Driving in Morocco

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Morocco? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Morocco?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Morocco: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

I have been driving a scooter around Casablanca for a year now, and I have to say, there are A LOT of absolutely shocking drivers who just should never have been allowed behind a wheel.

I find it ridiculous that basic road rules like how to use a roundabout for example, the laws are not at all enforced by road traffic police or any other authority. Its like a game of tetris; how many vehicles can you squeeze onto a totally jammed up roundabout. Its completely backwards and a lose-lose situation for everybody. This is just ONE example of how it is to drive here.

In the last year i have been extremely fortunate to just have one minor accident. A van reversed at a crossroad right into my bike without taking a second to think about who else might be using the roads around him.
He never did pay me for the damage. Tip to everyone who is brave enough to drive here: if you ever have an accident and you want the other party to pay up- call the police at the time of the accident. Thats the ONLY way you will get a penny off them.

I would only say that it is half way safe to get on a scooter in Big cities in Morocco if you are an experienced confident driver. Those busy, unpredictable roads are no place for a beginner. And always carry your health insurance details- just in case!

I've been driving in Morocco for 2 years and 1 month, and at first I was quite intimidated at the prospect of driving in Morocco where I don't speak the language (where I live few people speak French), and where the terrain is not flat like back home. However, the first time I drove around Tangiers alone, I  surprised myself and even got though the big roundabout without incident.  (By the way, that roundabout is no longer there.)
Over the past 2 years I've become accustomed to the drivers, and I don't have a problem driving in Rabat, Tangiers, Fes, or where I live.  GPS was terrible 2 years ago, but it's improved significantly over the recent months, so if my location can be found on the map, which many times it can't be, I will usually find my way. 
My gripe with drivers in Morocco are with the grand taxi drivers.  The majority of whom do not respect road rules, and drive much to aggressively.  I'm more of an aggressive driver than a passive one, but I am CONSIDERSTE of other drivers and I try not to create a dangerous situation for other drivers sharing the road with me.  I don't always find this the case with grand taxis or with expensive cars with the "1" plates. 
Having said all this, I will say that my biggest problem with driving is not the other drivers, but with the pedestrians.  It drives me crazy to be driving at night and a dark clothed person decides to walk ON the autoroute lane where I drive instead of walking on the shoulder.  I also hate when pedestrians decide to walk out in front of moving cars on the highway at night wearing dark clothes.
I must say that I have been very fortunate to not have been in any accidents here, but I have seen at least 4 road fatalities in the last couple of months (saw one this week actually), and I rarely saw any when driving on I-95 in South Florida on my daily commute.

Hello,
Living in the uk,with a second home in Morocco for the past 10 years, I have spent a lot of time driving around this wonderful country.
Every worldwide city is the same,manic,but when you escape the "madness of Marrakech" the roads are very good,both a roads and autoroutes,however I love the scenic country/costal roads,from Essaouira to Agadir is magnificent.
Small towns on market day can be a challenge,but everybody is friendly,and accommodating,but watch out for the police,usually stationed at the entrance to most towns.
Northern Morocco obviousy is the busiest,but but beyond Agadir,most roads are a dream,then you hit the rural roads,drive carefully,its fun,and enjoy.
The locals/grande taxis/buses know the roads well,and drive fast and furious,with expertise,so....as a visitor,drive carefully,respect the sheep.camels,donkeys,people appearing from nowhere?
Above all,remember to drive on the correct side of the road,and yes,there are accidents,3 in 4 days in my small Welsh town (UK) all were tourists.................................................

if you are from America, UK, UAE, Japan and any other established country where the law is strict you are Good to drive and ride in Morocco. i am writing here for the people from Pakistan and India who wants to live in Morocco, friends be careful its not like your country where you break the law and do the Settlement in 20 to 50 rupees with cop here cop will drag you to the jail and you will definitely pay the penalty of breaking the law. so when its written "قف" means stop please stop even its late at night and nobody on the road. ;)

Most of the moroccans tend to think they are the best drivers worldwide but in reality they are the worse drivers , thats why some of them when they move to europe or elsewhere they fail many times to get a drivers licence , this is because the are the enemy of respecting the rules ... they tend to speed pass the red light when the cops are not around , they do not use signals when turning and people crossing without notice , kids playing on the road , even dogs and animals tend to imitate humans here ,,,no space for bikes or motorbikes ,,, it is crashing rollete lol ........ etc,,,,,,,. so my advice if you have an alternative that is safer than driving your self please do , because even though u know how to drive somebody else will come and crash you .....

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : Edited > please avoid generalize. Thank you