Teachers receiving money from students

A vietnamese woman I know told me that the native teacher at a language school  where some of her girlfriends study regularly meet the (male) teacher outside of class and that he recently asked them for money so he could go to Cambodia to renew his visa, I was shocked at this and asked, firstly, did he meet BOTH female and male students or,and I am sure you can guess what I am getting at, just female students. She said he meets both and usually as a group. She said he was complaining that he was 'poor' and if he could not go to cambodia to renew his visa he would not be able to teach anymore.. Apparently,the students felt sorry for him and offered to help him, later  offering him 2 million VND. He accepted the money. I said to my friend that a/ meeting the students outside of class is probably not a good idea and quite possibly a breach of contract and against good practice. As far as i am aware he is not 'dating' any of the students and b/ Talking about being poor was really quite inappropiate and would present as an effort to gain sympathy and taking the money was COMPLETELY UNETHICAL. I said that the students should report his behaviour to the school but, from what she said, they just do not get the issues at all and think it is okay. What do people on this blog think?

Not good at all and if this will find out it "may" give bad reputation to some other foreigner teacher as well or some people may think that maybe some other teachers are also doing.  I am wondering where his salary goes why he cant afford to renew his visa.. #JustSaying

Sounds to me like a whole lot of misguided judgements.
It is very common here for both expat english and vietnamese teachers to take 'extra curricular' classes outside of school hours to supplement their income.
He is meeting in a 'group' environment, so it sounds like a legitimate learning environment. Perhaps he is not currently charging for this time and was simply trying to find a way to charge them.

Not all males are sexual predators. Get down from the moral high horse before you pull a muscle.

I personally would not permit, that staff doing the same work outside their working hours and maybe using inside knowledge of the business or their utilities. That sheds a bad light on the business.

Well, I've been working as a teacher in SE Asia. In VN, people do like to interact with us. Be that sitting on a bench, reading a book, at the supermarket or attending a student's birthday. Some grandmother may stop to let her granddaughter speak some English with >a foreigner<.

A friend of a friend cannot afford a teacher, so we have been using Skype for many months and it has helped her somewhat.

Personally, I like to pull some students' legs. When I see an I-phone, I might ask to exchange it for my years old $ 15 NOKIA, thanking them  :top: And when I was bemoaning the contents of my wallet, a kind young girl slipped me a few thousand Dong. That hadn't been planned and the money was returned.

Some teenagers might invite their teacher to "play football" or something. I try to say YES and be approachable. But certainly not to take advantage of them, financially or otherwise! There would be others and we would be in a public place.

TBH, this is not good - this teacher could use his credit card, ask family or his boss for an advance. Moreover, I made 21 M and a normal adult can put some money aside for such necessities like a Visa run. // Was the money to be repaid, or was it some kind of a "gift"?  :/  It's improper and immoral - but I'm guilty of that as well (different country, had left my wallet at home and needed to pay for some photocopies and asked if anyone could lend me $ 1.30). A TA said that was improper - - - But then it wasn't in my job description to pay for photocopies which were to be handed out to the students...

It's a fact that girls are usually more interested in learning English. And even if the guy met mostly girls this won't mean he was hitting on them.

Me, I would have pledged the notebook in a dire emergency, but restricted the search for a hard money loan to adults.

Conclusion: activities outside the classroom with teenagers are not necessarily a sign or moral turpitude!

No one said that all males were sexual predators (your terminology so maybe that says something about you) sunhat! The after class is social and not teaching (unless you call just chatting teaching) and, as far as I am aware, NOT agreed by the school. Anyway, a forum is to express an opinion and share thoughts so you maybe should grow up a little. IF it is the case that a teacher is taking advantage of students many might think that is a serious issue. Or, perhaps, you think it is best just to 'say nothing ' or 'don't care it'...or is it better discuss it and share ideas? Anyway, good luck to you!

'' Native teacher at a language school''. This means he is from Vietnam or I am wrong, he needed to go to Cambodia to renew his visa?? He does not need a visa. It's just another way to gain money from students, but what worries me most is that those students bring it up for the so called visa.
Regards. Ron

Native means Native speakers meaning from US or British so he is foreigner..

