Questions about benefits of acquiring the ID Card

Hello, a close relative is planning to get a Maltese ID Card in the short future, but after researching for a bit I have found some doubts that it is worth the hassle, so I have a couple of questions; for a british pensioner, that receives part of his pension from UK and Spain, does he have to pay some kind of tax here in Malta in the case he gets the residence?

And the second question, we were thinking that if you had a Maltese Id Card you paid less in electric and water bills, but I have just read in a blog about expats that this is illegal by EU standards and if you complained, the company would back out and you would be paying the same than a Maltese citizen. Is that true?

So, besides being able to open a bank account here, and being able to draw books from a Library, what advantages there is in having a ID Card? (as he travels quite often to Spain and he can get the european health card each 6 months for covering the healthcare).

there is no id card for non-maltese citizens now
Its an e-residence card and if you planning to live here after 3 months you are obliged to apply for it .For Eu citizens it is usually granted automatically and is essentially a form filling excercise as you have the right to live and work in malta anyway.
If your recieving money into the country you will need to register with the tax office ..whether you pay tax or not depends on how much money your getting

also the EHIC card is no longer valid  once you intend to take up residency in Malta regardless of how many times you visit spain.

Tell your friend to read this: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

No you do not pay less, only if you are resident and the account is in your own name and you qualify.

Read this item 28: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425461

And re eResidence Card I would advise anyone to do this asap, particularly if looking for work and for access to health services.

"No you do not pay less, only if you are resident and the account is in your own name and you qualify"

Thats not strictly true Remik - a resident consumer tenant can get the lower utility tairffs if their landlord agrees to sign form H, and they can produce the lease and a passport.

However many wont... a) allow you to have the account in your name and b) they wont sign form H either.........both for reasons of their own tax evasion

That's what item 28 refers to Toon. (Though not in that detail, I agree.)

i will admit to saying i dont think there is much benefit to having one now as compared to a few years ago

There is a lot of confusion with the utility tariffs.  We have a pending complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman about the discrimination of the sole, state owned utility billing company against all tenants, and we are also in contact with the EU.(moderated: no free ads)
(moderated: no free ads for your blog)

Any questions please ask away.  :)

Toon wrote:

i will admit to saying i dont think there is much benefit to having one now as compared to a few years ago

I've never had to sign a Form H, I've never dealt with a professional buy-to-let landlord, and all my properties already had at least one registered resident.

You might be right though Toon, nowadays Enemalta just require a passport to sign Form H I think, along with a copy of the lease. But I'm sure in the old days you needed to provide your ID card and your Residency Permit, which were completely separate things back then. So it was virtually impossible to get cheap electricity/water for the first 2 or 3 months, until all the registration paperwork had been done.

I only remember that because many people were unhappy with the discrimination, Maltese people only needed to produce their ID Card, but foreigners were asked for their ID Card and their Residency Permit too.

They've softened up recently Enemalta. Not before bloody time too.

On An Island wrote:
Toon wrote:

I've never had to sign a Form H, I've never dealt with a professional buy-to-let landlord, and all my properties already had at least one registered resident.

You might be right though Toon, nowadays Enemalta just require a passport to sign Form H I think, along with a copy of the lease. But I'm sure in the old days you needed to provide your ID card and your Residency Permit, which were completely separate things back then. So it was virtually impossible to get cheap electricity/water for the first 2 or 3 months, until all the registration paperwork had been done.

I only remember that because many people were unhappy with the discrimination, Maltese people only needed to produce their ID Card, but foreigners were asked for their ID Card and their Residency Permit too.

They've softened up recently Enemalta. Not before bloody time too.

it s just as difficult now as the landlords can still refuse to sign form H..... however i think this will come to an end very very soon

Oh yeah, I agree. Not just that, there are probably a few landlords who promise to do the form H procedure with Enemalta, but when the ink is dry on the contract, change their mind and start delaying tactics. I would recommend that people get it included as a specific clause in the contract. As Fox Mulder used to say - Trust No One!!

At least it's only one hoop you've got to jump through now, instead of three. For sure it's a better situation than it was a few years ago.

yes it is much better but not so easy without the permission issue - and the other catch line was " the truth is out there" lol

Thanks for the many useful replies :) . So, if the bills are in your name (in a house of your property), and you have the e-residence card, you do pay less? I've seen both websites and they don't a quote a separate price for residents/non residents.

About the tax, somebody knows from what amount you start paying tax?

the bills should be in your name if you own a property  but dont have to be in your name as a tenant.

if you own then you should be sure that not only are the bills in your name that you complete the registered number of consumers form to get all occupiers (upto 8 allowed per account) named on the account.. this more allowances at lower rates plus eco discounts too.

non residential is only for garages and communal areas  etc - ie areas where nobody actually lives. Bills should only be calculated on the residential tariff with a number of consumers quoted - note that 0 (zero) consumers means a domestic tariff will be applied at significantly higher rates.

tax depends on circumstances and marital status

see here

https://ird.gov.mt/services/taxrates.aspx

also note SSC will also be chargeable on income (equivalent to Uk NI)