A quiet island get-away near Nha Trang

The white sandy beaches and coral reefs of Binh Ba Island are only a short motorbike and boat ride from Cam Ranh Township in the central coast province of Khanh Hoa.

The coral island presents a change of pace from the province's bustling capital, the beach resort town of Nha Trang.

To get to the island, go to Cam Ranh bus station and take a motorbike taxi for VND10,000 to Ba Ngoi Wharf. From the wharf, there is a boat to Binh Ba at 10 a.m. for VND10,000 per person and VND5,000 per student. There are two boats that head back to the mainland – at 5 a.m. and 12 p.m.

Nom Beach is a quiet little stretch of smooth sand and very blue water. Along the beach are some rocks, where it is nice to sit and watch the waves. Locals use the beach in summer for bathing and often go there at night when the moon is full for small parties.

The path from Nom Beach to Chuong Beach passes wild flowers, colorful snails and rocky outcrops with small caves. If you take your snorkel and goggles to Chuong Beach, you can see many colorful corals in the sea. There are also a lot of bird nests on the island making it interesting for nature enthusiasts.

A short hike up the hill there are ruins of an old French military base. The top of the hill has beautiful sunset views.

Most of the island residents are fishermen. Shrimp is the main catch.

There are very few if any facilities for tourists on Binh Ba, so it's important to prepare a good picnic lunch or take a tent if you want to stay the night. Otherwise you can eat at some small restaurants and ask one of the locals if you could stay the night. The beach, however, is a great place to camp and have a barbecue.

Source: vietnamnews.us/travel/a-quiet-island-get-away-near-nha-trang/

Hello Karumi, welcome to Expat.com :)

Nice description of this island! Did you go on vacation there?

Binh Ba Island is indeed out of the way and rustic. Located just south of Cam Ranh peninsula near the bay entrance from the South China Sea. It was used by French and US forces during the VN War. It remains much the same thru the years since it is otherwise difficult to get to except by boat.
My wife's parents used to live on this island in the 1960's and it was remote then too. There are some other islands nearby and a number of remote beaches along the south part of Cam Ranh Bay but on the mainland. These are reached off Ql-1/Hwy 1 just south of Cam Ranh township. You skirt the mountains along the south shore of the large bay which is quite beautiful with steep rock walls as you follow the road east toward the oceanside. Finally you reach a split in the road. One goes steeply uphill east toward the isloated beaches and the other heads south until it reaches a small fishing village, very picturesque. Either place you can have the day's fresh catch cooked to your desire and followed by a cool beer or two. Only locals know these places so no Intl tourists are around.

A friend of mine (drifter) just sent me this info. I fully intend to jump on my trusty steed and head down to Cam Ranh to follow up on this. It will make a great blog entry.

Owee
owee58.com

I certainly hope you have a great time around Cam Ranh. Lately it has been beset with flooding but that seems to have receded without much problem but certianly some of the side roads may be damaged so be careful. I had a great time exploring these outlying places that locals frequent. They give the local flavor.

I have been there many times... Did you know Cam Ranh now sport a Maximark and a Metro?? Times they are a changing...

Owee
owee58.com

I just found out these stores in Cam Ranh opened in the past month so the town is picking up. First indoor stores the locals are getting used to.

Vern