First impressions of puerto rico

Awesome.  Welcome aboard Coastie743.

I think a lot of it is common sense and true anywhere.  If you are friendly and show some humility, people are nice.  If you exude a sense of superiority, not so much.

David

I prefer to shop at Edwards because (1) the staff is friendly and they remember you, (2) it has a nice atmosphere (versus Econo which, in their new digs, is more like an American supermarket but without as many selections - Econo has not improved the quality or number of selections they just have more of the same in a more impersonal venue), (3) they are responsive to requests for items not sold in the store, (4) there are items not sold at Econo, (5) once a year, in the winter, they have party in front of the store with free food, beer, and wine, and there is music.

Hi David-
  Couldn't agree more with your assessment on driving in PR. You can find some very good organic dark chocolate at a Freshmart. I have purchased the Green and Blacks brand there, I got the 70% but they also have 85%. I believe there is one in Aquadilla. Just google Freshmart PR and you will see all of the locations that they have here. Freshmart is like a tiny Whole Foods. Just fyi, if you order an entire box of the chocolate in store or over the phone they will give you a 10% discount.

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I just discovered FreshMart a couple of days ago.  The one in Aguadilla is very small.  I didn't see the Green and Blacks 85% there, but they did have a Dagoba 87%.  I'll let my wife know about the whole box discount.  85% is too dark for me.  I'm ok with some Dove dark chocolate covered almonds which we can get pretty much anywhere... :)

David

Yes the Freshmart is Aguadilla is small...if you ever get to San Juan the Freshmart's are somewhat larger. There is one close to Plaza las America's which is nice...it also has a restaurant with great Vegan / Vegetarian food.

Davidtx and other Dark Chocolate lovers,  I think you were talking about dark chocolate. I just tried some from GHIRARDELLI - Intense Dark - Midnight Reverie. It is 86% Cacao. Tastes good but a little biter. You may want to see if you can find it in PR.

Hey guys while we on the subject of food I've been to all the local supermarket and Wal- Mart where can you find a deli counter? You know I want a pound of Boars Head Ham or Turkey like that !!!! All I see is already packaged sliced meats like Salami!!!!

The local little colmados (like NY marketas all communities have several of these}, they sometimes carry some cold cuts like mortadella, hard salami and others. They usually make sandwiches. Outside of that I do not know, have not lived there in many years.
Also look for places that sell meats. Some are combination stores, bread, meats, and other stuff. Also ask the bakeries / Panaderias  they will know or carry the cold cuts, some of them have a DELI sign.
Try your sandwich with either "Pan Sobao" or "Pan de Manteca", very delicious.

Thanks Rey will do!!!

Johnnyhulk wrote:

Hey guys while we on the subject of food I've been to all the local supermarket and Wal- Mart where can you find a deli counter? You know I want a pound of Boars Head Ham or Turkey like that !!!! All I see is already packaged sliced meats like Salami!!!!

Johnnyhulk, I feel your pain.  Perhaps it's a NY thing.  I've been at Palmas del Mar for a week and a half, and finding cold cuts has been a mission.  The little local panaderia/deli was kind enough to slice me a pound of not very good ham and some swiss cheese.  By the confusion the woman had with finding a price, it was apparently something they don't often do.  At the Humacao Walmart hot food counter I saw a display with cold cuts and what appeared to be stickers with "per pound" prices, but it's always been so crowded that I can't get close enough to read it.

Idk where you are located but there is a deli in Dorado that sells Boars head deli meats as well as some htf items like Sriracha and garlic chili paste. It's in the strip mall right next to Walgreens. Can't remember the name though.

Haha!! Yes I guess it is a New York thing !! Love the local food here in Luquillo but wouldn't mind a crusty Italian bread with some Boars Head cold cuts !!! Hehe!!! There is a deli called Sals in Astoria Queens that has a sandwich called the Italian Bomb !!!! You can only eat half and barely get your hands around it !!! Oh well will keep looking let you know if I find anything!! Thought I try wal mart in Fajardo but no luck there neither!!!!

Karenqc wrote:

Idk where you are located but there is a deli in Dorado that sells Boars head deli meats as well as some htf items like Sriracha and garlic chili paste. It's in the strip mall right next to Walgreens. Can't remember the name though.

The Deli is called "La Hacienda" http://lahaciendafoods.com/ they have four stores in the San Juan Metro and one in Dorado.

Thx Dora787, good to know they have other locations. Cheers.

I'm in Luquillo but that's not to far to drive thanks !!!!

Thank you for this delightful information.  A question: I am not familiar with all of the San Juan neighborhoods.  Which one of their locations would you recommend for an out-of-town person like myself?

Hato Rey location is very nice you stop by the Las Plaza America Mall and Cheesecake Factory that's nearby