To hs0sfe.

There are quite a few 'grey areas' that is why I posted. The students are in their early 20's and, from what my friend said (and she first questioned whether the teacher should be doing what he is doing and sought my advice), the teacher was complaining about being poor and did not present as 'clumsily' raising the issue of whether he should get some money from the students for sitting and informally chatting  with them. Of course, not all teachers (probably only a few) are looking to take advantage (financial, sexual or anything else) but I thought it worth seeing what people thought.I think it is obvious there is a risk of exploitation (whether teaching kids or young adults) and that is why we have to get police clearance. Anyway, good luck to ya fella

As an English teacher with a career spanning over 28 years I personally think that the behavior of this guy is not only highly unprofessional, but also unethical.

There is a vast difference between teaching private students in one's off hours (provided that they don't come by way of the school where you're employed) and outright whining about poverty and asking students to fund a border run to renew one's visa. Highly inappropriate.

This is what happens however when you get a rag-tag bunch of English speakers who get some do-nothing certificate through a course that pops out certificates like a gum ball machine and begin to think they're really "teachers". They serve only to destroy the teaching profession completely and bring it into discredit. I hold a BA (English) and a BEd (English) have taught in the Secondary School system in Canada for over 14 years and taught both in traditional schools and privately in Brazil for over 13. Teaching is a PROFESSION, and professions require Post-Secondary Degrees anything less than that you're an "instructor" or "coach", but hardly a TEACHER.

Ethics should dictate a few things:

1.  You never take a student away from a school where you are working (or have worked), my rule of thumb is that they must be out of the school for 1 year before I will take them on as a private student and I make that absolutely clear if asked.

2.  You never discuss your personal finances, visa situation, etc., with your students since that reflects upon your employer. It tends to indicate to the students that the school pays poorly and right or wrong, I think if I were the owner of the school I'd fire the teacher on the spot just for that alone.

3.  While your students should like you as a person and you should be sociable, it should aways be a clear that it is a professional student/teacher relationship. You're not there to be their best buddy or boyfriend or girlfriend as the case may be, but rather their TEACHER regardless of what you may think.

I can't understand how anyone who is serious about the teaching profession and about education could condone such behavior, since it's bringing you all into disrepute.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Mr James,

Thank for your opinion.Through reading your comment, I would have a further seeing in professional working.

I, myself or some Asian (sorry this is just some people I know) often have not clear between friend_colleague...I had a little trouble from chat via email ...I learnt from my mistake, and know I learn more on some field career.

I do know how important international language and how far it could bring you to.That is why Im learning IELTS and try to be a English teacher,to teach children who live far from the city and dont have enough convienient thing to study....

HOPEFULL he he
Anw, thank for expart_blog where everybody can share thêre own life experience.

I was told it is part of the culture here to give gifts to teachers. An expat friend with a daughter in school tells me it is expected and the children are afraid their grades will reflect a lack of gift to the teacher. But this is only on Teachers Day as far as I know.  Now when I was teaching, my students themselves being english teachers would present me with a gift or 2 and a special lunch the last week of class. I appreciated the thought. Granted these were all adults. But it still felt weird to recieve. My supervisor however told me it was a sign of respect and refusing would cause a loss of face.

Requesting a gift is wrong. Just my 500 dong opinion.

what mean native English speaker from US, UK or Australia??? I would say many Filipinos speak a more clear and clean English than others with his many different dialects as eg. Aussies with the Kangooro English we European very hardly understand  :whistle:

SwissViet wrote:

what mean native English speaker from US, UK or Australia??? I would say many Filipinos speak a more clear and clean English than others with his many different dialects as eg. Aussies with the Kangooro English we European very hardly understand  :whistle:

Well Filipinos have one negative side.. they are not WHITE.. fact is that if you got white face your more suited to teach children if you ask parents hehe.. not saying that is right but life is life.. ;)