Lots of Questions! EU non EU Spouse

Me- US
Husband- UK
Kids- US

My husband and I are living in the US and considering moving to Malta in September.  I have several questions.  I'm not sure if it would be better for us to to file for residency or use the self sufficiency option.

1. Does he have to work in Malta? He's a contractor and would work away for several months at a time.  If he does this,  would I be allowed to work in Malta?  I'm guessing that if his pay was deposited into a Maltese bank account,  we should have no issues.

2. Does anyone know how to prove income for self sufficiency?  I would still have regular income in the US from rental properties. 

3. If we are self sufficient,  are the kids allowed to attend school?  University?

4. One of my daughters will turn 18 soon after we arrive.  Will she be able to keep residency,  and for how long once she is no longer considered a dependent?

The fact that you are married to an EU citizen should help overcome many possible obstructions to your plans.

1. Self sufficiency is one of the groups for application for eResidency. See this: http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Infor … dence.aspx

2. Regarding the question about work. The question is difficult to understand. He doesn't HAVE to work on Malta. Your work on Malta would depend upon employment situation and regulations; Ricky is the man for that.

3. Proof of income? Bank account statements should suffice.

4. If Resident then attendance at any institute of learning is possible, no problems.

5. Daughter should apply for Residency on her own at age 18.

Now, let me ask, why Malta?
Have you any experience of Malta?
Have a VERY good read of all the relevant subjects.
Ricky is far better qualified than I to answer your questions in any detail.

Hi Jasmine,

your UK husband has to register as resident under one of the available options. He does not have to work in Malta but he will have to show enough finances to support a family and all of you will need adequate health insurance in Malta and covering the EU too. Once he has registered himself as resident  your husband applies for your residency as a family member ( it can be done at the same time but technically your rights as a family member hinges on his right to free movement in the EU)

You will need to think about the tax situation. As US citizens you still have have to make a US tax return. Maltese banks might make a fuss with US citizens !

Cheers
Ricky

Why Malta? My husband can't get a greencard in the US, and we don't meet the residency and income requirements to move to UK (and don't particularly want to move to UK).  Malta is close enough to the UK to visit family and close to many job opportunities for my husband.  The only thing I'm particularly concerned about is the cold winters! 

Taxes- I will still be filing a US tax return on my income in the US, but my husband is not required to file a US tax return.  He pays tax in the UK.  He has a UK bank account,  so I don't think we will have an issue opening an account in Malta.

I was concerned about my daughter turning 18 because I think I read that residence for her could only be renewed 4 times as a non dependant and non EU citizen.  Although this is probaby not an issue, because she will likely eventually return to the US.

Work situation- the plan is for my husband to work away from Malta doing contracting jobs.  These jobs are mostly in the Middle East/Africa.   I was wondering if him working away would affect  his residency, and therefore mine.   I don't necessarily need to work in Malta,  but I would like too.

So if I understand correctly, we can show money in a UK or US bank account as proof of self sufficiency.  I think I read that the amount we needed should be something around €17,000.  This amount does not need to be deposited into a bank in Malta?

no it doesnt

Thanks for everyone's help!  Here's a pic of where we live now,  Malta will be quite a change,  but we are excited. We are planning to stay in a hotel for at least a few weeks to look for a place.   We want somewhere with some outdoor space for the kids, probably near the water. My 8 year old loves being outdoors and riding his bike,  but it looks like riding a bike there is pretty much not an option! 
  I also had some concern with the schools all being Catholic. As a non religious family,  it seems like maybe the kids wouldn't fit in?  Can anyone tell me about a typical school day?  Does it involve a lot of prayer etc.? It's looking like we will probably go with private school at least for our 8 year old,  but it seems that many of the private schools are also religious.   My other daughter will be 15 and going into 10th grade.  I'm not sure where this leaves her if school there finishes at age 16.

