What the best city to give birth in Brazil

hi,

I will visit Brazil this April with my wife to give birth with our first baby in sha'a Allah, the main target is to get the Brazilian Passport for my child, I have read many articles regarding this but still there are some unanswered questions..

I am in dilemma in choosing the city based on the type of birth required(which is natural birth) , giving birth cost and existing of helpful immigration consultant in the city who can speed up the process of getting the permanent visa and the child passport, since we are planning to go back home (Sudan) after two or three weeks maximum after giving birth.   
Till now I have being suggested Florianopolis where can I find my way through the natural birth and it is affordable as well although I do not any hospitals or doctors over there, another one suggested Curitiba, but in both cities I am not sure whether the process of getting the passport and getting the protocol number at least for permanent visa will be fast or not?

waiting for your kind response,

thanks in advance,,

Mohamed,,

This seems ridiculous...is this legal?

@nemair

I hope you realise that airlines will not allow pregnant women to fly when the pregnancy is advanced.   

I agree to as to the legality of what you are doing.It seems you are looking at this so you can settle in Brazil. The time factor for paperwork for Brazilian visas is very long and time consuming.  Whether you can go home after the birth and whilst any paperwork is being processed may be a problem too. 

I strongly suggest that you read through the many informative posts regarding visas which you can find in the forum categories list on the right hand side of this page. Be prepared to be surprised.

CraigF wrote:

This seems ridiculous...is this legal?

The simple answer to your question, is it legal? Yes it's quite legal and they wouldn't be the first or last couple to do exactly this. In fact, the ONLY type of permanency in Brazil that is guaranteed 100% is either through marriage to a Brazilian citizen or by having a Brazilian born child. They are rights granted under Art. 226 of the Federal Constitution which gives special protection to the family unit. Just as in the USA, the situation known as having "anchor babies" born in the USA gives their parents the right to apply for PR status, Brazil follows the same concept.

Actually, now under the new permanency process it is no longer lengthy and time consuming. Provided that all the correct paperwork is present and in proper order, permanency is granted immediately, the applicant registers in the RNE program and applies for their civil ID (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro). Since once one is granted permanency in Brazil they have the right to be outside the country for up to 2 years at any given time there is also nothing to prevent them from returning to their homeland and then coming back to Brazil to pick up their Cédula a few months later.

With regard to the airlines not allowing pregnant women to board aircraft, it happens all the time and there have even been cases of women giving birth during flights. Provided that they have the appropriate visas to enter Brazil in the first place, it's not even likely that the Policia Federal will even try to prevent their entry, even if they were to know exactly how advanced the pregnancy is. Sometimes I don't think they really even care anymore, especially now that their hands are pretty much tied by the Constitution.

Regarding the issue of which city in Brazil is best for giving birth in, I really can't pass any objective comment on that, since I'm not a woman. I would add however, that it's quite likely that the best cities would be São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro or Belo Horizonte, since they're the three largest economies in the country and one can expect the best and most modern facilities there.

Cheers,
James

Oh and just one other surprising bit of information, once legally married to a Brazilian citizen or once the child is born in Brazil the individuals are considered to be "inexpulsável". Which means that they cannot be expelled from the country under any circumstances short of being convicted felons who are considered to be fugitives from justice.

This is clearly state in Decreto/Lei 6815/1980 (Lei de Estrangeiro) Art 75, II a) and b)

thanks James and Stumpy,, I hope everything goes smoothly regarding the visa and paper work issues.
I still wait any comments from others regarding the best city to give birth in,based on the type of birth(which is natural birth) and the cost

Nice to know that I am inexpusavel!
Married in Salvador to Brazilian for 17 years, have a child born in Salvador 5.5 years ago. My RNE is long expired and was good for 10 years. We live in CA. & will overtime retire in Bahia.

Hi,

Can you please advice me which hospital you chosen eventually? and how long time it took to complete the paper work?

Since our home base is in Salvador, my wife chose, Santo Amaro Hospital in Graça. Since our baby girl just had her 10th birthday, it's been awhile on the memory of details. All I remember is that it was extremely affordable and possibly free. We had some delivery doctor fees, but that was it. Had it been costly, I would have known, as my wife had no money and I'm not rich either.
We just returned from 2.5 months in Bahia and now reside in beautiful Northern Arkansas Ozarks. 😍

alaamarabeh wrote:

Hi,

Can you please advice me which hospital you chosen eventually? and how long time it took to complete the paper work?

_______
I can only reply to the city and state of SP, Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz is one of the finest hospitals I have seen and I work in Nuclear Medicine in the USA.  It provides absolutely top-shelf medical care on a level of any medical facility I have seen in the USA.