Excellent experience in HCMC Hospital last night: emergency situation

My 19 year old daughter is on vacation from Canada and became quite ill yesterday with a severe infection that required urgent diagnosis and treatment.....she was running a high fever of 39.5c with diarrhoea, nausea and all sorts of body pains plus her tonsils were inflamed and white.

Went to "Columbia Asia Gia Dinh International Hospital".  There are 2 of them in HCMC, the second one named "Columbia Asia Saigon International Clinic".  The hospital receptionist spoke fluent English, the triage nurse spoke good English and the female Doctor spoke very good English. The hospital is spotless clean with all mod cons and we were finished in 1 hour. The total cost was about USD 75 including triage, doctor, blood tests and medications which is incredible. As a parent I felt very comfortable here and would highly recommend it. She is sleeping it off now and feeling much better.

Regards.

Thanks for the info.

Ottvantor wrote:

My 19 year old daughter is on vacation from Canada and became quite ill yesterday with a severe infection that required urgent diagnosis and treatment.....she was running a high fever of 39.5c with diarrhoea, nausea and all sorts of body pains plus her tonsils were inflamed and white.

Went to "Columbia Asia Gia Dinh International Hospital".  There are 2 of them in HCMC, the second one named "Columbia Asia Saigon International Clinic".  The hospital receptionist spoke fluent English, the triage nurse spoke good English and the female Doctor spoke very good English. The hospital is spotless clean with all mod cons and we were finished in 1 hour. The total cost was about USD 75 including triage, doctor, blood tests and medications which is incredible. As a parent I felt very comfortable here and would highly recommend it. She is sleeping it off now and feeling much better.

Regards.

Good news and thanks for the information.

To assist others could you please recommend the hospitals in the directory section of the forum at the top of this page.
Thank you.

http://www.upsieutoc.com/images/2015/07/24/columbiahostpital.jpg
Is this that hospital ? I've found information over Google.

Columbia Asia Gia Dinh International Hospital
Address: 22 Tháng 12, Thuan Giao, Thuan An, Binh Duong, Vietnam
Tel:+84 650 3819 933

Thanks for your information. I will add this hospital into the list for my later referral.

zanchun wrote:

[img align=C]http://www.upsieutoc.com/images/2015/07/24/columbiahostpital.jpg[/url]
Is this that hospital ? I've found information over Google.

Address: 22 Tháng 12, Thuan Giao, Thuan An, Binh Duong, Vietnam
Tel:+84 650 3819 933

Thanks for your information. I will add this hospital into the list for my later referral.

Hi there....no that's not the one.....There are 2 in HCMC, the one I was at is as follows:

1 No Trang Long, Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City
Phone: +84 8 3803 0677

Cheers.

stumpy wrote:
Ottvantor wrote:

Regards.

Good news and thanks for the information.

To assist others could you please recommend the hospitals in the directory section of the forum at the top of this page.
Thank you.

Have added to the directory above as recommended.

@Ottvantor
Thanks for the recommendation........... :top:

Its comforting to know that you found a good hospital in an emergency situation in HCMC, - I have found that throughout Asia the Columbia Asia hospitals seem to be among the best equipped and staffed hospitals. The fact that their services are so inexpensive has mad them my choice no matter what country.

Interesting,many expats wont go near the place. As long as the service was good, but its not cheap.

colinoscapee wrote:

Interesting,many expats wont go near the place. As long as the service was good, but its not cheap.

Cheap compared to what? Ottvantor paid $75 for first class treatment of a seriously ailing daughter in Saigon in a modern, well equipped and staffed medical facility and the $75 he paid is nothing compared to his daughters health and comfort.

I had a life threatening illness in Kuala Lumpur which required a nine day hospital stay in a private room in a Columbia Asia hospital with round the clock nursing in the ICU ward and it cost me about $800 which is about 5% of the cost in a US hospital so I consider that cheap. The fact that the food was western and very good was just a bounus.

My son contracted severe food poisoning so bad that by the time we got him to the nearby Columbia Asia hospital he was unconscious but they had him fixed up within 24 hours and I gladly paid the $90 cost.which I considered cheap.

IMO finding a hospital with world class facilities but offering third world prices is a great value.

When your life is on the line good is much more important than cheap.

My wife just gave birth at a Vietnamese hospital last month for $9 million dongs while most Vietnamese paid about $3 million dongs.

That would be considered expensive to Vietnamese locals but cheap to a Canadian like myself. We got a rare private 1 bed room with all amenities and a doctor we specifically requested.

Well Columbia must have dropped their prices, as it has been discussed many times how they were over priced. You stayed for 9 days in ICU for 800 usd, that is dirt cheap. I stayed at one of the better VN hospitals for 7 days and it was 2000usd, so not sure how long ago you paid 800 usd.

It was last year colinosecapee - do you actually think I  would try to scam the forum by quoting 10 year old prices? Even school kids these days understand inflation.

Old Saigon Hand wrote:

It was last year colinosecapee - do you actually think I  would try to scam the forum by quoting 10 year old prices? Even school kids these days understand inflation.

Mate, why dont you jump on the Malaysia branch.Just noticed youre an American,enough said.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : message edited - no insults please

I guess I should just consider the source and ignore you but the fact that I lived and worked in Saigon for nine years during the war years and have resided in Asia for 49 years gives me some perspective that might be valuable to newcomers like yourself.

Yes I am an American expat and proud of it.

Your prejudices are showing and your language is giving you away.

colinoscapee wrote:

can you share any more details on your comments ? why...bad experiences or is it just price or other ?

I had a great experience with 1) quality of care 2) language capability 3) time to diagnose and treat and 4) cost.
My daughter is now back to strength and can continue her vacation.

cheers.

Before anymore posts become personal and off topic please get back on topic before admin step in and close this thread.
Thank you all.