Looking for an old Vietnamese traditional sausage recipe

There is in Vietnam a traditional sausage recipe. Like in France the Merguez, in Australia the Saveloy, in Mexico the Chorizo, in Germany the Bratwurst, etc. This sausage in not too well known or popular because Vietnamese are not big sausage maker. But it does exist, and is popular in some parts of Vietnam. Those who told me about it, however, have no idea of the recipe, what or how it is made. It is with pork, but for the rest...?

Some among you are married to a Vietnamese. It could be that with a little research we come to find this recipe. I would be very happy, because I want to produce it on a small scale.

Thanks for any help in finding this hard to find recipe.
PS: Google was of no help so far.

Hi Alergre Viajero,

The first thing comes to my mind is Lap-xuong sausage, which is very well known. But this is a Chinese style one. So I suppose that you mention another one. But unfortunately, there are several kinds of Viet traditional sausages made with pork. I cites here some (with their English name)
- chả lụa - Vietnamese steamed pork sausage (so classic and ubiquitous in Viet cuisine)
- chả quế - Vietnamese cinnamon pork sausage (a variation of 'chả lụa' while the pork is roasted with cinnamon)
- nem chua - Vietnamese fermented pork roll (typical in Central and Southern regions)
- tré - minced pork wrapped in guava and banana leaves (a Central speciality)
- dồi heo - pork sausage using the natural casing derived from the pork intestinal tract, while the Northern prefer a stuffing with fresh uncoagulated blood and boiled the sausage (dồi huyết - blood sausage), the Southern sausage is usually stuffed with ground pork then fried (dồi chiên- deep-fried pork sausage)
The list is fairly long but not exhaustive (and really waters my mouth !!!)

Hope it is helpful for you somehow.

Regards,

Thank you so much HD,

I think I'm getting somewhere with these info. I will double check with a friend.

Hey old friend!

How's the sausage business?

Need help?  :cool:

Hi HD,

Among other things, you wrote:

- dồi heo - pork sausage using the natural casing derived from the pork intestinal tract, while the Northern prefer a stuffing with fresh uncoagulated blood and boiled the sausage (dồi huyết - blood sausage), the Southern sausage is usually stuffed with ground pork then fried (dồi chiên- deep-fried pork sausage)

I do remember now that I was told there was many parts of the pork used, like meat parts, liver, and some blood. All this was stuffed into a fresh, clean natural casing. This fresh sausage was then fried.

It looks like what you wrote is what I'm looking for. If you had a bit more details about the recipes (other ingredients, spices and herbs), it would be great.

Thanks a lot!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hu+t … B500%3B313     ANDhttp://www.vietfoodrecipes.com/vietnamesefood/vietnameserecipes/how-to-make-vietnamese-pork-sausage-ch%E1%BA%A3-l%E1%BB%A5a you sausage sir,   the pounding/ chopping will kill most, buy some instead

Thanks so much for the advice, MarkinNam, but I will rather follow the advise of this 1st site:

« Instead of having to buy sausage not ensure quality in the market, you can manually processing this dish at home, both delicious and ensure hygiene. »

And this other one:

« Sausage can easily be purchased in Asian markets, but if you feel uneasy because of the fear of chemicals have been marinated in sausage may cause harm to health may be made ​​at home. »

And for all the others who gave me some information, thanks. From what I was given, I ended-up on a website base in Toronto, and many more: http://tudiemcorner.blogspot.ca/2012/08/doi-tuoi.html

I found more than I need. I now have to put all this together and make that Vietnamese Sausage. I do this by passion.

Thanks all!

Hi Alegre Viajero,

Good to know that you finally found what you are looking for.

And hats off to you for managing to decipher the Vietnamese pages !!!

I totally agree with you on homemade dishes.

Wish you all the best with your DIY 'dồi'

Cheers,