http://imgur.com/4hHyGXR

Hi Jasminej
Why is a bike not an option? The cycling community here is wonderful, great place to make new mates and get involved they organise events every now and then, groups go to Sicily for week-end drives, on Sundays in the winter months you can go to Cirkewwa where they all meet up. If you meant no option because of the driving in Malta? Be cool, this Maltese crazy driving thing is enormously overinflated and exaggerated. It might look bad, it might feel bad, but if you stop to see things for what they are, you'd  realise that it's quite safe too. It's just that you have to get used to the tics & tacs of driving here. A good thing would be to spend a week or two driving in Catania or another sized city in Sicily..you'll be loving driving in Malta after that. Besides the average cruising speed here is around 60km/h (40m/h). To prove what I state you can have a look at the official European statistics about car accidents and you'll notice that contrary to popular belief and what's perpetrated on this site, Malta is amongst the safest rods in Europe, hence in the World.  :idontagree: * (I do mean safest not flattest!)
As for this Catholic schools and praying stuff issue? It's not at all as you're imagining it. Malta is a fervent catholic country but not to a point of driving people crazy or imposing religion on people. (apart the excuse of religion to have a ball burning up bombs and fireworks, bands and anything else that can make some noise). At least in public schools you should have the option to opt out the 1/2 hour a week religion period. This was already the case if you were over sixteen when I was still at school many..many years ago! Actual private catholic schools I'm not so sure. And that's it. I tell you I had more religious hymn singing thing during my catholic school years back in the UK than prior and later years in Malta.
* http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safe … dex_en.htm

in my opinion  - riding a bike in Malta is suicidal.

You forget Toon, Mike44 doesn't live in Malta!

He lives in some sort of La la land  where there is no corruption, all Maltese are small cuddly people who live simple lives, driving standards are good (because not many people die!) and for children riding a bike is great fun.

I for one would love to visit (it may be called Mount Carmel?)      ;)

Terry

Id suggest praying in church before going on the roads with a bike.. maybe that works - but then that poses a problem  - getting to the church....!

seriously look around you while you are in Malta  - notice the lack of bikes!!!!

also take note of the lack of driving skills and courtesy......  even dangerously speeding round small narrow streets in their souped up blown motors irrespective of who or what is in them...... sorry but ive seen too much of it... to believe its safe on a bike.

Mikee44 was right in one respect they do what ever they want whenever they want  and that includes driving whichever way they like in their own country.. so should I respect that ?

am glad that the majority are not but there is enough who are to make it the way it is.....

You guys make it sound like everyone there is driving with half eye opened...If it's so bad  why are you living there?I keep reading things about Malta on this forum and day after day I begin to think that it's like I am going in the most dangerous prison with 400 000 killers and mad people inside of it.I just can't answer the question - why are you living there if that country is such a bad place, and by your words I understand it might be one of the worst in Europe.
I am really hoping you are too harsh on the country because I love driving and I hope I don't get myself killed the moment I sit behind the wheel.
Please tell me you are making it sound worse than it is. :):)

I have driven all over Europe and USA,  Canada etc. In my opinion Malta has the worst driving standards in Europe.

Most of the Maltese drivers have never driven in Europe and have no concept of safe driving, lane discipline  or courtesy ( Its the only place you can buy a new car without indicators.)   :lol:   

The reason there are not many fatalities is because traffic  and road surface conditions make fast driving limited to  a few new roads.

We live here because it suits us ( at the moment ) but its not our forever home.
Plus being retired and having a steady income means we don't have to bribe anyone or go through the Maltese mafia to get a well paid job!

English is one of the official languages and its in the EU.

Would I consider Malta if I was young and single?....... Absolutely  not!
The world these days is just a ( cheap) flight away.

Terry

We are now officially    :offtopic:

well in answer to your question - i am not living there now  - we have moved on to a country where my missus will actually drive the car .....she outright refused to do so in Malta....

Malta can be a lovely place to live - it is also safe for women and children to walk even late at  night - Paceville Marsa and some areas around Sliema excepted........ my missus was never ever afraid to do so at night when she worked late. But its also a place where we rarely saw children playing in the streets or parks... and even rarer on bikes.

The re not mad nor are they killers  - many are just very inconsiderate in terms of driving and common courtesy..

I, like,  Tearnet have driven in a few countries and for me there is only one place worse than Malta and thats Sicily.

If you dont want to listen then fair enough = try it for yourself - just but be very careful with both your eyes and ears open and your co passengers too...

Good luck

Have you ever driven in Bulgaria?Have you seen a car flying infront of you with 150km/h on a street that's full of people(mostly children) and where 50km/h is considered to be very high speed?If that's nothing for the maltese standards then I will agree but first come see here.I drive everyday here and I really can't believe how much retardshism is possible for one person to have.I think I am used to very, very bad driving standards and maybe that's why I can't understand you.I haven't seen anything worse than Bulgaria and I've been to many other european countries.I guess all I can do is try Malta for myself and see if you are right or wrong.
Btw, how is Cyprus for only english speaking people?