Hello everyone. Visiting Scotland... again.

Hello everyone,

I was in Scotland in September and I loved it so much I have to go back, for longer.   I'm from Portland, Oregon.  So many people told me the first time to prepare for the weather... but I'm from the Pacific Northwest so a bit of rain doesn't bother this guy.

I'm headed back to visit friends in April but I'm a little nervous.  I have £1600, I am wanting to stay 2 months.  I will be staying with a friend in Dalry and I do not need to pay for lodging, Car and of course my friend says I don't need to pay for Petrol either but I will help anyway. 

The last time I was there I was there for 2 weeks and struggled to spend £400.  We eat in most times and we don't do much of the pub thing.  Though we did eat out for lunch... I cant pass up a good chippy and Irn Bru.  I am a little worried about Passport Control.  Worried they won't view my £1600 as enough money to support myself.  The last thing I want is to be denied entry and have to return home. 

Anyone have any advice?  Is this going to be enough if they decide to check funds?  I don't have credit but I will make sure to have £800 cash on me at the airport before I arrive.  I will aslo have a return ticket.  Thanks for any advice or help you are able to offer.

Greg

Hi Greg,
£1600 wouldn't last 2 months if you were staying in hotels so you need a letter from your friend undertaking to provide you with free accommodation. But only show it at passport control if they raise the issue and ask to see something. The general rule is: don't volunteer information, just answer their questions. They may ask if your friend is platonic or romantic. You may think this is none of their business but you must answer. Just be honest and you won't have a problem.

I visited Scotland on 4 separate occasions and was never questioned about my funds.    I live here permanently now!  Of course they will asked where you will be staying and of course you will be staying with a friend. Just have their address and phone number handy incase they ask.  My sister came from South Carolina back in the summer. All she was asked was where she planned to stay and for how long.  She had less than $300.00 in her pocket for spending money.  Of course she had a charge card but they would not ask you to pull out a charge card or cash.  They most likely will ask you to provide evidence of your return ticket home and that's it.  No problem.   Take care and enjoy your stay here in Bonnie Scotland.