Importing clothing

I travel alot to India and often wear beautiful  kaftans i buy there , so many people ask where i got them etc would i sell them one so i decided to design and import some to Egypt . I will smuggle some into Cairo   shhhhh thats  a secret ;) to see how well they sell . The problem is i am told that the importing of fabrics and clothing has been restricted recently to keep the Egyptian industry strong , does anyone know anything about this and how i could possibly import some legally ( they are made of silk not cotton in case that makes any difference)
Thank you for any replies

Hello Deborah,

I've lived in Cairo for 6 years and travel to India often. My husband who is Egyptian and in import/exporting, and I have been imagining bringing clothes over from India also. Whenever I have worn my colourful cottons from India I get comments and I notice when women hear bring things back and wear them also. There are few new shops popping up selling some clothes from India ( a new one our street in fact in Zamalek ) but these few places don't sell a real assortment of cottons or silks which would appeal to so many women and men in Cairo. My husband has worn his cute casual Kortas out, but they were hard to find in India in large enough sizes. Though I am sure we could have them made to order.

Anyway drop me a line and we can exchange numbers if you like and meet for a coffee and chat.

Naveena

Here's some tariff information that might be helpful http://web.ita.doc.gov/tacgi/OverSeasNe … data/Egypt Sounds like an awesome idea--good luck to you!