Customs Clearances

In the process of shipping some 5 cub.metres of possessions to Valetta Port from Australia through what I thought was an experienced removalist.  They are taking ages to decide what is necessary so those of you with this sort of experience, perhaps you could advise me further.
Removalists have asked me to provide them with of course passport, proof of residency abroad (I assume rental contract would suffice) and Malta tax registration certificate/or letter.
The latter I do not have as I am self sufficient and at the moment, until Uni. starts in October, a temporary resident.  Any advice, o wise ones????  What is indeed necessary in order to start the lengthy shipping process from Australia?

This is a link to Malt a customs website...

https://customs.gov.mt/individuals-trav … -residence

Contact them direct if the information on the website is not clear.

Terry

Hi,

your boxes will arrive in the harbour and you will have to pay the estimated import taxes to release your items.

After 1 years residency and if you have not sold the goods you will get your money back. Amount will depend on the customs but could be hundreds or possibly 1000 € depending on the goods.

I'm not sure about the rrequirements before shipping but it should include an exact list of the contents with value.

Cheers
Ricky

Make sure you have insurance. It is not unknown for goods to be impounded or go missing and then find them sold - by Customs.
Also, even as self sufficient you should have registered for tax purposes.

note also that in keeping with maltas finest traditions......  not everybody follows or abides by the rules

Thank you all for your responses!  Will send some of this information to my removalist in Australia who doesn't seem to know what to do.  Was already told to kiss goodbye the customs money so I guess the reputation sticks!  Hope to report success "down the track" as we say and it may be helpful to others.  Cheers