Top 5 tips to live in South Africa

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in South Africa.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in South Africa?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in South Africa!

Thank you in advance :)

1. Patience
2. Patience
3. Patience
4. Patience
5. Patience.

It is unlikely that a store assistant will go out of their way to assist you. Your inquiry will be answered with a curt "over there". BE PATIENT.

When conversing with an African, the strong accent and differing culture can lead to misunderstandings. BE PATIENT.

Our roads are not in a very good state of repair. If you see the car in front of you weaving from side to side, he is not drunk. He's just avoiding the potholes. BE PATIENT.

Beggars will frequently harass you with hard luck stories and pursue you almost aggressively.BE PATIENT.

South Africans are generally inconsiderate drivers. Do not under any circumstances engage in or respond to road rage. You may well be shot. BE PATIENT.

I tender no apology for what may be construed as cynical views. After 41 years as an ex pat I have experienced all of the above, including being beaten and shot at.

Do not despair. The weather is great and the bushveld and wildlife are beautiful. Enjoy.

1. Patience (like our other fellow expat member previously wrote)
You will need this as you go through the visa procedures. Your papers might get lost (not from our side obviously), or you might suddenly be asked to bring another paper, or certified copies of this or that. Just execute instructions, one step at a time, don't argue much, just do it - you'll save energy.

2. Don't let crime get to you
or any other stories about safety, thefts etc. Yes crime exists, yes hijackings are common, but if it's not your time, you'll be OK. I lived here for 9 years and besides house robberies, thank goodness nothing worse happened to me. I am alive fortunately. Ensure you follow the safety process (alarms, lock your car, do not leave things unattended, do not dress up with too much valuables, be streetwise) but make sure you still live your life and enjoy yourself - it's OK to go out at night for dinner, or walk your dogs and jog every morning.

3. Widen your friends circle and include locals
As great as it is to have expat friends and being able to be understood and get advice on how they chose schools for their kids or suburb to live in, it's a wise thing to have South African friends too. Not only will they be of great help to you in your integration and understanding of the culture, they will also be your allies when you get stuck with something here. For instance, once I had to explain something to the caretaker in my building but he spoke only Afrikaans, I quickly dialed a friend to have her translate my message. Or sometimes when I need a reliable source (doctor, etc) they are quick to recommend someone because having been born and bred here they know a friend of a friend of a friend who is a doctor. They also invite you to their braais and that's not a bad thing :)

4. Understand the history
Try to put yourself in the shoes of every single community/ethnic group under the years of apartheid and you will understand why some do what they do or say what they say or behave a certain way. During my first months, I was always upset with my partner (white Afrikaans) until I understood the culture, the mentality. I was also able to understand the tension within some of the black communities too (different tribes etc). This helps a lot so that you do not feel everyone is being racist but understanding how they grew up will help put things in perspective for you and understand why some are still cautious or slow to mingle and mix. And others do not even have a clue how, because they've always known only their own color/race/culture.

5. Perseverance
Developing  thick skin is important in South Africa, after all as they often say - it's not a land for sissies! You need tone tough here, to brave the harsh winter (and please do not think that because you're from Europe or Canada you'll be immune because here not all houses are well equipped or properly insulated), to keep calm when you see yet another giant spider next to your bed or cobra (not often, but it happens, depending where you live). Also persevere when you're trying to get through to someone about a service, for example setting up internet at home, or getting DSTV...you will need lots of it and keep going until you get results. Things take longer for sure, but you need to stay strong even longer than that and NOT GIVE UP.

I wish you the best in your new life in South Africa - it's a beautiful land with awesome people.