Why do I need an iqama?

Hello everyone,

My name is Kierstien (female from USA) and I am looking to come to KSA to teach English.  Some of the employers I have been contacted by want me to come to KSA on a visa that would not allow me to have an iqama.  Is this legal?  Do I need to have an iqama?  What are the other options and what are the pros/cons either way?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Your iqama in ksa is close to ur social security number back home, you can't do anything here without the iqama, u need it for ur driving license ( this is something u won't need here coz u not allowed to get one )
U need it to open bank account, rent a house, for almost everything.
I doubt you can get a visa to ksa unless you are invited or sponsored.
Let me ask some friends and get back to you asap, which city r u planning to go to.

Most of the teaching positions I have been offered are in Riyadh.  They say they are able to get me a sim card and my accommodations are provided so I won't need that and they can help me transfer money home but it all still seems a little odd that they don't think I need one.

But all which u mentions above r illigal n if ur coming on business visit visa then it wil not be extend more than 6 months.

By the way who r offering u these kind of illigal offers thy can stuck n u also u can face lot of problems here.

Hi!

The only explanation of this situation that you would provide a visit visa for a period of time, but if they told you that you will provide a work visa, that's mean there is a problem.

Any resident in Saudi Arabia enter the country with a work visa MUST have iqama, this is the labor offices' regulation.

No matter they provide you free accommodation, help you transfer money, offer you sim card for communication, here we are talking about some thing so odd.

I strongly advise you to revise your job offer and  work contract, go back to the employer and ask them what kind of visa you will be provided ? and ask them this question " how can I request  Exit-reentry visa" in the future without having iqama number ?

Let me know the updates

Best Regards,

Ahmed

An Iqama as I understand it is a form identity card for foreign nationals living and working in Saudi Arabia. You arrive on a 90 day visa which is then converted (before visa expires) by your employer to an Iqama. The Iqama holds all your relevant details eg nationality, employment, employer/ sponsor etc. It allows you to legally reside in SA. As mentioned without it you would be unable to open bank accounts etc even if your employer provides all your amenities and handles your money remuneration to USA, you will still need it. Those without Iqama have to do regular visa runs ie cross border out of SA and re-enter to get new visa stamped in their passport. Hopefully the more experienced forum members will comment further.

Be careful before signing the job offer with the employer trying to tell you that there is no need of iqama. Would they care about other laws and regulations within the workplace?

Iqama = residency permit.
The reason why the employer avoids issuing you an Iqama is that they want to preserve the Saudi workers percentage against foreigners for the advantages granted by government, and maybe to avoid some obligations set by MOI toward you like EOS and vacation.
I guess they want to bring you on commercial visit visa which is granted typically for short business visits with little rights compared to residents.
So I recommend that you pay careful attention to contract conditions.

Well i have so many friends working like this on a Visit Visa, it used to be safer before as there was no raids or checking by labor office regularly.
But now a days Labor Ministry have intensified their raids (for Labor Law irregularities) in every area. you are safe unless and until you didn't get caught ( while working) in a raid by labor office on your working palace during working hours.

Hi, 

As a American legal consultant in KSA، my advice to you is to sign one year contract with condition of issuing you an Igamma (Residency Card) upon arrival to KSA, other than that you are taking a risk.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

teacherlady_kp wrote:

Hello everyone,

My name is Kierstien (female from USA) and I am looking to come to KSA to teach English.  Some of the employers I have been contacted by want me to come to KSA on a visa that would not allow me to have an iqama.  Is this legal?  Do I need to have an iqama?  What are the other options and what are the pros/cons either way?

Thanks for any help you can give!

There is only one way to work in the Saudi Arabia, and that is on a work visa (Iqama) which clearly shows your profession and the name of your sponsor (must be same person you work for), who will process it from KSA and send to you, and the Saudi embassy in US will complete the process there (medical, verify transcripts etc) and then stamp your passport with a WORK VISA (Iqama), upon your arrival to KSA, they will process your Iqama.

This is the only legal way to work in KSA.

The other Visa which many people keep offering is just a business visit visa, and its illegal to work on that visa, and involves jailtime, fines and deportation.

Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

No, it is not true that you will be jailed if you work on a business visa? What nonsense is that? There is plenty of those that work on business visas and  with that type of visa you can work without any problem as long as they exit and enter the country on the allotted times. Business visas ( multi exit-entry) can last up to 5 years and are common here.

rareshine wrote:

No, it is not true that you will be jailed if you work on a business visa? What nonsense is that? There is plenty of those that work on business visas and  with that type of visa you can work without any problem as long as they exit and enter the country on the allotted times. Business visas ( multi exit-entry) can last up to 5 years and are common here.

The immigration law in KSA says that a person may only work on a work visa, aka Iqama, and also anyone found working otherwise may be jailed and/or fined and deported, I think there might be a ban on return too. Even if a person working on a valid work visa, but found to be working in a different place / profession / sponsor, than mentioned in his Iqama, may also be subject to the above penalties. Yes these were common practice before, but recently the immigration authorities have started implementing these laws strictly (In the past two years over 1m people deported, many for the reasons I mentioned).

I recently met a taxi driver who told me that he faced problems as his sponsor was X and the taxi he was driving was under the name of X's daughter, same last name and all, still he had to get it corrected, or faced penalties and impounding of vehicle.

Its like saying 'hey everyone works in the USA on tourist visas', yes they do, but its ILLEGAL.

So my duty is to give the best advice possible, eventually its upto the person to choose.

But your advice is not sound, you're confusing 2 different issues. Working under a "wrong" sponsor ILLEGALLY and working LEGALLY under a legal sponsor on a business visa. the latter is legal, and bears no  consequences.

rareshine wrote:

But your advice is not sound, you're confusing 2 different issues. Working under a "wrong" sponsor ILLEGALLY and working LEGALLY under a legal sponsor on a business visa. the latter is legal, and bears no  consequences.

Do you know what a 'business visa' is?

It surely doesnt mean that one who has it can do business.

Business visa is for a company in KSA to invite an employee of another company overseas to visit KSA.

Would you like me to list the various purposes a business visa is useful for...none of them involve LEGALLY WORKING

'Business visa' is only from one business to another. It cant be sent to an individual.

In short, its illegal to work on a business visa.

Anyway, the terms are clearly outlined for the one that wishes to see them on the embassy website. In book and in practice there seems to be a disconnect