,, right !

ok,,,,,,,,,,, before you can even open and account and do personal banking in Peru you need to get Residency and that is by obtaining the Carnet de Extranjera......

and --------------> you have to be here and be living here to get it........

so again,, I say to you that there are many things you cannot DO from your home country...... you have to Be Here !

generally speaking, once you are here and apply for the Carnet it will take about 3 months to process and to receive it. There ia a mountain of steps and some fees you need to pay to place your application for the Carnet.

pistachio

ps..... Snusk...... listen,, I think your question is not in the correct forum on this site....
there may be a better area here at expat-blog to place your question.....

If you can open an account in Denmark with a bank that issues Visa or Mastercard debit cards, things would be very easy. You can then just withdraw money from that bank through an ATM machine. ScotiaBank ATM doesn't charge for Bank of America withdrawals but other ATMs do.

Again, I have no idea if this applies to your situation, but it sure makes life easier than trying to open a bank account here in Peru.

Lin and I now live in Huanchaco, previously in Los Organos near Mancora. Getting older and health issues so we need to be closer to medical attention - Organos was 2-3 hours by bus, Huanchaco to Trujillo hospitals is only 1/2 hour.

> accommodation prices - $350.00 - $400.00 for nice 3 bdrm 3 bath. We found the cheapest decent apartment we could after looking at many. This was through a friend. It is 2 bdrm 2 bath with hot water and some furnishings for $200 USD per month.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...) - but to Trujillo mall etc is S/1.50 soles or about .50 USD. Taxi to the center of Trujillo is around S/15 or $6 USD, to mall from Huanchaco is S/1 sol. In Huanchaco we live in the center and everything is walking distance, so don't need taxi or bus.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?) About the same as other mid-priced areas in Peru.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) - unknown

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)unknown

> energy prices (oil, electricity) about $30 USD a month.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)Standard pricing for Peruvian phone + internet is around S/129 or $45 aprox. I believe. We got phone and internet within 3 days of ordering it. Wow, that is an improvement over past phone company history!

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant - A menu, typical lunch is from S/6-10 soles or about $3.00 USD

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub - good coffee about $1 USD

> price of the cinema - haven't been to a movie in many years and no cinema in Huanchaco.

You can buy organic produce here on Thursdays cheap and also real bread, whole grain or otherwise.