Halal Restaurant

Have you ever eaten in a Halal restaurant?

I have and I find Halal food a little salty and much fat  :|

Kenguki wrote:

I have and I find Halal food a little salty and much fat  :|

What the heck are you talking about?

Kenguki wrote:

I have and I find Halal food a little salty and much fat

As with any restaurant, the chef had his individual take on recipes. Try another one and ask that they not make it too salty.

Just to educate the OP.

Halal just means the food is acceptable to Muslims, a lot like kosher, but less strict.
Basically, any meat product must have been killed with a small prayer to the Almighty, and a some meats are banned.
That would be any animal that eats meat or lives in two worlds (water and land) putting frogs off the menu.
There are millions of halal foods, and I have idea how many halal restaurants, all serving very different dishes, and varying in a million ways.
To claim halal food is salty is very much like suggesting Chinese food is all made with cat meat - totally false.

(Moderated: rude comment)

I lived in Jakarta for almost four years and I can tell you that Halal food is not for everyone. I didn't care for most Indonesian food and my escape was fast food or I cooked myself short of visiting Bandar Jakarta every two weeks for decent sea food. Compared to Vietnamese cuisine, I would never look at Bakso again. Nasi Goreng is everywhere and  one tires of it whether Indos admit or not. The best thing that happened to Indonesia was  "Breadtalk". I think it originated in Malaysia but really took off in Indonesia.

Does anyone know what Halal food is?

Most fast food in Indonesia is Halal, as is Breadtalk.
Halal isn't a type of food, it's a set of rules as to what you may or may not eat.

Bread is always halal, as long as there are no meat products in it.
Burger king and McD in Indonesia and Malaysia are Halal.

As a note- if you buy from Indonesian supermarkets and cook yourself, you're probably eating halal food, even if it's beans on toast.

Breadtalk sells many pastries with meat in them, probably halal but maybe not.
Suderman has many restaurants that aren't halal as does Blok M.
My local Carefour in Kramat Jati sold pork bacon. I cooked it at my home in Condet. No one was offended.
Muslims still outnumber Christians in CGK but you can even eat non halal foods at Soekarno-Hatta.

Pork and other non halal foods are easily available here, but tend to be very cheap because they don't sell well.
Supermarkets commonly have a non halal section, but it's usually very small.