Employment opportunities for senior citizens in Australia/NZ

I'm a Sri Lankan female of 59+, single.  I've over 20 years of experience as an English Typist/Clerk in a Bank.  Further, I've worked as an Office Secretary in an overseas school in Saudi Arabia.  I've passed Grade 10 and have been awarded diploma in English from a local university and diploma in Secretarial Administration from LCCI, Exam. Board. Currently I work online as a Typist/Proofreader - work on documents pertaining to HR and legal.  Also I offer English tuition to primary graders.  I'm good at handling children.  Would like to get employed in a school as a Receptionist or Admin. Support in Australia or NZ.  How to get work visas?  My eligibility as I'm 59+?  If not possible, in what way can I get employed? 

Regards.
Ceylonie

wanaja1 wrote:

I'm a Sri Lankan female of 59+, single.  I've over 20 years of experience as an English Typist/Clerk in a Bank.  Further, I've worked as an Office Secretary in an overseas school in Saudi Arabia.  I've passed Grade 10 and have been awarded diploma in English from a local university and diploma in Secretarial Administration from LCCI, Exam. Board. Currently I work online as a Typist/Proofreader - work on documents pertaining to HR and legal.  Also I offer English tuition to primary graders.  I'm good at handling children.  Would like to get employed in a school as a Receptionist or Admin. Support in Australia or NZ.  How to get work visas?  My eligibility as I'm 59+?  If not possible, in what way can I get employed? 

Regards.
Ceylonie

To be honest you will not be able to find work. Unemployment is rising here in Australia. I am an Australian senior citizen, and despite 50 years experience I have only worked 3 months in the last 2 years. My friends who work in the employment industry tell me unofficially that once you reach 45 here your chances of getting work are near zero.
The types of jobs you are seeking will go to locals.
Sorry to sound negative but that is the reality.

The fact is that its difficult for senior citizens to get jobs in Aus/NZ leave alone foreigners.

Thank you very much for responding.

Hi Wanaja1/ Ceylonie,

Im also Chinese Singaporean senior citizen lady around your age and worked as an Admin Assistant before, who is also keen to work in any English speaking countries like Australia, NZ, UK, Canada or America but I know its going to be hard to find a job at our age. Im thinking of traveling there for holiday and at the same time try my luck for any other jobs available besides office jobs.  This way it will not be a waste of time and monies so that at least I can treat it as a travel holiday for me.  If you or any one in this expat web site ,have the same interest as me, please email me at ++++  and we can discuss on plans to travel together with the same intention for holiday as well as to find a job there.
Regards
Sherry

Dear Sherry,
Thanks for your response.  Yes.  I too like the idea.  Need to check as to howl long we can stay on a holiday visa.  Right now, I'm employed on a contract basis which expires in March 2016.  Thereafter, I'm free.  Yet, it is hi time to plan.  Do we have to go via a Travel Agent if we are to go on a holiday visa?  Will there be time for us to work while we have to visit places?  Or can we go just as a tourist?  How do you think?

Once again, thank you very much for the motivation.  Please write back whenever you have time.

Sincerely
Ceylonie

Dear Ceylonie,
When is the exact date of your contract ends??
I just returned from NZ in June'15..  I applied for a work visa but was told that I need to produce a Letter of Employment from the employer to get the visa approved.  The visa fees is about $270/-. 
On the other hand, when I went for a few interviews I was told that I need to produce a work visa before they can employ me.  So, both ways seem impossible for me to find a job. 
I have given up hope but still plan to return there to tour around the place a second time. Im also thinking of traveling to Australia from there since they are close countries, may be for retirement or for longer stay of 2 to 3 months since finding a job is not possible. 
Please contact me on my email ++++ if you are keen to meet me somewhere in one of the countries or u may like to come to Singapore for a holiday so we can meet up first to share and discuss on our same interest.
Regards Sherry Angel

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : share your personal details in private pls