Where in Germany

I have recently returned from a trip to Dusseldorf.  Can anyone suggest a quick guide or link to reasonable price places to live. I hear that Berlin is cheaper than DD, however I have only visited West Berlin. What's it like in the East?  I am hoping to start German conversation course but have limited knowledge of the language.  I love parks, theatre and "artistic" areas (arty people, hippy places) .  I am gay but the scene is not hugely important. Any suggestions to start with so i can investigate further. Thanks!

Hi mikeysussex! Welcome on Expat-blog! :) I hope other members will be able to advice you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Are you only looking for a place in DD and Berlin? Or are you considering other cities/regions as well?

These are the two places I know. Munich (I am told) is most expensive, so would not want the higher costs. I am very flexible and although like the "alternative" scene - would also like somewhere green, quiet and safe but with theatre and the arts available.

I'm going through a similar quest trying to find a hip, artsy area in Munich, that's not crazy expensive...which, unfortunately, is not that easy.

I did a little research and found a cool website: Patroc Gay Travel Guide Europe 2010.

It has information on some hip gay-friendly districts and events in a few German cities: Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Dresden and Leipzig.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi Ami
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.  Good luck in your search - i will check out the website you mentioned. Mike