US citizen -> Belgian cohabitation visa

Hello,

I am a US citizen and my boyfriend is a Belgian national. We have been dating for more than three years now and have seen and visited each other at least twice a year for a total of 145 days. I am currently in the process of acquiring the legal documents needed for the visa application.

However, my main concern is where to lodge my application. My boyfriend contacted his local commune and they told him that I should apply at the embassy in US. I contacted the embassy in Atlanta (the state I'm living at is under their jurisdiction) and told them what the commune told my boyfriend, and they said I can apply in Belgium since I am allowed to stay there for 90 days. I am not happy with their answer therefore I called the Embassy in Washington DC. They said I should apply in Atlanta and I can mail in the application and they wont answer further questions since I'm under Atlanta's jurisdiction. Therefore, I contacted Atlanta one last time and asked if I can mail an application. But once they found out it's for cohabitation visa, they insisted that I apply in Belgium. My boyfriend really wants me to apply in US and I think I should too but the embassies are making us go around in circles! I am getting discouraged that the embassies were so nice until they find out that it's for an application for cohabitation visa.

Can you please give us advice on how to tackle this? And how to mail applications or if I should just apply in person in Atlanta? Or any advice in general. Please and thank you.

Well if I where you I will take written mail with me just in case and apply once in Belgium if a problem was to arise then you have written responses from them .
But you will be fine, if you have real proofs that you have been together for that long then you shouldn't have a problem .

Good luck ...  And I know people's in this forum hardly help