Hobbies and gear

hi guys and ladies.

I might be moving to tripoli for a year contract at the end of october and i heard there isn't much going on there! I'd like to keep sane and meet people on my time off work(which may not be that much).

What gear should i bring with and what should i rather leave behind:

Surfboard; Are there waves? Can i go for a surf as a lady? Do i need a wetsuit?
Sewing machine; are there nice-ish well stocked fabric stores?
Mountainbike; does anyone do this?
Snorkeling mask; i think ill bring this anyway, it doesnt take up space and weight.
Badminton racquet; any place to do this?

Thanks for your help.
Ella

I know 1 guy who surfs alot, you might need a wetsuit in winter, but nothing more than a 3mm.
There's some superb MTBing. When you get here I can put you in touch with a group that go out every weekend.
If you're into road biking, I go out on Fridays, some excellent roads with some challenging climbs.
It's only doing stupid outdoors stuff that keeps me sane here too.

Mudman, you seem to be an expert after reading some of the comments here, i just arrived here in tripoli, been reading all the comments about pros and cons, can you tell me about life here, if it exists? Any Rugby teams, sports? outdorr activities you say? Thanks man

moek955 wrote:

Mudman, you seem to be an expert after reading some of the comments here, i just arrived here in tripoli, been reading all the comments about pros and cons, can you tell me about life here, if it exists? Any Rugby teams, sports? outdorr activities you say? Thanks man

There's rugby, football, darts, horseriding, tennis, squash, basketball, several gyms, swimming, scuba diving, mountain biking, running, road cycling. There's the Libyan Challenge if you're into long distance running, there's the Hash if you're into social running.
People surf, windsurf and kite surf. I know of one idiot who has been swimming in the reservoir at Cobra Dam (and might go again next week, as it seems to have some water in it).

I suggest you do a SEARCH for any of these activities to find out the who, where & when.

:)

Some clubs in Tripoli

Gyms & Sport in Tripoli

Running in Tripoli - possibly

ella.za wrote:

hi guys and ladies.

I might be moving to tripoli for a year contract at the end of october and i heard there isn't much going on there! I'd like to keep sane and meet people on my time off work(which may not be that much).

What gear should i bring with and what should i rather leave behind:

Surfboard; Are there waves? Can i go for a surf as a lady? Do i need a wetsuit? Bring along, you can get waves.
Sewing machine; are there nice-ish well stocked fabric stores? Alot over here my wife is always hoping out.
Mountainbike; does anyone do this? Yes
Snorkeling mask; i think ill bring this anyway, it doesnt take up space and weight.
Badminton racquet; any place to do this? Yes

Thanks for your help.
Ella

thanks alot mudman..

thanks guys, i think to start im only taking my mountainbike, hopefully i can ship the others down if i really get bored.