How does the masters by research degree work

I got a Bachelors degree in Electronics Engineering in 2005 in the USA, and have worked as an electronic technician since then. However, I want to go back for a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering so that I could be better qualified for an electronic engineering job and I am thinking of going to the University of Malta (UOM) to take this course.

The (UOM)  says that the electrical engineering program is Masters by Research, which I never heard of before. Apparently, instead of attending classes, the student would submit a dissertation topic and spend their time researching and completing their dissertation. This doesn't make much sense to me.

The reason why people attend college is to receive formal training. Sure, they could learn how to do something on their own without attending school, but it is easier to learn something when you have formal training. However, with a research course, you spend the whole time doing a dissertation. You do the dissertation by relying on your previous knowledge, doing research, and by figuring things out on your own. Basically, if I am understanding correctly, the students basically teaches themselves. However, why should a student go to college to receive formal training if they are just going to teach themselves?

If anybody has taken this course, then could they specifically explain how the programs works? I know that you are assigned a supervisor to assist you, but does the supervisor ever teach you anything new or do you have to figure everything out on your own? What are your opinions of the degree? Once you took the course, did you get an engineering job fairly easily?

I ocassionaly like to experiment with electronics myself and go onto electronic forums where I told them about this masters by research course. They all thought it was strange as well. Some said that when they went for their masters, they did research and worked on a project but they also took classes. None of them had a degree that was research only without classes or even heard of such a thing.

Some people even thought that the course could be a scam but that is impossible. SInce UOM is the only University in Malta, then that means that all the skilled professionals in Malta had to go there unless they were educated in a foreign country.Otherwise all the doctors, teachers, lawyers, engineers, and other professionals in Malta don't have a valid degree, including the Prime Minister of Malta. So if I graduate and apply for an engineering job in Malta, then they can't reject my degree, because that is the only electronic engineering Masters degree that any job applicant could get in the whole country.

Generally there are 2 types of Masters, a taught masters or research masters.  The taught masters would be similar to your degree where you attend lectures but the research masters involve learning through research and would be similar to doing your Thesis/Dissertation and this generally leads to a PhD.

When I asked these questions on those electronic forums, some people basically told me something similar about the P.H.D. Some thought that the masters by research may not be worth much by itself but is used to lead to a P.H.D. However, I don't plan on getting a P.H.D. So is this degree by itself useful or not?

The people on those electronic forums asked me what I was looking for in a degree. I basically want the degree to do two things. I want it to teach me a little more about electronics and  I want it to make it easier for me to get a good job as an electronic engineer, especially in Malta. If the research degree does that, then I am happy. The best way to find my answer is to ask former students who took that specific course. Is there any way to contact those former students like on a forum or something?

Try asking for advice here: facebook.com/groups/120416407990292/

I agree with Johnny but sent you a fuller answer by PM.

I tried to go to the Facebook site that lambada suggested and it seemed like a good idea. However, I sent a request to join last Sunday and they still haven't accepted it, so I can't ask my questions. To be honest, I am not really that experienced with Facebook so I have a few questions. Is  that Facebook page set up so that everybody could join or could only a select few people join. I ask because I am not sure if the creator of that Facebook page rejected my request or just hasn't seen it yet.

I've had that experience b4....don't think there's a way of knowing whether you were rejected or not but its unlikely that you've been rejected. Try messaging one of the 4 admins.

I didn't want my friends and family to know that I may be interested in going to the University yet, so I tried to create a fake Facebook account and use that to join the Facebook group. However, Facebook locked me out of that account and asked me to verify my information. Therefore, I had to send a friend request with my real Facebook account. If I post something there, will all of my Facebook friends see it or just the people who are part of that group?

I  created another dummy account and sent a request. I also sent a request with my real Facebook account. I also sent a personal message to the administrators (like you said) that explains why I want to join. However, they haven't let me join yet in either account. The Facebook page is marked as public so I thought that anybody could join so I am not so sure why they haven't accepted me yet.

The Facebook page is marked as public so I thought that anybody could join so I am not so sure why they haven't accepted me yet.

The 'public' classification only means that anyone can see it, not necessarily join it.
Interestingly though 4 Admins are indicated there are no details for them.