New arrivals from Uk and residency

I am not clear on something so any advice would be good.

Our friends advised us to rent for a year and see if Malta life was for us long term. One of our friends has been in Malta for 5 yrs and his girlfriend 1year. We were told that when we arrive we should apply for an ID card.

We are planning on long term as in not returning to the Uk but you just never know what will happen either way.

So on our arrival what is the best practice to do, I read somewhere you can stay for 90 days and then register for residency or does it take longer than that. We also have Uk passports so will our status change or country of residence change? Do we temporarily register or permamently register on arrival.
Im probably just tying myself in knots over it but hearing so many things from different people and I just want the clear version of what we need to do.

You have the right to live and work in Malta as your an eu citizen , applying for residency is essentially an adminstratice excercise and you do that after 3 months , it won't affect your status as a British citizen and it doesn't matter if your staying temporary or permanantly you apply and your granted residencey for five years but it doesn't mean you need to stay for that long

Applications for residency by eu citizens can be done in person or by post but only once in Malta

Hi,

whoever told you to apply for  id cards is talking rubbish !

When you consider yourself resident in Malta and within the 90 days you should register yourself with the Maltese authorities , basically telling them you are now residents. They will issue you with e-residence cards ( not id cards). It normally doesn't take long anymore.

You stay British and keep your passports.

Of course your country of residence changes to Malta if you are residents of Malta. Maybe I didn't quite get the question  ?

Cheers
Ricky

cheers ricky.

Fab Rob thank you for the info - I like to stay one step ahead.

Also found this for newcomers

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _Malta.pdf

roadtripper wrote:

? Do we temporarily register or permamently register on arrival.

there is no temporary v permanent - you register for residence if here over 90 days (or if plan to be here over 90 days). If you leave you can deregister, although many dont bother. If you stay for 5 years, you have to renew. According to EU law there is no need to renew, but the eResidence card only lasts 5 years.

roadtripper wrote:

I am not clear on something so any advice would be good.

Our friends advised us to rent for a year and see if Malta life was for us long term. One of our friends has been in Malta for 5 yrs and his girlfriend 1year. We were told that when we arrive we should apply for an ID card.

We are planning on long term as in not returning to the Uk but you just never know what will happen either way.

So on our arrival what is the best practice to do, I read somewhere you can stay for 90 days and then register for residency or does it take longer than that. We also have Uk passports so will our status change or country of residence change? Do we temporarily register or permamently register on arrival.
Im probably just tying myself in knots over it but hearing so many things from different people and I just want the clear version of what we need to do.

You could,of course, just read the 'sticky' pinned at the top of the forum! 

Redmik went to the trouble of providing the information purely for the benefit of EU citizens looking to move here. That's why it's pinned at the beginning so it saves the same questions being asked over and over again.

Here is a link in case you can't find it!
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

Ray

You know, I provided 'roadrunner' with those links, directly, in a response to one of her previous posts just yesterday or the day before.
Amazing!! some people will 'cut their nose to smite their face'  :/  after criticising me for presenting some of the realities of life here!!
And yet again and unfortunately the information she has linked to 'for newcomers' :D  is out of date and incorrect.

The information required is here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643, though the usual caveat applies; to check the contact details and opening times. I cannot edit that 'sticky' to maintain the information.
Admin were going to let me be able to but the permissions have not been given.

Thanks Fox10ve  :top:

Further to the above:

NB. One must at all times and whilst resident on Malta ensure that one's passport is valid.

I have asked admin to update the article as follows:
This link in the article no longer works: https://ehealth.gov.mt/download.aspx?id=5226
It should be replaced by this one: https://ehealth.gov.mt/download.aspx?id=10380
Also at the end: The usual caveat applies; to check the contact details and opening times. Details correct on 10.02.15.

I am sure the amount of work you put in to this forum has already been appreciated by hundreds redmik, including me.  Would like to see some RHA information sheet for non Eu Australians also provided by the Aussie Consulate.   Form K, for non EU persons applying on economic self sufficiency grounds is no longer apparently, officially available.  Its taken me ages to obtain this information.

Form K is here:
http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Infor … rm%20K.pdf

From: http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Infor … dence.aspx

Bottom of the page.

That link is provided in the original article.

