Family planning move from US

Hello everyone,

I'm new to all of this. We are planning to move in one year overseas(leaning towards Spain) Our daughters will be 2 and 4 at the time of the move. Is there anyone out there who has moved to Spain or anyplace else with children who can give advice as to what your experience has been, what you have learned, what we need to know etc.

I have not had a lot of luck finding information. We have posted on many forums and have had very little response so far. We are in the early stages of research and this is part of our research, learning from people who have done it.

We have the income handles, will not need to work there and are coming form NYC so assume the cost of living in Spain will be less than we are used to but that's another aspect we would like some light shed on as we have heard varying opinions. Since we have small children, safety and health care are of course top priorities. The main reason for the move is for a change of environment, better weather, new experiences and easier ability to travel to places we haven't been while our girls are still young. We are leaning towards a Spanish speaking country because we want our girls to learn Spanish.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Stephen, Marie, Ava and Emma

Hi ane111,

I have moved your thread on the Spain forum so as members living in Spain could try to help you.

Thank you

Stéphanie

HI THERE WELL AS TO ADVICE FOR CHILDREN ,NOT MUCH HELP BECAUSE WE CAME HERE AT A LATER AGE AND HAD NONE WITH US, BUT YOU WILL FIND THAT THE LIFE IS BETTER QUIETER AND LESS COSTLY,REGARDING HEALTH UNLESS YOUR AN e,u,CITIZEN  YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE PRIVATE INSURANCE,MY SON WHOSE 62 YRS PAYS 1100 EUROS PER ANNUM FOR HIM AND HIS WIFE MINE IS FREE I WONT GO INTO THAT,THE KIDS CAN GO TO A SPANISH SCHOOL WHEREAS THEY LEARN SPANISH FROM AN EARLY AGE AND ENGLISH FROM YOURSELVES,AT HOME.THR SPANISH Are wonderful people  very friendly and helpful,GOOD LUCK EDDIE

linedancer wrote:

HI THERE WELL AS TO ADVICE FOR CHILDREN ,NOT MUCH HELP BECAUSE WE CAME HERE AT A LATER AGE AND HAD NONE WITH US, BUT YOU WILL FIND THAT THE LIFE IS BETTER QUIETER AND LESS COSTLY,REGARDING HEALTH UNLESS YOUR AN e,u,CITIZEN  YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE PRIVATE INSURANCE,MY SON WHOSE 62 YRS PAYS 1100 EUROS PER ANNUM FOR HIM AND HIS WIFE MINE IS FREE I WONT GO INTO THAT,THE KIDS CAN GO TO A SPANISH SCHOOL WHEREAS THEY LEARN SPANISH FROM AN EARLY AGE AND ENGLISH FROM YOURSELVES,AT HOME.THR SPANISH Are wonderful people  very friendly and helpful,GOOD LUCK EDDIE

Could you please lower your caps lock when posting. In 'netiquette' it is considered rude and the same as shouting at someone.
Thank you.

sorry but have cataracsi in the eyes  83 yrs old awaiting operation .will try wiith small print in future

You really need to contact your nearest Spanish embassy to see if your "income handles" will qualify you for a non lucrative visa or not, it's really the only way a non EU citizen has of residing in Spain.

I have and waiting for a reply...thank you agian

Hi,  how exciting for you!   We moved to Spain in August of 2012, with our two kids.  We provide loads of information on planning the move, getting the resident visa, travel, education, medical insurance and more.  Feel free to browse our site and from the home page click on the "move to Spain" image.  That should give you plenty of reading.  :-)  Heidi / Wagoners Abroad

Thank you for your response. I actually found your blog and messaged you a few days ago. I will look over the site more. Can we email you with questions?

Thanks again

Stephen, Marie, Ava and Emma

Yes, we have a contact us on the site, which I think you already found.  We don't mind a simple question here and there, but we do offer consulting as well as skype sessions for a fee.  So much info may be found via out "move to Spain" link from the home page, so begin there.  If interested in consulting we have that under the "work with us" in the top menu.   Of course you may email as well. :-)

Hi!

With internet access, you have all the information you could possibly hope to find.  Go to bing.com and type in "Spain" and other variations.  The depth of information available will keep you busy for weeks.  The main thing to keep an eye on is whether the site is current or more than 5 years old.  Generally, information about regulations and rules change that often, but general information about history, culture, habits, food of a region is pretty static.

Take your time and dive deep into the information.  There are no limits to the range of ideas and suggestions out there . . . it's all up to you what interests you most or makes more sense to you.

Best of luck to you!

Michele