Canada to Germany - Language, jobs, housing etc.

Hi,

I was born in Canada but luckily possess both a Canadian and UK passport. I am considering moving to Europe for a year to get some international work experience. I am a mechanical engineering graduate with several years work experience. Unfortunately, I speak only english and of course in one years time frame do not expect to become fluent in anything else.

I am hoping to find work in my field. Is this feasible? How is the economy in the Germany? Is there are large technical/engineering sector?

What are housing expenses like? I am from Vancouver which tends to be expensive, though for $900 monthly or about 1/5 my salary I am able to find a modern 150 sq m townhouse downtown with 2 roommates.

Thanks for any help!

Curtis

Hi Curtis! :) I suggest you to have a look at the Life in Germany guide and view theGermany classifieds as well. It might be useful to you.

I wish you good luck and hope you get lots of replies soon.

Christine

well indeed you will able to find many people who do speak English,

Nevertheless it depends on the premises you are about to move.

So try to be in bigger cities (e.g. Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt)

Well! In fact, Germany is well known for the engineering and the technology.

As far accommodation concerns, it also varies from region to region. If you need some websites let me know (don't forget to mention your desired city).

There are lots of engineering jobs but most of them require you to speak German.  You may find you have better luck with an internship where language skills aren't as necessary, then you could take German classes while gaining experience in the German workforce.  In Stuttgart, you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for under 1000E as long as you don't mind being right in the center of the city.  Fortunately public transportation is very good.