I cannot locate an application for entitlement under RHA for an Australian citizen but would suggest that the Entitlement Unit in Malta may be able to provide one for you. I expect that they would provide one when you attend or you could try writing to request one perhaps?
The address is:

Entitlement Unit
Ex Outpatient Unit
Ground Floor
St Luke's Hospital
G'Mangia
Malta. GC.

Tel: 2595 2400
email: [email protected]
http://www.ehealth.gov.mt

Good luck.  :)

yes sorry for asking the same question I was confused with the conflicting advice I had been given.

this may help our ozzie friends

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/custome … agreements

Out of interest Redmik, where can I find the information that says you have to have a valid passport at all times? I was under the idea that it only had to be valid for the first 3 months of arrival?

That's normal, because your passport is the document that grants you legal stay in another country.

New Horizonz wrote:

That's normal, because your passport is the document that grants you legal stay in another country.

I cant see the original quote to see if this is relevant, but an ID card is sufficient if from another Schengen country

OK, this was discussed at length a couple of years ago and without delving into the archive of previous posts I think it was Ricky who mentioned that at first.
I also think that the 3 month period referred to is because one's passport must have at least 3 month's life on it before entering Malta.
If I also remember correctly coxf001 you were concerned then (when previously discussed) and at that time UK passports were renewed through the Paris office. Thinking on also, you have to renew your eResidence card when it expires so how else do you independently prove your identity and nationality?
Whilst a foreigner's eResidence card may provide some proof of identity it is not a travel document, so how does one travel?
Also, any countries like to know their resident's identity so they can deport them if necessary and that cannot be done without proof of identity and nationality.

redmik wrote:

OK, this was discussed at length a couple of years ago and without delving into the archive of previous posts i think it was Ricky who mentioned that at first.
If I also remember correctly coxf001 you were concerned than and that at the time UK passports were renewed through the Paris office. Thinking on also, you have to renew your eResidence card when it expires so how else do you independently prove your identity and nationality?
Whilst a foreigner's eResidence card may provide some proof of identity it is not a travel document, so how does one travel?
Also, any countries like to know their resident's identity so they can deport them if necessary and that cannot be done without proof of identity and nationality.

Yes I remember the conversation, only I remember being told the complete opposite, which is why I questioned Ricky at the time. I had been informed by a lawyer that works for EU rights, that you don't need a valid passport after 3 months stay. I also don't need to renew my e-residency card being a permanent resident. I just wondered, as you had written it in bold in this post, if there had been some kind of official ruling or something. I have a valid passport. It is just the children and it was that which I investigated before.

Then, when I have time and can fit it in, in my busy schedule  ;)  I will search out relevant information.

A passport is a travel document that  proves your nationality (even if its expired) the ID just proves your residency (so long as its valid).

NB. UK passports are now renewed in the UK and mine was done in under two weeks and that included having to resend one of the documents!!

Terry

Yes, the passport renewal process was changed back to the UK. (I did write 'at that time'  :) )

redmik wrote:

Then, when I have time and can fit it in, in my busy schedule  ;)  I will search out relevant information.

:) Okay, thanks. I have tried before but without much luck. I kind of concluded that; technically it didn't have to be valid and it was left with asking the Maltese authorities to except the childrens' e-residency (the 2 that were born here) without a passport as again 'technically' my evidence of being British is enough to show the children are British. I still haven't done anything about it lol! When I finish uni and start working, then I'll sort their passports out!

Yes tearnet, I was aware it had changed to the UK now and that the childrens' passports have actually come down in price as a result and the paperwork requirements have changed slightly too :)

tearnet wrote:

A passport is a travel document that  proves your nationality (even if its expired) the ID just proves your residency (so long as its valid).

NB. UK passports are now renewed in the UK and mine was done in under two weeks and that included having to resend one of the documents!!

Terry

i need mine renewing by end of may is it just as simple as sending documents, do i need to get pictures signed etc?

Rob, see here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports Top right.

you dont have to renew your UK passport by sending off - there is an option to get an extension to an existing UK passport for one year - apply through BHC in Malta

robpw2 wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry

i need mine renewing by end of may is it just as simple as sending documents, do i need to get pictures signed etc?

You can do it on line then just send the required document to them for verification, very quick  and easy.

Terry