Safety and security...

So I understand compound doesn't just exist to preserve western lifestyle but also for security reason as it is obvious with such high walls with barbed wire on top.  I'm assuming that if security was concern enough to warrant compound structures in the 80's... how's the situation now?  I mean with ISIS and recent altercation with Yemen, things are escalated a bit at the least.  And I hear Shiites are making trouble in Eastern parts which includes Al Khobar.  As I am waiting for employer response in Khobar, I'm a bit concerned about the security situation as I need to evaluate whether to take the family along or just go by myself.  The posts from few years ago seem to indicate things are quite peaceful.  Then I see some blogs which talk about escalation of shooting starting 2012.  I'd appreciate any input on current mood over there.  Thank you ahead for the replies.

Things here (SW) don't feel tense at the moment, however I have noticed a general increase in overall security procedures (which I always welcome).

If I were you, I'd simply plan to arrive alone (as most do) and spend your first three months getting used to the place.  Take special note of any security precautions that you feel could be intensified and act on them appropriately.  That is, speak with your company and/or compound safety officer and see if anything gets done.  Meanwhile, consider how your family will adapt to and feel or not feel comfortable with....

As you know, no one can predict the future.  Things aren't too bad here, security-wise at the moment, tho I can't speak directly for the Eastern province, I do know (2nd hand) that it's business as usual in Khobar. 

best of luck

Thank you for the reply.  I always thought of Saudi as a very peaceful nation.  But then the recent job interest made me do some research and I'm uncovering some disturbing past issues that didn't see the light of day here in the states. 

Turns at that the very hospital I am going to have interview with had a doctor with my specialty have his hand and eye blown up by mail bomb.  He only survived because he had his head turned to computer monitor which made shrapnel miss his jugular and blow one of his eyes instead.  There were other who didn't survive similar attack.

And there seems to have been several other incidents as well.  I guess there's been heavy media black out or cover up as they tried to blame it on the underground alcohol trafficking rather than the terrorism for obvious reasons. 

I've also come across the bombing and shooting of Oasis Compound in Khobar as well.  There seems to be sporadic cases like these ever few years.  Hmmm..

Yes, Al Khobar has had its share of incidences of the years, no doubt about it.

Well,...only you can make the call in the end, doctor.

I wonder if it might be prudent (or on the other hand less than realistic) to compare the number of expats living in the KSA over the years vs the numbers of deaths due to terrorist activities.  The overall stat - %age might give you some comfort.  The odds are pretty small. 

On the other hand, living here is just not for everyone and if your hospital requires a probationary period of 3 months for you before applying for your family visas,...well - that could be just what the doctor ordered.  ;)

Very safe and sound